turtlespeed

Bike Riders . . . What would you do?

Attempted murder as far as I'm concerned. I'm armored as hell when I ride so if someone did that to me and I was still mobile after, I would likely end up in police custody for my reaction. I'm not known for my long fuse when someone tries to harm me.
cavete terrae.

As a rider.....when I see other riders doing stupid shit like that, it pisses me off. They deserve what they get. It's no wonder cagers don't always respect our right to the road.

On the other hand.....when drivers cut me off or move me over in MY lane......I want to stop and invite them to dance.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

As a rider.....when I see other riders doing stupid shit like that, it pisses me off. They deserve what they get. It's no wonder cagers don't always respect our right to the road.

On the other hand.....when drivers cut me off or move me over in MY lane......I want to stop and invite them to dance.

Don

Yeah - Biker was stupid.

Yeah - the trucker committed attempted murder.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So.....you think the trucker did that on purpose, or was just getting out of his vehicle ? I couldn't really tell if the truck was moving or stopped when the door opened. It DID look like the truckers arm and leg were outside the vehicle when the bike hit the door.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

So.....you think the trucker did that on purpose, or was just getting out of his vehicle ? I couldn't really tell if the truck was moving or stopped when the door opened. It DID look like the truckers arm and leg were outside the vehicle when the bike hit the door.

Don

Not to me - I have stopped it at every point I could - it looks like he opened it to hit the biker.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.
I fully blame the rider. Not only should he not be lane splitting but to do it at that speed WITH a passenger is just a closed coffin service waiting to happen.
Still not quite as bad as this one.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-jE_52kdY
:S:S>:(

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

jono

At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.
I fully blame the rider. Not only should he not be lane splitting but to do it at that speed WITH a passenger is just a closed coffin service waiting to happen.
Still not quite as bad as this one.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6-jE_52kdY
:S:S>:(

There's nothing wrong with splitting traffic if you're not a fuckwit about it. It's generally safer, relieves traffic, and is better for the environment even. HOWEVER, doing it like a retard gives all of us a bad name.
cavete terrae.

turtlespeed

The lorry driver 'may' have just made a mistake by not looking otherwise he is a c***.

The motorcyclist was going a touch faster than I would have done in that position BUT was doing nothing else wrong.

Always ride like some one is going to kill you .. if they don't .. WHoopeee and Bonus day.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Is it my imaginations or did the rider speed up when he started to pass traffic?

As a rule of thumb when splitting traffic I never went more than 15 mph faster than the traffic to give myself time to react to the dummies in the cages (quite a few have tried to play fuck-me games cause they didn't like what I was doing).

I've been told that going 25 mph faster than the flow of traffic can earn you a reckless endangerment ticket
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Operating under the idea that the driver did it on purpose ( as a couple of other posters have analyzed ), he would get a "private" consulting session from me.

Damn, if the cagers aren't trying to kill you, the wildlife is;)

The lorry driver was wrong, the Biker was wrong,
they should both be prosecuted.
In all three countries I've lived in
that overtaking maneuver is illegal.

And yes I rode bikes for over thirty years
I used to do exactly the same thing
I some times wonder how I managed to
make it to sixty.

Think once, think twice .think bikes

Gone fishing

grue

Attempted murder as far as I'm concerned. I'm armored as hell when I ride so if someone did that to me and I was still mobile after, I would likely end up in police custody for my reaction. I'm not known for my long fuse when someone tries to harm me.

That is a huge assumption that the truck driver did this on purpose. Think just for a second. Truck breaks down on a busy road, traffic backs up pretty quick, jackass bikers is more important that everyone else on the road, truck driver starts to get out of the truck not expecting fuckstick to come buzzing past everyone doing 60 mph.

For the record, I ride also.

There is a disturbing trend in the motorcycle community to always blame the automobile driver and never dissect incidents like we do here in the skydiving community. From this trend comes no learning.

It is my belief that many accidents are the fault of the bike rider. Riding too closely,poor lane position makes you invisible in traffic. Couple that with erratic, last minute or unexpected movement and you have a recipe for a fatality.

I place 99.9% of the blame on the rider. The driver gets .1% for not looking before climbing out of his truck.

Bikes are a fantastic way to defeat gridlock and lane-splitting is fine (and perfectly legal in many places), but only up to 35' mph. I'm pretty sure that's both California and Georgia law.

Splitting lanes at high speed with a fucking go pro on your head like a retard is NEVER OK.

Pissed off drivers stuck in gridlock who maliciously try to hamper safe/legal lane-splitting of motorcyclists need to get their heads out of their asses. Much like people who think it's their right to drive in the passing lane all the time; it's not.

Chuck

jono

Exactly.
The trucker never saw him coming.
Attached is the screen capture.

I do 4-5000 miles a year cycling, and a cardinal rule is to never pass another vehicle (parked or moving) close enough to be caught by an opening door. That is even dumber on a motorcycle.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***At exactly 30sec in the vid you can see the driver looking down and forward. NOT to the side and back which is were one would be looking if you were trying to "murder" someone splitting lanes.

Exactly.
The trucker never saw him coming.
Attached is the screen capture.

I do 4-5000 miles a year cycling, and a cardinal rule is to never pass another vehicle (parked or moving) close enough to be caught by an opening door. That is even dumber on a motorcycle.

We call that a Door Prize around here.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I ride my bike the same way I drive my truck. No lane splitting. If I pass, it's one vehicle at a time. At some point, some time, someone is going to change lanes without signaling and I would be a greasy spot on the road. Just wait my turn; turn up the tunes and relax. There's no place I need to go so quickly that I arrive dead.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I should have clarified that this is all assuming it's intentional. If I do something dumb and someone else does something dumb but not malicious and it causes an accident… well, shit happens.

Actively trying to harm someone, on the other hand…
cavete terrae.

Riding so fast you cannot stop to avoid obstacles: bad. Opening your door without looking? Bad. Opening your door to intentionally block a biker? Criminal. Even if filtering is not legal, should you really try to kill the biker to prove your point?? No.

If they are in a country where filtering is neither legal nor common-place, then fair enough - the cage driver has no reason to anticipate a biker wizzing by, and as long as he didn't deliberatly hit the biker, the biker is totally at fault. In any case, it seems to me the biker was filtering too fast, which in my book makes the biker at least partially responsible. But even so, there is simply no excuse for deliberately causing an accident, no matter how much the biker had it coming.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss