NewGuy2005

I'm over 45 and I do/don't like rap music

I'm 42, so I can't answer your poll, but I like some of it.

45 is probably about the cutoff for having grown up with rap; I remember watching Beat Street in middle school, and NWA was big when I was in high school, and The Chronic came out when I was in college. So I think you are right, under 45, it probably is a personal preference, not an age thing.

My feelings toward rap have been the same ever since I first heard it. I love the inventive wordplay, intense emotions, and inventive mixing and sampling. I don't like the repetitive themes though. (Money hoes and clothes all a brother knows...)
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

It's not an age thing. I am 50 and my favorite radio station is a local Alternative Rock station x92.9, which caters to hipster doofuss 20 something year olds still living in their parent's basements peeps. I don't agree with some of the things the on air personalities spew, but I like their music.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

NewGuy2005

I was wondering how many other "middle aged" people like it.

For me it's not a binary answer.

I like some of it, but not all of it.

That applies to most things. I'll listen to any style of music; the style isn't the problem. The problem is whether or not I feel as if it's being done well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CanuckInUSA

It's not an age thing. I am 50 and my favorite radio station is a local Alternative Rock station x92.9, which caters to hipster doofuss 20 something year olds still living in their parent's basements peeps. I don't agree with some of the things the on air personalities spew, but I like their music.

My favorite station, other than NPR, is the local college station. I also used to own a Porsche. Brother!!

I can't remember where I heard this, but I think it is funny.

Rap is to music what etch a sketch is to art

Yes, I know there are some artists that do amazing things with an etch a sketch.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I like some but not all. So, I can't vote because there is no option for that. I never used to listen to any of it at all but my musical tastes have changed over the years. I also find that listening to Pandora "radio" exposes me to music I never would have listened to otherwise.

sundevil777

I can't remember where I heard this, but I think it is funny.
Rap is to music what etch a sketch is to art
Yes, I know there are some artists that do amazing things with an etch a sketch.

Being over 50, I gotta laugh at this as well as the "noise" comment above, as I remember my parents generation saying the exact same thing about rock & roll.
Old farts don't die off, they just get replaced.

These poll results made me laugh (I'm also a no vote).
You kids and your rotten music! And while I'm at it, stay off my lawn! >:(:P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I started listening to it years ago because my exHusband is a cop who listened to it to keep up with what the thugs were talking about. It helped me in my line of work as well (in the courts).

Some people found it funny that I knew some hardcore gangster rap.

I still like some of it. Old school NWA (Fuck tha Police is a favorite) as well as 911 is a Joke by Public Enemy. Love some old school Coolio, Snoop (love Snoop). I really like Jay-Z but you'll never catch me at a concert. 2 Live Crew was a hoot back in the day. Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Biz Markie, Grandmaster Flash. Biggie was great. LL Cool J, 50 Cent, Nelly, Ludacris. I LOVE DMX's voice (y'all gone make me lose my mind up in here, up in here). Oh, I love Eminem. Kid Rock will always be my #1 if you consider him a rapper.

Damn. I hadn't thought about a lot of those guys in a while!! Thanks!! Time for a new Pandora station!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVeazhEug0 :)

I'm 45 and voted yes. :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

I LOVE DMX's voice (y'all gone make me lose my mind up in here, up in here).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjVeazhEug0 :)

I'm 45 and voted yes. :)

I never liked DMX's voice. Too grating. This is more like it:

http://youtu.be/gUhRKVIjJtw?t=55s
;)
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I don't really like rap, but mostly because of the lyrics that espouse the ho, slut, beat her up, she's a decoration to my effen' awesomeness and such.

I like the beat, if it's accompanied by something more than spitting into the mic.

Roll the Bones is a case in point. 3:20 to be exact.

I like the Gorillas and Linkin Park, too. But again, both these aren't unadulterated "rap."
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I've not heard any I like ... yet.

+ 3.

I like telling the 'brothas' at work that rap was popularized by Blondie. It's always good for a heated argument. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

I like telling the 'brothas' at work that rap was popularized by Blondie. It's always good for a heated argument. :)
Don

:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

The only rap artist I ever really liked was Eminem.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

SethInMI

I'm 42, so I can't answer your poll, but I like some of it.

45 is probably about the cutoff for having grown up with rap; I remember watching Beat Street in middle school, and NWA was big when I was in high school, and The Chronic came out when I was in college. So I think you are right, under 45, it probably is a personal preference, not an age thing.

My feelings toward rap have been the same ever since I first heard it. I love the inventive wordplay, intense emotions, and inventive mixing and sampling. I don't like the repetitive themes though. (Money hoes and clothes all a brother knows...)

Im over 50 and I like a lot of Rap. I loved the early old school stuff. Sugar hill mob, public enemy, Run DMC Beasties etc...
But I have always had an eclectic taste in music.
From classical to hardcore punk.
Some stuff floats my boat and some stuff doesn't.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?