mrubin

Sad Day for Baseball

San Diego Padre great Tony Gwynn died. Although I'm not a Padres fan, I always had the greatest respect for Gwynn for both his playing ability and his loyalty to his team. He passed up a lot of money to stay in San Diego and that's a very rare thing in sports today. He played the game the way it was meant to be played and he will be missed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/17/sports/baseball/tony-gwynn-8-time-national-league-batting-champion-is-dead-at-54.html
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You won't see that kind of loyalty to a team much, if at all, anymore.
Hope some of the young guys take it to heart and knock off the chew. Someone brought some to practice every year in high school. Glad it made me sick the first time I tried it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

In 2000, we were down team-training 4way at Elsinore and on an off-day, 3 of us went down to San Diego, picked up tickets from a scalper, and were there for the Padres Home Opener. We got in the front gate a touch early, and what do we see? One, and only one Padre, standing in the middle of the crowd, verbally welcoming fans to the ballpark, smiling huge and shaking every hand offered (including mine). I had wanted to take in the game just to see Randy (Big Unit) Johnson pitch for the visiting AZ Diamondbacks. Instead, I went away from the game incredibly impressed by the down-to-earth superstar that was Tony Gwynn.

RIP Mr. Gwynn. You sir, were a class act.

RIP Mr. Gwynn. You sir, were a class act.

He was Indeed.

I was out 90 miles east of San Diego in Borrego Springs one Saturday watching Tony Gwynn give a talk to the local little leaguers...it was simply amazing how he related to both baseball and his fans.

It was once revealed back in the day... Tony would leave two paid tickets at 'will call' under the name Ferris Buller & they were sometimes picked up and used. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~