rickjump1

Wounded Warrior Project is a Fraud- Making Millions Off Disabled Veterans

Yes this looks legit to me. I've see much more popular charities with significantly greater operating expenses - for example, the Make-A-Wish foundation. These are still great organizations.

Not-for-profit doesn't mean that the organizers work for free. Sorry to burst your bubble

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Here's an eye opener~

Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Presidents Compensation - $228,131

Vietnam Veterans of Foreign Wars National Home for children
Executive Directors Compensation - $93,046

Veterans for America
Presidents Compensation - $202,500

Paralyzed Veterans of America
Executive Directors Compensation - $187,253
Chief Financial Officers Compensation - $212,275
General Counsel Compensation - $202,960
Director of Development Compensation - $201,648

National Military Family Association
Executive Director Compensation - $78,129

Marine Semper Fi Fund
President, CEO & Founders Compensation - $91,239

AMVETS
Executive Directors Compensation - $152,054 a year

Veterans of Foreign Wars
President (Compensated through affiliates) - $187,246

Wounded Warrior Project
Executive Director Compensation - $199,171
FORMER Officer Compensation - $230,00

Make A Wish Foundation
President, CEO Compensation - $439,256

American Red Cross
President, CEO Compensation - $995,718

Habitat For Humanity
President, CEO Compensation - $239,338
Vice President, Asia Office Compensation - $270,751
National Director-Senegal compensation - $249,128

Lions Club
Executive Director Compensation - $199,951

AARP
President Compensation - $235,237

AIDS United
President, CEO Compensation - $171,845

Each Goodwill has their own per state, but since I’m from the southern Wisconsin area here you go
Goodwill Industries of Southern Wisconsin
President, CEO Compensation - $380,290

Greenpeace Fund
Executive Director Compensation - $11,941
Executive Director Compensation from Affiliates - $107,467
FORMER Executive Director Compensation - $66,902
FORMER Executive Director Compensation from Affiliates - $66,902

International Humane Society
President Compensation - $192,603

Susan G Komen for the Cure – GUESS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU LEAVE THIS ORGANIZATION
FORMER President, CEO Compensation - $456,437

Breast Cancer Research Foundation
President Compensation - $557,992

Breast Cancer.org
Executive Director Compensation - $185,506
Founder, President Compensation - $199,409

The American Cancer Society
CEO Compensation - $914,906
National Vice President of Divisional Services (RETIRED) Compensation - $1,550,705
Deputy CEO (RETIRED) Compensation - $1,407,719

WWW.SAVE-A-VET.ORG
-not listed with Charity Navigator but if you’d like to see any financials as they are a 501c3 organization and these are public records...

PRESIDENT, CEO – NO COMPENSATION FROM ORGANIZATION OR AFFILIATES. 100% VOLUNTEER

VICE PRESIDENT - NO COMPENSATION FROM ORGANIZATION OR AFFILIATES. 100% VOLUNTEER

CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER - NO COMPENSATION FROM ORGANIZATION OR AFFILIATES. 100% VOLUNTEER

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Remster

Did you think 100% of any donation to any charity go to the cause they serve?

To me, it looks like the analysis of their performance is respectable.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.UoZJnPmxd8F

Not 100%, and the CEO should not be compensated $311,000. Hardly respectable (unless you are the CEO). Looks like this charity was set up to make money for the top executives. It's legal, but it's wrong. [url]http://asknod.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/wounded-warriors-project-a-scam/
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

It appears so many were created just to make money for the employees.

Some of these are for veterans http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/.
On a personal level, one of the biggest scams I saw while on active duty was making troops contribute to the "United Way" on payday. I doubt if the whole 2d Armored Division could cough up that CEO's salary.

rickjump1

***Did you think 100% of any donation to any charity go to the cause they serve?

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.UoZJnPmxd8F

Not 100%, and the CEO should not be compensated $311,000. Hardly respectable (unless you are the CEO). Looks like this charity was set up to make money for the top executives. It's legal, but it's wrong. [url]http://asknod.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/wounded-warriors-project-a-scam/

Why shouldn't someone running and expanding a business be compensated well? Do you think you get the best from industry by paying peanuts?

A non-profit is still a business you know. I like to see executive pay tied to performance but you don't tend to be able to slack at the top very long. The last few years have been hard on charities and keeping some even afloat has been a challenge.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

the CEO should not be compensated $311,000. Hardly respectable (unless you are the CEO). Looks like this charity was set up to make money for the top executives. It's legal, but it's wrong.

Do you think a CEO and the executive board of, say, McDonalds making millions upon millions in salary and tangible benefits is respectable? They line their pockets with the profits from slaving their workers for less-than-living wages, and have the public pick up the slack by providing medicaid/food stamps/other subsidies..

Tell me why it's wrong for aomeone in charge of running a multi,multi million-dollar charity that benefits veterans to have a salary of roughly one-tenth of what a for-profit CEO would make?

BigMikeH77

the CEO should not be compensated $311,000. Hardly respectable (unless you are the CEO). Looks like this charity was set up to make money for the top executives. It's legal, but it's wrong.

