Zep

And people ask me why I left the UK

I think you're right.
I asked my wife and here in Spain the kids call
a female teacher Senorita es igual si esta casada o no.

I can only imagine that if in the UK one of her pupils called
her Madam she'd of had an epileptic fit.

Gone fishing

Speaking as a (sometimes) card-carrying feminist, no, that wasn't a big movement, it was a statement by some. And among my group, it happened in the 1970's.

Politeness is nearly all in the intent, not in the reception.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Speaking as a (sometimes) card-carrying feminist, no, that wasn't a big movement, it was a statement by some. And among my group, it happened in the 1970's.

Wendy P.

Women should know their place . . .

don't take that wrong . . .

Women deserve a place in the hierarchy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Zep, I agree this is daft - but much as you seem to enjoy bashing the UK (and accepting that there is plenty wrong over here), you're going to have to try harder than that. :P

The story is about a theory posited by Professor Jennifer Coates. Professor Coates may be British, and her theory may be stupid, but she is not 'the UK'.

No word is ever going to be entirely neutral - each and every term is loaded with meaning (intentional or not). On the one hand, it gives language a richness and diversity; on the other hand, it's an absolute mine-field...

Whilst technically the teacher is correct that there is a lingering problem with the fact that "miss/mrs" is still in our vocabulary, and technically there is nothing wrong with bringing awareness to the fact that gender equality is a slow and ongoing evolution - she simply seems to have missed the point entirely... You just can't be vexed at every single "inappropriate" term in the world - you'd be upset every time someone opens their mouth!!! Heck, you could even find reasons to be offended by what is *not* said - especially in the UK!!!!! :D:P

I *do* get her point (and I even somewhat agree with her), but it's hard to take someone seriously when they take things too far, and in my opinion she does (take things too far).

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

turtlespeed

***Speaking as a (sometimes) card-carrying feminist, no, that wasn't a big movement, it was a statement by some. And among my group, it happened in the 1970's.

Wendy P.

Women should know their place . . .

don't take that wrong . . .

Women deserve a place in the hierarchy.

Fuck You! Not in a good way, BTW! JUST SAYIN'! NEEDLE DICK! Don't take this personally, BUT! Gosh, Darn it! I wish I had more insults. :(:$

:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You left the UK to come to the US to get away from a police state? Really? How'd that work out for you?:|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

You left the UK to come to the US to get away from a police state? Really? How'd that work out for you?:|

Pst .. He's in SPAIN:P .. The map in his profile sort of gives it away :P:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

***You left the UK to come to the US to get away from a police state? Really? How'd that work out for you?:|

So you're saying he took a wrong turn, eh?:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******You left the UK to come to the US to get away from a police state? Really? How'd that work out for you?:|

So you're saying he took a wrong turn, eh?:P

Well sort of, I ended up in France first an that was horrendous their all bloody foreigners
and speak like poofs:P

Gone fishing

More PC correctness, Oh please save us from these idiots :S.

My Daughter will be starting her University place, with a view to teaching this year. Think she would rather be called Miss than some choice words used, that is said these day against teachers by their students. Its got nothing to do with anything but politeness, which is not a bad thing to re-enforce in children.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun