Amazon

Does your company value you for you???

- email me - peter at shankman dot com - with your physical address -

I have heard this sort of slick marketing before, and I won't fall for it again!

:P

I will definitely buy your book, Peter, and help keep you in the life you are accustomed. ;):)
W/r/t what you said in the above post, I could not agree more and look forward to reading it (as well as sharing with my husband whose employees in his thriving business are very happy).
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

HAHAHAHA! :)

I was actually serious - Nice Companies is my third book - and for each one, I go on Amazon the day it's released and buy a few hundred copies at regular price. I call it a donation to the Karma box. When I meet someone who wants to know more about me, when I go to a potential client meeting, and yes, when the book comes up in conversation with people who I consider "closer" than the norm, because we share a common bond, I'm honored to send them a copy - on me.

It's good Karma. My first cat was named Karma. She still looks after me and keeps me humble, despite being gone from this world for a few years now.

So yeah - If you want one, I'm happy to send it. Seriously. No strings. :)

Already purchased. :)
Off-topic, but I purchased a book by the publisher, Hachette, not long ago and wondered why it took SO much longer than my usual Amazon purchase. I did some research...[:/]

And you know, a very smart woman (Marg aka "nerdgirl") and I were pm'ing many moons ago and a book came up I wanted to purchase...I thought it was strange she made sure to add not to purchase from Amazon. I asked why (of course), and it made sense to me but..well..it was so much cheaper on Amazon and I love a deal. :$:|

people who I consider "closer" than the norm, because we share a common bond

BTW, I find it lovely you always offer yourself as a "date" to your various functions.

Back to the topic: I actually really admire Steve Jobs. I am not sure if a Steve Jobs-type would have completely broken me to work for, or if he would have been the best thing ever for me to have worked for out of college (I was quite used to perfectionist meanies at the time). It would definitely be one or the other, though.

And I would never work for him now (if it was "now" back then). That's for sure.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Iago

I really don't know why they would actually do this.

A number of reasons, but you have to figure in all of them including tax benefits. When the bean counter counts ALL the beans it makes "sense" to wager the employee will die.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Andy9o8

Per the article, since 2006 the law now limits this to the highest paid 35% of employees. Personally, I don't think it should be more than around the top 10%, but I presume the 35% figure was a compromise struck to get enough Republicans to vote for it to pass, and to avoid a veto by President Bush.

Ah, I have to confess ignorance of that law. Thanks for the update. Even with the compromise, the peasants will no longer profit their masters even more by dying. That's a good thing. :)

Iago

******I really don't know why they would actually do this.

A number of reasons, but you have to figure in all of them including tax benefits. When the bean counter counts ALL the beans it makes "sense" to wager the employee will die.

And that's entirely possible and believable. We pay $X in policies, we have Y employees die each year. Y*Z> X. I still find it REALLY disturbing.

I have worked at several places where basic life insurance was an employee benefit. Not million dollar life, but a couple of ten thousand. Payable to your family, not the company.

Such life insurance is a pretty standard item in Canadian benefit packages.