Do you think a CEO and the executive board of, say, McDonalds making millions upon millions in salary and tangible benefits is respectable? They line their pockets with the profits from slaving their workers for less-than-living wages, and have the public pick up the slack by providing medicaid/food stamps/other subsidies..

Tell me why it's wrong for aomeone in charge of running a multi,multi million-dollar charity that benefits veterans to have a salary of roughly one-tenth of what a for-profit CEO would make?

McDonalds? Slave workers? Call your congressmen.

It's called charity- 1: "full of love for and goodwill toward or love of humanity". You can call it a business, but not a charity. It's already been pointed out that some of the CEOs of the largest charities receive zero compensation.

To throw even more salt on the wound, WWF is also anti 2nd Amendment and will not openly support any organization related to hunting, shooting, etc raising money for veterans, yet they will accept contributions from these same organizations all day long.

If you want to donate to good organizations, two that are highly recommended and have helped veterans out considerably with the disbursement of funds are;

The Green Beret foundation : http://www.greenberetfoundation.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation: http://www.specialops.org
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

While I do not not fault non-profits for paying high salaries to the top-level executives, there are percentage thresholds that indicate what percent of the money is going to research/help. In short, 1) WWP kinda lost its way on the percentages and got called on it, 2) the Obama administration bailed them out by helping to adjust those percentages through a federal donation program via government employees - and, it's not a hard leap to see the quid pro quo exchange for the 2nd amendment.

Read these to get some history:
http://www.military-money-matters.com/wounded-warrior-project-tax-returns-analyzed.html#axzz2CRWXIdJg
http://gunsnplanes.blogspot.com/2012/11/wounded-warrior-project-rejects-gun.html

This was on their website last year:

WWP is proud to be a part of the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). The mission of the CFC is to promote and support philanthropy through a program that is employee-focused, cost-efficient, and effective in providing all federal employees with the opportunity to improve the quality of life for all. WWP's CFC is #11425.

This is the new version: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/donate/combined-federal-campaign.aspx

FROM an email to WWP (Note: this is from last year)

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN
Public Relations Director
O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

And, if you visit their website; they retain the services of a direct ad-marketing firm

Scroll to the bottom of this page: https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/default.aspx?tsid=66&campaignSource=WEBSITE&source=ONLINE
You'll see the banner ad for this firm: http://www.charityengine.net/

Money that could be better spent on the WW's.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/veterans-and-military/wounded-warrior-project-in-jacksonville-fl-3806

Thumbs up from the BBB as well.

Lots of charities are very very large organizations. That takes manpower. A recent Wounded Warrior Project Golf tournament was probably the largest demo we ever jumped into, tens of thousands of people at a golf tournament at a ritzy place in Tampa. Golf tournaments are often high-dollar events, with rich people. If you want to rub elbows with those rich people to get them interested in your charity, then arguably you need to be part of that 'class' to access them.

84% of their collections going to their programs sounds pretty reasonable to me looking at the worst charities below....

Your choice whether or not they are worth it. If you don't like it then don't donate - that simple.

there are far worse charities out there and simple searches can help you discern.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Remster

Did you think 100% of any donation to any charity go to the cause they serve?

Leap for Lupus Foundation does just that. Last year we raised and gave over $20K to the University of Washington for Lupus research. Of course, we're a small charity, all volunteer and funded out-of-pocket (mostly mine :D). 100% of the money raised in our annual gear raffle, wonderfully supported by the gear manufacturers and dealers, goes directly to research. Even our t-shirts are purchased and silk screened by Valinda and me. Beer at the boogie? Sometimes donated, sometimes I just buy it myself.B|

Our sole payout is when people make a Leap for Lupus tandem jump after collecting $500 or more in donations, similar to a walk-a-thon. Then, of course, we have to pay the DZ for that jump. But most DZO's are very good at giving us a great discount rate. I think they appreciate what we're doing.

I always say "If you have too much spare time and money, start up a non-profit charity. That will take care of both." :D

I find that most 'charities' are in business to keep themselves in business…. I have had cancer, there is no cure, but people donate millions to "awareness"…All the $$$ donated to live strong and Komen could have been better spent elsewhere Cancer screening should be free for everyone anyway….
I was in First Class (on passes) on AA one day and sat next to the CEO of St Judes. He told me they have only like 70 beds… I found out later he made 800 grand a year. All he does is fly around in first class begging for $$$…. How can he live with himself with that salary knowing people who donated are thinking they are helping sick kids?

WickedWingsuits

******Did you think 100% of any donation to any charity go to the cause they serve?

Why shouldn't someone running and expanding a business be compensated well? Do you think you get the best from industry by paying peanuts?

A non-profit is still a business you know. I like to see executive pay tied to performance but you don't tend to be able to slack at the top very long. The last few years have been hard on charities and keeping some even afloat has been a challenge.

WRONG!

A charity non profit is not a business. its a charity. Its purpose is to to collect funds for the designated purposes as set out in the charter. It doesn't have "competition per say. Doesn't have shareholders to answer to. Typically doesn't have bondholders and debts to service, etc.

