VectorBoy

Rubicon

Anyone driven the Rubicon jeep trail? Details?

Not me But i did listen to the album Rubicon, by tangerine dream, in my stoned teen years, does that count:D;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

and how bout the Journey's tune by same name from the Frontier's album back in the early 80's? (Fuck, I really dated myself, eh?)

Sorry seniors squeak and sinker but those two musical examples are weak! Try KILLING JOKES tune by the same name late eighties, can't remember the album name sorry.

Up near Lake Tahoe? I ask cause someone was telling me there was another Rubicon down south...

Personally no...
Know a few who have tho... (at least the one up here)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Skyesspot (Dz.com ) has been there a few times. She says that it's basically a Boot camp for off roading. Ya might want to PM her for more details. She's sweepin now n I don't want to disturb her ;)
I know another guy who broke a rear axle there. He had an Army Surplus Dodge Ram.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Time to resurrect a very old thread. :)

Not sure if VectorBoy is even still around the DorkZone, but has anyone driven the Rubicon Trail? You know that county road from Georgetown to Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have owned a Jeep Wrangler since 2001 and have done some offroading in Colorado and Moab, though my offroading adventures were nothing more than entry level excursions into the back country. However my 1999 Jeep Wrangler's is showing it's age, it's PCU died on me again for the 2nd time and I just sold it to a neighbor for dirt cheap and I picked up a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Edition. If you are going to mod a Wrangler for offroad driving, this is the model to mod. Anyway I have just put the Rubicon Trail on my bucket list, something I would like to do in the not too distant future. I need to gain more local offroad driving experience and slowly add some mods to my Jeep. Not taking anything away from Moab and other hardcore gnarly challenges, but the Rubicon Trail appears to be the Meca for offroading.

So has anyone done the Rubicon Trail?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yup Did the trail that summer 03. Intense. Very focused slow driving.

Axle lockers are mandatory, IMO 4x low T-case gearing both of which you have on your Rubicon are mandatory. Before those existed I could not believe the level of finesse required for that trail, but it has been run by locals for decades without. 33" tires minimum with a few inches( Or more) of lift helpful. Axle articulation is golden this trail will have you twisted up. The right tires ( MT or AT) and the ability to deflate down to around 13 lbs and still have ground clearance will make it better.

Unlike other famous or extreme trails this short 16 miles is relentless and does not have bypasses for obstacles other than the most extreme portions and there are obstacles every 40 feet practically. Expect damage, under carriage scrapeage will occur very often. What gets scraped will depend on your trail savy and finesse. Damage to upper body is not unheard of.

Go as a group you will need spotters, A club with experience is better and the club will know what parts typically fail and might have most of them, going with the Annual Jamboree turns it into a party much like a good skydive boogie. Plus the Jamboree has helicopter support for parts That may brake from the Georgetown NAPA.

The year I went we were in front of a chrysler group were they take people with zero offroad experience in a group of 20 vehicles led by very seasoned guides in stock rubicons. The lead jeep driven by a guide who knows where to put the tires tasked everyone behind to follow the leader exactly and they would be fine a lead and lag pathfinder on motorcycles read the road ahead and assisted lagers behind. They caught up to us at the springs ( a private property owned by Jeep for hosting awesome parties) traumatized due to their steep initiation into the extreme but the vehicles were fine. jeep would wash the vehicles in Reno and take another group through the same week.

Off road finesse is the key a huge lift and tires cant buy you and can become a detriment. I did a suprising amount of trail welding on other peoples parts that trip. Pm if you have questions.

Yup Did the trail that summer 03. Intense. Very focused slow driving.

Cool ... I think for someone like myself trying to secure a slot in the annual jamboree would be the way to do it. But I need to gain some local experience first.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over