grimmie

Official NHL 2013-14 thread!

Halfpastniner

You know... you guys had me all pumped about your west coast hockey clubs so I went to the game when San Jose came to town.

I thought it may have been the Sharks minor league team that showed up:P

I don't hear the Pen's mentioned in this thread at all..... what gives!?

Look who I picked for the Cup FinalB|

Wow....the Wings take a first-period lead and actually hold on to it........I think they owe beer. :)
Really looking forward to the Games. Gonna be a lot of great hockey.

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

The Winter Olympics spectacle begins in days. Here are my predictions for the Gold hockey finals:

Womens

CANADA vs USA
USA will win. They're just that much stronger than Canada this year so our ladies will have to settle for Silver.

Mens

RUSSIA vs SWEDEN
Tougher one to call. Sweden has a better team overall, but Russia will be uber-motivated to win at home. I give it to Russia in a squeaker/thriller.

(Canadian men will be fortunate if they even get a sniff for the bronze)

John (what do I know... I bet on the Bronco's :S)

Sid has been in a bit of a slump and Stamkos may not play. Geno and Ovie are on fire and will be in front of their home crowd. Sweden has a great line up. Finland has great goaltending. The Czechs have some talent and old guys Jagr and Nedved, but suspect goaltending. Team USA has the best goalie in Quick, if they score some goals they'll be tough to beat.

It's going to be fun!

I'm also seeing the Russians as a powerful team. I have Russia v. Canada (Sid v. Ovie). The US is grouped with Russia, Slovakia and the Kopitar team. Canada is in Group B with Finland, Norway and Austria. Group C has Sweden, Czech, Switzerland and Latvia.

I see Russia/Canada finals, with Russia pulling it off.
Then I see US v. Sweden for the bronze, and pretty much a need for a strong goaltender for the US to pull out of that one.

The Canadians will look great coming out, but will have beaten up on the weakest group.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Luongo to Florida for a fourth line center, a third rate goalie and a used puck bag?

What is Tort's doing? And now they are shopping Kesler?

Why do GM's go along with a losing coach's requests for player trades?

At least Dustin Penner had some pretty funny tweets on getting traded. http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/ducks-trade-forward-dustin-penner-to-capitals-goalie-viktor-fasth-to-oilers-030414

Penner ALWAYS has great tweets. Penner and Jenny Scrivens (Ben's wife) are the greatest.

Kings got Gaborik for Frattin and a couple of picks. I'm a bit concerned about this. Kings could have used another LW, but he's certainly an improvement over Vey or Toffoli.

That's a GREAT deal for the KINGS. If he's still a bit hurt and a bust, he's only a rental, and he sure as heck will score more than Frattin's 2 goals.

He'll also be playing for a new contract, always a good thing for a team. And I see the CBJ's are picking up some of his $$$$. A good deal.

BIG win for the Wings tonight over Boston. Howard was stellar.

The younguns have more than carried their weight, but we need Datsyuk back on the ice. This year has easily been Babcock's best coaching job.

Don
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

BIG win for the Wings tonight over Boston. Howard was stellar.

The younguns have more than carried their weight, but we need Datsyuk back on the ice. This year has easily been Babcock's best coaching job.

Don

You got that right! Even with the penalty kills, they pulled-off a win against the best in the League. The 'Griffin Kids' have done what they were hoped to do. I can see some of them not going back to Grand Rapids. Those older players with 1-yr. deals are going to be gone and some whose contracts run out at the end of the season are in jeopardy. Babcock has done a fantastic job. I can see why he's up for Coach of the Year. With what he's had to deal with this season and to get the Wings into the play-offs is more than remarkable. IF the Wings do make it to the play-offs, I'd like to see those young boys from Grand Rapids there. They earned a place in the play-offs. That coach in Grand Rapids must be pretty darned good. Amazing season.

Chuck

Kings over Sharks in 6. Very tight series. Hertl will be back. And Raffi Torres hasn't had his yearly suspension yet, so he'll be back for a few minutes of ice time. Just depends on whose head Torres takes off (Stoll's injury hurt the Kings
Ducks over Dallas (though Dallas has caused some fits for Ducks AND Kings too)
Avs over Wild in 5. Wild have been hot. Avs are too young to know they shouldn't win.
Blackhawks over Blues (Toews ain't missing it and my preseason predicted Stanley Cup winner Blues are all beat up.)

East:
Bruins over Wings (sorry, Detroit). Nobody in the East can compete with them. Everyone in the West can.
Tampa Bay over the Habs (I just love the way TBay plays. Unless the Malone thing distracts and Bishop's wrist is worse than I think they'll take it. To me, this is the series to watch)
Penguins over Lumbus - Look for the Penguins to win despite looking like fuckups
FLyers over Rangers. Old school matchup. The Rangers are deep and playing some solid hockey. Something about Philly, though...

I have a six pack riding on the Kings vs Sharks with Skybytch

Good luck with that......I'm 0-3 betting against her. [:/]

Although one of those involved her flashing The Rack (tm) at a WFFC beer distributor for a free case.......so I kinda broke even on that one. :)

Don
It's a free-for-all."