They are a form of business. I think some salaries are abusive, but a well-run charity will be more effective than a poorly-run charity.

And one way to get a well-run charity is to pay someone who's good at running them.

2 primary measures of a charity include its effectiveness in addressing whatever cause it addresses, and the amount of money that it spends on addressing the cause vs. administration, advertising and salaries. The numbers of well-run charities are normally public (it might be part of its being a 501(c)3 -- I don't know), and they can be compared.

If you think that a low-paid CEO is important, here is a list of 10 with low-paid CEO's.

Personally, I think effectiveness and overall administration vs. income are the best judges; after all, an overpaid CEO probably will drive that second number down noticeably, putting it beyond a good evaluation regardless.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can't get to the link from work.

I'm trying to recall where I got it from...but generally a not-for-profit is not considered heavy in overhead until they are over 25%.

ARC President is close to seven figures in salary.

You haven't been snookered....anymore than anyone else who donates to large organizations.

If you really want to make a difference, visit any retirement home, veterans home, etc. during the holidays. Take the children if they are well behaved. Call ahead of time to ask the staff what little gifts you could bring. Socks, lap blankets, large print books, etc are nice. It teaches the kids a great lesson and the folks there appreciate it. You don't get to write it off, but it really hits home.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Yep. Loneliness and feelings of irrelevance are two things that many old and/or disabled people really fight.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Duckwater

I find that most 'charities' are in business to keep themselves in business…. I have had cancer, there is no cure, but people donate millions to "awareness"…All the $$$ donated to live strong and Komen could have been better spent elsewhere Cancer screening should be free for everyone anyway….
I was in First Class (on passes) on AA one day and sat next to the CEO of St Judes. He told me they have only like 70 beds… I found out later he made 800 grand a year. All he does is fly around in first class begging for $$$…. How can he live with himself with that salary knowing people who donated are thinking they are helping sick kids?

Partly true. http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=8310ef5d00670110VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1

They help approximately 65,000 children a year.

Couple of highlights:

Since St. Jude was established, the survival rate for acute lymphoblastic leukemia, the most common type of childhood cancer, has increased from 4 percent in 1962 to 94 percent today.

All medically eligible patients who are accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay. St. Jude is one of a few pediatric research organizations in the United States where families never pay for treatments that are not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay. In addition to providing medical services to eligible patients, St. Jude also assists families with transportation, lodging, and meals. Three separate specially-designed patient housing facilities—Grizzly House for short-term (up to one week), Ronald McDonald House for medium-term (one week to 3 months), and Target House for long-term (3 months or more)—provide housing for patients and up to three family members, with no cost to the patient. These policies, along with research expenses and other costs, cause the hospital to incur more than $1.8 million in operating costs each day.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jude_Children%27s_Research_Hospital

EDIT: In short; the CEO is responsible for an ~$657,000,000 annual budget.

In lieu of presents to each other at Christmas; my family donates money to them each year. Been a family tradition since the 60's
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

wmw999

They are a form of business. I think some salaries are abusive, but a well-run charity will be more effective than a poorly-run charity.

And one way to get a well-run charity is to pay someone who's good at running them.

2 primary measures of a charity include its effectiveness in addressing whatever cause it addresses, and the amount of money that it spends on addressing the cause vs. administration, advertising and salaries. The numbers of well-run charities are normally public (it might be part of its being a 501(c)3 -- I don't know), and they can be compared.

If you think that a low-paid CEO is important, here is a list of 10 with low-paid CEO's.

Personally, I think effectiveness and overall administration vs. income are the best judges; after all, an overpaid CEO probably will drive that second number down noticeably, putting it beyond a good evaluation regardless.

Wendy P.

Without beating a dead horse. The definition of a business is to operate a commercial enterprise to earn a profit to return such profits to the owner/shareholders. All of which is strictly excluded from a charity.

The Harvard Business Review, Wall St. Journal, etc. have all published many studies that show NO link between Executive compensation and performance. In addition other studies have shown that it often leads to excessive risk taking and short term objectives vr. long term goals.

Setting aside all the examples of CEO's that bankrupt or destroy companies and yet still walk away with the "golden parachute".

The definition of a business is to operate a commercial enterprise to earn a profit to return such profits to the owner/shareholders. All of which is strictly excluded from a charity.

And the definition of a charity is an enterprise that tries to maximize the value of its donations and assets to benefit its cause (as opposed to stockholders).

I agree there's often no connection between executive compensation and performance -- at some levels. It'd be foolish to promote someone who was recently a janitor simply because they come cheap. There are tons of examples of charities that have had assets and/or income siphoned off by either incompetent or dishonest employees.

Wendy P.

rickjump1

***Did you think 100% of any donation to any charity go to the cause they serve?

I don't know anything about WWP, so cannot comment on that. However I don't agree with the above premise. You cannot only look at CEO pay.

As a non-profit would you not be better off with a leader, making $350,000 per year, being succesful in driving donations to $10,000,000, than a volunteer leader who can drive donations to $2,000,000?