grimmie

Official NHL 2013-14 thread!

Okay. So I was correct about the asshole Sharks. They are looking damned good. 12 games in and +28 in goal differential is just sick. And Couture is looking good with in excess of a point per game. They're beenn rolling but it looks like they may cool off - if just a bit.

Anaheim is hanging in there. (Speaking of anaheim, I don't do much on twitter, but I do follow Penner. The dude is fucking AWESOME and I check on him every few days. He knows how to handle trolls like no other, concussed or not).

And who the hell predicted Colorado doing what it's done.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well, being stuck with the attached fella isn't an awful thing. I took this photo last month. Giggy is still pretty damned sharp. You see what he did to Boston and Pittsburgh this year? Stoned them.

I don't suspect the Avs will lose much of an edge with Giggy.

Dammit. Jeff Carter put on IR. Who knows for how long? There are only a couple of Kings games in the next week against Nashville and Buffalo. But if it takes longer, this hurts. Carts being hurt explains his minus 3 rating the last couple of games.

Kings called up Tyler Toffoli and Linden "Oy" Vey. To make space the Kings waived Keaton "Traffic Cone" Ellerby.

In other news, the $edin$ brother inked matching 4 year, $28 million contract extensions with Couver. Seems as though a couple of choice pieces of the 2014 free agent market are now off of it.

We're a quarter of the way through the season and one thing looks pretty clear so far: the Eastern Conference is looking bad. There are 8 teams in the Western Conference with 30 points or more. There is no team in the Eastern Conference with more than 29 points (that's Boston).

And those are mighty bunched up tops in the West. Depth is probably going to be what causes any separation as injuries start to pile up. Biggest injury is Stamkos. The Ducks were without Selanne and Getzlaff. Even my beloved Kings have lost Carter and Quick and Stoll to injuries but seem to have some able backups.

Quickie again on the injured list...makes me >:(

But then again, Scrivens, shows great potential so i'm like :|

Then i realize my boy Carter is on the injury list for at least 3 more weeks...so i'm like :(

By the way, Selane is awesome and has had a great career but man is he old as Jesus. He gotta retire already don't cha think? :|

Teemu's old but he's got a mouthful of new teeth. And yes, when he refers to Brodeur and Jagr as "kids" it says something.

Carts out has sucked. But it has been impressive to see how Toffoli, Vey and Pearson stepped up. I think Kopitar is playing some of the best hockey two-way hockey I've ever seen him play. King pulled his head out of his ass and is working harder than anyone out there. And my favorite player - Justin Williams - again just quietly out there kicking ass. But I don't think there's anyone in hockey playing better now than Mike Richards (since Stamkos got hurt).

Willie Mitchell has me scratching my head. He's looking a bit lost out there at times.

Calgary canned Jay Feaster as GM. Then promoted Brian Burke. The Harvard Law educated journeryman GM with a fiery temper and history of feuds with, well, anybody who will throw down with him.

Let's see whether he hires Ron Wilson to coach. [Sly]

On another note, Bill Ranford is apparently the best goalie coach who ever lived.

streaker

:PHmm.....Last time I checked the Blackhawks were at the top of the entire NHL.....GO HAWKS!!!!!!

B|

The Kings are a single point behind them (down by five points but having played two fewer games). And St. Louis is six points down but with four fewer games.

But the Western Conference - wow! The Pacific Division, particularly has all three Cali teams doing very well and very tight.

I'll hate you on Sunday afternoon. (Have you seen the stats on the Kings backup goalies? It's been nuts - and both Jones and the Professor have made highlight reel saves. It's the sort of goalie controversy I don't mind having - yes, Vancouver, suck it!)

streaker

Will the Hawks show the same desire and drive as last year...Or will they enjoy the success of last season a little too much???

GO HAWKS!!!

Thus far they've done all right. This afternoon we get to see what I've been waiting for. The Hawks and the Kings are the two best teams in hockey right now (yes, San Jose is up there and Anaheim is playing great as long as Penner, Getzlaff and Perry are on the ice) and both are, I think, underachieving.

"But lawrocket," you may say, "They've got a combined 14 regulation losses in 68 games." To which I say, "Yep. Imagine what the Hawks will be like when they pull their heads out of their asses and play to their abilities." Same wth the Kings.

Both teams have sick depth - every forward line can get you (when Mike Richards is the third line center it says something). Kings are a bit more stacked on defense (Willie Mitchell got hurt yesterday, so I'm expecting Matt Greene to be plugged in after being back from his injury).

The Hawks just traded for LaBarbera. Yes, Crawford and the Bhulin Wall are injured. But there's this Finnish guy named Antti in goal for the Hawks. No, not that Finnish guy named Antti between the pipes. Another one. And he's looking pretty good (yesterday excepted). Got me wondering whether Chicago was hiping to get the backup of the Kings' backup - because I can't recall ever seeing a situation where the backup goaltender (Scrivens) posts a league best save percentage and leads the league in shutouts after only ten games but is sitting because his backup (Martin Jones) is playing just as well - if not better. And they both have outperformed a guy named Quick.

I'm really wondering who will get the start in goal for the Kings. Jones or the Professor? That alone has got to be a nightmare to prepare for. Either can go on any given night, so scouting the tendencies and prepping is bad enough. And considering the general lack of tape on them to find the tendencies is a nightmare.

The outcome of today's game won't determine who is a better team. Chicago got shellacked yesterday by Toronto (who also beat the Kings a couple of days ago even though the score was 3-1). If the Kings win, awesome! But it won't prove the Kings are any better. It means they won.

And I have a Christmas party to attend at 300. [:/]