amstalder

Hitchhikers

What are your thoughts on picking them up?

I passed an old man hitch hiking yesterday on my road (country road pretty close to town).

I always feel guilty passing people by, but I'm small and not confident in my ability to defend myself and my infant son in the event the hiker is dangerous.

Hells to the freakin no....

I've only picked up one hitch hiker ever...I was driving home from campus one day and noticed a girl walking in the rain that I recognized from my culdosac. She was grateful, and since I recognized her as a neighbor I hardly consider it a hitch hiker...

You never know what kind of fucking weirdo you may pick up B|

>>>>my infant son

You get a pass.
You get to be your son's good Samaritan.
Don't feel too guilty about it.
The big packing fuckers like me will be along shortly to pick him up. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've hitchhiked across the country a few times, it's an interesting experience. It's hard to stay smelling nice when you're in a sleeping bag every night and walking for miles at a time.

I pick them up occasionally, never any bad experiences. Usually they are nice and thankful.

I won't pick them up and I wouldn't ever hitchhike myself anymore. I did it a few times (without incident) back when I was young and immortal.

Far too much risk. And I'm an adult male in pretty decent shape, with a few useful skills.

For you, a smaller woman with a baby? No fucking way. Period.

While the weirdos and psychos are fairly rare, the downside of "catching" one is just too severe.

And the biggest problem is that the most dangerous usually appear harmless. Look at Ted Bundy. Or the Scorpio killer. Handsome, charming, psychopathic killers.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I havent picked up a "real" hitchhiker in years.. BUT...
Here in Colorado there are always backcountry skiers that REALLY appreciate the ride back to the summit. And unless I'm jam-packed I almost ALWAYS give them a lift up. That's good karma there. I mean, I have a rack and everything so why not?

A couple of years ago I picked up two guys along the highway between Golden and Boulder - obviously sportsmen of some kind - with these huge backpacks. Turns out they were paragliders who started off at Lookout Mountain and "caught a great thermal and tried to ride it all the way to Boulder but didn't quite make it"..

JerryBaumchen

Hi Ashli,

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitch-Hiker

JerryBaumchen

PS) It is actually a very good movie; I saw it when it came out, it was really scary then. :o

This is basically what I imagine happening every time I pass a hitchhiker B|

Thanks for making me feel like less of a jerk for not stopping :)

BigMikeH77

Here in Colorado there are always backcountry skiers that REALLY appreciate the ride back to the summit. And unless I'm jam-packed I almost ALWAYS give them a lift up. That's good karma there. I mean, I have a rack and everything so why not?

The last two times I picked up hitchhikers was near ski areas. Both times they were:
- Ski area employees.
- Foreign nationals on temporary work permits, (which is why they had no car).
- Babes
B|

A couple of years ago I picked up two guys along the highway between Golden and Boulder - obviously sportsmen of some kind - with these huge backpacks. Turns out they were paragliders who started off at Lookout Mountain and "caught a great thermal and tried to ride it all the way to Boulder but didn't quite make it"..

I don't know what the record is from Lookout, but I heard of one launching from Boulder and almost making it to Ft Collins.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Picked up my fair share of them and have stuck my own thumb out a few times. No really bad experiences.

I do remember picking up a kind of anti-social dork one time in my 2 seat sports car. Not enjoying his company too much. A few blocks later I saw a cute girl hitch hiking, so I pulled over to the curb, gave him the boot and gave the girl a ride. He said "But I was here first!"
I said "It's my car.":P:D
I thanked that girl for helping me out like that. B|

I still pick up the occasional hitchhiker. Like someone posted above, I'm a fair sized guy in good shape and a pretty good shot, so I don't have too much to worry about.

I've taken a few rides......after out landings.

Heck, I even got the one guy to do his FJ course.

When I am alone or with another male friend in the car, I would consider purely on the looks of the hiker. With SO and/or my boy, sorry dude, it's walking time for you.
;)

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

BigMikeH77

As a paraglider pilot, I thank you..

I've not flown across country for a while (jeeze has it been that long?) but when I have, I've nearly always got a lift.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

amstalder

I passed an old man hitch hiking yesterday on my road (country road pretty close to town).

I always feel guilty passing people by, but I'm small and not confident in my ability to defend myself and my infant son in the event the hiker is dangerous.

I think it's fine for other people to do. :)

JohnMitchell

Picked up my fair share of them and have stuck my own thumb out a few times. No really bad experiences.

I do remember picking up a kind of anti-social dork one time in my 2 seat sports car. Not enjoying his company too much. A few blocks later I saw a cute girl hitch hiking, so I pulled over to the curb, gave him the boot and gave the girl a ride. He said "But I was here first!"
I said "It's my car.":P:D
I thanked that girl for helping me out like that. B|

I still pick up the occasional hitchhiker. Like someone posted above, I'm a fair sized guy in good shape and a pretty good shot, so I don't have too much to worry about.

Good thing her name wasn't Aileen Wuornos. But then again she wasn't cute.

have stuck my own thumb out a few times. No really bad experiences.

Glad to hear it. Nor, presumably, did the drivers have bad experiences with you. You're a clean-cut guy, who I suppose :P is at least well-enough looking to attract Vskydiver, who looks friendly and harmless. That's probably because you're friendly and harmless. But FWIW, you do sorta-kinda vaguely look like Ted Bundy when he was in his clean cut mode. And with all due respect, if one of my daughters picked you up hitching, I'd be really, really, really upset.

But guns are The Great Equalizer, John. And if any of you guys in good shape with some personal skills picks up some harmless-looking/acting soul who suddenly whips out a gun while you're behind the wheel, your size, shape, speed and skills might not be enough to adequately counter the threat before you're gravely harmed.

Movies and cheaper vehicles basically ended hitch hiking.

Listened to a pretty interesting article about the demise of hitch hiking. They claimed that instances of bad things happening to drivers or hitch hikers was very low. At the time it was relatively safe, just based on the odds, and the fact that despite higher occurrence of hitch hiking the people hitching and the people giving rides were generally average safe people.

Then movies came along and scared the hell out of people, and more people had access to alternative ways of getting around.

I will pick up people sometimes. I normally drive by them, give a visual check, and then swing a u-turn.

I am more likely to pick-up a well traveled looking person with a back pack than I am some young person with no gear. Safe bet that the hobo grizzly adams looking guy is just trying to get further up the road.

But I always have a gun on my person to even the odds. RE what Andy said, if they pull a gun on me then I get to play holywood stunt man and drive in to a tree. :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

JohnMitchell

Made me google, didn't cha? :D

Yep, quite the gal. . ..:S

Yep, got a movie made about her. I should watch it sometimes. :D

I've never picked up a stranger. Never will. You just never know. I saw my friend walking one time and gave him a ride, because we knew each other. I have gotten rides back to the DZ from strangers before from off-dz landings and have given other skydivers rides back when I went to look for them but that's different.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

amstalder

I just took a journey through wikipedia learning about various serial killers.

Yep, don't think I'll ever pick up a hitchhiker now.

Why not? They are people too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun