NewGuy2005

I'm over 45 and I do/don't like rap music

As a form of music, Rap is not a preference but I don't dislike it either. WHAT is do dslike is a car at the intersection or coming down the street in my 'hood with windows down blaring that stuff. It is at that point I begin harboring wild fantasies of putting a bazooka round into said offender's gas tank.

There's a lot of good rap out there that isn't gangster.

The Roots, Tribe Called Quest, Atmosphere, and Mos Def are some of my favorites. If you want good lyrics without the gangster or black liberation theology, you can't beat Atmosphere. Put any of those names into Pandora and you'll probably get a pretty good rap station.

- Dan G

LuckyMcSwervy

I started listening to it years ago because my exHusband is a cop who listened to it to keep up with what the thugs were talking about. It helped me in my line of work as well (in the courts).

Some people found it funny that I knew some hardcore gangster rap.

I still like some of it. Old school NWA (Fuck tha Police is a favorite) as well as 911 is a Joke by Public Enemy. Love some old school Coolio, Snoop (love Snoop). I really like Jay-Z but you'll never catch me at a concert. 2 Live Crew was a hoot back in the day. Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Biz Markie, Grandmaster Flash. Biggie was great. LL Cool J, 50 Cent, Nelly, Ludacris. I LOVE DMX's voice (y'all gone make me lose my mind up in here, up in here). Oh, I love Eminem. Kid Rock will always be my #1 if you consider him a rapper.

Damn. I hadn't thought about a lot of those guys in a while!! Thanks!! Time for a new Pandora station!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVeazhEug0 :)

I'm 45 and voted yes. :)

I agree with all your choices there except I would say Eminem is my favorite.

Oh yeah I am 54
Love NWA and Snoop
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

My favorite Pandora station is my Ozomatli station- Ozomatli's music incorporates rock, latin, hip hop and rap so that Pandora station plays it all too. I eased myself into rap music with Jurrassic 5 and Chali 2na. :P My playlist can go from Mana to Jason Mraz to the Coup to Gorrilaz to Molotov - I like it but it can confuse some people!

I know I like a few Atmosphere and Mos Def songs so I may experiment with a new station! Thanks!

I don't qualify to vote, at least, not for 3 more weeks, but I land with the "Not yet heard any that I like" crowd. I have heard a very few hip hop tunes that were tolerable, but no rap as yet. Somewhat like Rhenquest, my library is a rather eclectic mix, but mine has country and celtic replacing the rap and hip hop...

SkymonkeyONE

I'm 50 years old and I despise all things hip-hop related

I think you're missing out.

I have a copy of "Ice, Ice, Baby" in one of my playlists for the purposes of schadenfreude.

;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Child, please. It started before that.

HAHAHA ! Years ago, when I signed up for my YouTube account, that was the very first thing I saved to Favorites. :D:D:D

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

flyhi

I like telling the 'brothas' at work that rap was popularized by Blondie.

Child, please. It started before that.

Even earlier than Bugs by a long shot.

I'm not claiming this as the first; simply an example of what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzKZ7lJRUc&list=PL8BTJe97Pq8r3A7BVZDw4cCgLOrFMtHjR
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CanuckInUSA

It's not an age thing. I am 50 and my favorite radio station is a local Alternative Rock station x92.9, which caters to hipster doofuss 20 something year olds still living in their parent's basements peeps. I don't agree with some of the things the on air personalities spew, but I like their music.

Most of the "alternative" stations should re-think their target audiences. The one in Tampa switched to this crazy "vote online for the next song" type of format. They were pretty shocked at all the 35- to 50-yr-old listeners who wrote to complain! Not to mention, the morning show hosts would take so many calls from that age group, then say, "well, you aren't really in our target demographic..." before dismissing a comment. (but would slam the juvenile comments from the 19- to 23-yr-old who couldn't really contribute to the subject).

I too loved the music, and even the topics/banter of the different DJs. They could have made so much more money on advertising if they had realized their real target demographic and tried a little harder!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

quade

***Say it with me: RAP IS CRAP

I "c" what you did there, but, um, why would you even care?

:D I never could understand any of that shit even back when I could still hear well enough to tell what instrument was being played (Lead, rhythm and bass guitars) although I mistook the opening chords of Van Halen's Jump to be a guitar riff... :S:$

Give me hard rock any fucking day. Van Halen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Metallica, etc.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Basically, I prefer music, songs with melodies. I don't like most rap or hip-hop, but there is some that is brilliant. As with any style of music, some is brilliant and the rest is all crap.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !