Glandu

Security code on the back of your credit card

The USPA New or Renewing Membership Application is asking from now on to provide you security code in order to process the application. I'm very concerned about giving this security code. Is it safe to do so and why do they ask this for? I did contact the USPA headquarter and here below what I got in response:
"The CVV code is not required. The industry either requires that all transactions include the CVV code or you have to pay a monthly fine. The trouble (staff time) of notifying all members that we cannot process their request until the code provided outweighs the monthly penalty."
My question is if the CVV is not required, why do we have to pay a monthy fine ? (amount? and to whom?).

You, the person owning the card, does not get fined or pay a penalty. The business that takes your card would pay the "fine" to the CC clearing house... in this case USPA would poney up the fundage as a part of doing buss, since as they stated, "...The trouble (staff time) of notifying all members that we cannot process their request until the code provided outweighs the monthly penalty."
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Very std for pretty much any online etc purchases in the US. In *theory* it proves that you physically have the card as the number isn't captured on the swipe.

I can't think of an online transaction (in particular) that I've made in years that doesn't require it...many paper applications require it too.

No biggie. Separate from the PIN number for Pin and Chip or US style cards. Don't know if Euro cards even have them.

In any event, no big deal.

A lot of online businesses ask for it now. I suppose it'll get easier to steal over time and they'll add another code to prove that you're the owner of that code...

There IS a scam going around where someone will call you and give you all your information and then ask for that number on the back of your card. Don't give it to them.

There is pretty good fraud protection in place for credit cards. I've heard it's not so great for debit cards, so it's probably not a good idea to use them interchangeably.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Zep

A personal identification number (PIN, pronounced "pin"; often redundantly PIN number):P

Yeah, I put my PIN number into the ATM machine.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

skydiverek

***Don't know if Euro cards even have them.

Yes, our cards include: Swipe, Chip, CVV, and Paypass/Paywave (remote no-touch transactions from 3-inch distance or so).

Do your cards with the chip, Etc have a protective sleeve to prevent the bad peeps that carry a black box from stealing your CC info?
One Jump Wonder

Krip

******Don't know if Euro cards even have them.

Yes, our cards include: Swipe, Chip, CVV, and Paypass/Paywave (remote no-touch transactions from 3-inch distance or so).

Do your cards with the chip, Etc have a protective sleeve to prevent the bad peeps that carry a black box from stealing your CC info?

You can buy those for like $1. There are other preventive measures, like maximum transaction value of $17, and maximum number of daily transactions. Also, you get a text message each time your card is used, so you are alerted to thief's activity.

Krip

******Don't know if Euro cards even have them.

The consumer has no liability for misuse/theft via a Paywave/PayPass transaction.

You'll find the official rules here. https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_fs_data_storage.pdf including:

- Do not store sensitive authentication data contained in the payment card’s storage chip or full magnetic stripe, including the printed 3-4 digit card validation code on the front or back of the payment card after authorization

So if it's a card not present transaction, the merchant has to be able to accept the 3 figure code, validate it then remove it from all records. Otherwise they are not compliant with the industry's PCI security standard.
Anne

airdvr

The receiving business pays a smaller percentage to the card issuer if the CVV code is captured. Strictly a dollars and cents move.

Interesting.
I wonder if the scanners in gas pumps can capture it optically.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

We cannot run (punch in) a card if the CVV doesn't match our machine wont process the card. We can run it on our paypal virtual terminal without any info bur out physical machine we have to have zipcode and CVV and for amex and discover the address as well if we are punching in the number and not swiping it

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

bob.dino

*********Don't know if Euro cards even have them.

The consumer has no liability for misuse/theft via a Paywave/PayPass
transaction.

Probably true just a PIA until they sort it out.

The little bit I've read about the subject, in the US we can opt out from the new tecnology and just get a regular CC.

A text message informing some one theres a problem is only going to help peeps that text .

The security system is getting better, the crooks are trying to keep up. The whole system relies on the no liability clause. AFAIK they have kept up with their part of the bargain eventually.

They did with me, didn't even try and collect the first $50. Thirty years ago;)
One Jump Wonder

In AU, contactless payments are limited to $100. The banks can run a statistical model to keep fraud at an acceptable level.

The little bit I've read about the subject, in the US we can opt out from the new tecnology and just get a regular CC.

I recently moved to France, where paywave/paypass haven't been widely rolled-out yet. I really miss it. Paying by card taking 5-10s is awesome.

bob.dino

In AU, contactless payments are limited to $100. The banks can run a statistical model to keep fraud at an acceptable level.

I recently moved to France, where paywave/paypass haven't been widely rolled-out yet. I really miss it. Paying by card taking 5-10s is awesome.

We live about 100 miles from the Canadian border. Before 9/11 both citizens from countries could visit the other side of the border by a simple 1 minute interview in our cars with the border guards

Sometime after 9/11 everyone need a passport, a simple drivers license was good enough. I resisted for a number of yrs even past the olympics.

A couple of yrs ago the US came up with the idea of a special enhanced drivers license for Wa state residents that could be used to cross the border. All the info included in a passport is now contained in a chip in the drivers license including our biometric data for facial recognition.

Now the way I understand it. All we have to is put our dl on the dash of our card and theirs some kind of a RF machine that the borde r guards use to read the chip and we won't even have to stop.

I think when the government tightened our northern border the canucks attending the boogie at LP that didnt already have a passport, had to jump thru some hoops to get across the border to attend the boogie.

I feel a lot safer now, knowing that hoards of terrorist's, wont be able to descend on the US from the north.[:/]

My enchanced DL came in a aluminum lined envelope to keep whoever isnt supposed to from reading the chip.

Now Instead of wearing a aluminum foiled hat in my house. I wear a double lined alum. hat in the house to prevent the government from reading my
mind:ph34r::S
One Jump Wonder

bob.dino

I swear when I left Canada 10 years ago the banking system there was more advanced than it is here in France today... I'm amazed at the number of businesses that take cash or cheques but not credit cards... I get why they refuse credit cards for small purchases (each transaction costs them a fee), but the fact that they accept cheques still??? Example - I had to get an MRI scan done... Did not realise I had to pay in full in advance (& theoretically get reimbursed later - ie: never - but that's another story)... Surprise: they accepted cash or cheques but not cards... Yep... Sure... Lemme just get €360 out of my wallet - no probs ('cause doesn't everyone walk around with that kind of money on their person for just such an occasion?). Heck, last week I was at a yard sale and a lady told me she *preferred* if I paid her by cheque!!! Nuts!!!

[/rant over]
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss