cocheese

Max. temp to jump

This thread should read "Max. temp to pack" jumping is not the problem...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

It was 103 at SDC yesterday. It sucked standing in the loading area fully geared up for what was supposed to be 5 minutes but turned into 20. :( Once we took off it was ahhhhhhhhh..... yea! :)
Packing really sucks in the heat. Especially when you're a rookie and it takes you 40 minutes. >:(

If it wasn't for the boogie, I'm sure I wouldn't have done 8 jumps. Oh well, everyone was sweating along with me and the jumps were kick-ass fun! B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Depends on how many and where.

I am not sure if there is a max temp for one jump. But if you are going to pack and make more, anything over 100 will zap you after 2-3 jumps. Of course with you are in a fast turbine that helps a bit. Sitting in a 182 climbing in the heat is sometimes as bad as packing.

As for too cold, I think that limit is easier to hit. I jumped when it was about 09 degrees on the ground, negative who knows what at altitude and wind. It was a fun sitfly jump, but afterwards I was unsure of my performance in event of a malfunction because my hands hurt so much. Any thicker gloves would have made it iffy as well, so called it a day.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

By the way is there much jumping in the summer at Eloy?

not on Mondays and Tuesdays, but otherwise they do loads all morning and till 2-3 ish on weekends.. (which kind of annoys... i LOVE sunset jumps, but there isnt much to do if you not jumping so once it stops it doesnt start up again after the temp drops... sunset isnt till 8-9)

if you get out early you can make alot of jumps before the heat (and more importantly the dust devils) pick up...

....now if only i werent working in the middle of the mojave....[:/]

after yesterday, 90s are my new limit.

Got geared up, went through the student dive plan, sweat a little. I was drinking what is tons of water and gatorade for me while waiting during a military shutdown so they could practice air refueling in the dropzone area.

one hour later we get the green light. We load up the plane, and everything is HOT. That c182 was cooking at around 110 degrees. As we get to altitude I start feeling dizzy. My instructor tells me to get into position so we can open the door and spot, but as soon as I move I go to tunnel vision. I can hear the engine of the airplane, but I can't even comprehend anything around me and I look up at my instructor who is holding his hand out for a high five for what must have been a while before I snapped to it. I sit for a bit then am lucky enough to be aware enough and make the call that no, I'm not making the jump.

I can't even move and when I get helped back into the far back spot I pass right the **** out. I don't even really remember the ride down until I got to the ground. I much preferred that over passing out in the air.

Heat-facilitated hypoglaucemia was the culprit. Don't friggin' play around with it was my lesson learned.

Turned out that while I was drinking a lot, I wasn't eating enough. The high heat makes your body's metabolic rate shoot up so that it can sweat more and remove heat. While I was hydrated, I had no food for my brain because it was expended. The natural adrenaline rush hid the early symptoms because it's what the mechanism is designed to do, which unfortunately meant I was 2 minutes late from making a TERRIBLE decision

**** the heat. Naturally I'm getting flak for taking the slow way down by some of the other jumpers :D (endearingly of course)

"I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather be a majestic eagle riding a missile across the sky with sparklers than be an old couch potato." - Jack London (paraphrased)

CorvusCrypto

I sit for a bit then am lucky enough to be aware enough and make the call that no, I'm not making the jump.

Knowing when to say no and being able to say it is a really important skill in this sport. Kudos for keeping yourself safe when you realized you weren't feeling well enough.

And yeah, in the hot weather keeping your system in balance becomes absolutely critical. On the ground take advantage of every bit of shade you can get. Gear up as late as safely possible so you're not roasting in your jumpsuit any longer than necessary. For me, the heat absolutely kills my appetite, so my strategy on a hot training day is to preload for breakfast (which I'm enjoying in air-conditioned comfort!) and to eat a tiny amount of food regularly throughout the day, of a type that'll help to keep things balanced (a little sugar, a little salt). So I'll get small apples, or berries, that kind of thing. I've also started making sure to have small bags of roasted/salted almonds or salty trail mix that I can shove in my pocket and eat on the ride to altitude, because on a busy training day, that might be the only time I have to get some food in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

quade

When do you say " It's too hot to jump" ?

I think 94F is when i quit all activity.

You will never jump at Perris in the summer. ;)

Yeah.. but that is a dry heat:ph34r::ph34r:

Friggin Skydive South Carolina in Chester SC in June 2008 for the World Cup Speed skydiving meet was pretty damn brutal.
NOT DRY HEAT.... not DRY HEAT at all... 100F+ and muggy( 90%+) as hell..

Skyfest was happening.. but most of the people there are used to that shit... like I got used to summers in Florida as a kid.... but when you come from Americas version of Crappy English weather.. aka the Pacific NorthWET... that crap was brutal.