Nataly

Need advice from cat people...

quade

******Does anybody important in your life and is indispensable in your home have allergies to cats? Boyfriend? Whatever?

Nope. I think my boyfriend is more excited about getting a cat than about moving in together!!!!

Alrighty then! Just wanted to check because that can have enormous consequences. Some people think, "Oh the other person will be fine if they just take (insert medication here)" which, let me tell you, is not always going to be the case. Forcing an allergic person to live with a cat is beyond inhumane.
I'll admit I'm "that person". I'm allergic to cats, I go through the whole nine yards if I don't take an allergy pill. I never planned on havung a cat but I do. I just couldn't resist him!! He was so adorable!! Well now he's a terror but he's still cute. Havung to take an allergy pill very night is worth having the terror in my life.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

*********Does anybody important in your life and is indispensable in your home have allergies to cats? Boyfriend? Whatever?

Nope. I think my boyfriend is more excited about getting a cat than about moving in together!!!!
Alrighty then! Just wanted to check because that can have enormous consequences. Some people think, "Oh the other person will be fine if they just take (insert medication here)" which, let me tell you, is not always going to be the case. Forcing an allergic person to live with a cat is beyond inhumane.
I'll admit I'm "that person". I'm allergic to cats, I go through the whole nine yards if I don't take an allergy pill. I never planned on havung a cat but I do. I just couldn't resist him!! He was so adorable!! Well now he's a terror but he's still cute. Havung to take an allergy pill very night is worth having the terror in my life.

Right! But a significant other might not feel the same way. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

wmw999

The kennel where the cat currently lives is more traumatic than two moves with the same people and same furniture. If you travel regularly, consider getting two compatible cats. They really can play with each other.

And that is a cute kitty

Wendy P.

+1...do not let this idea pass you by. You and the cat will enjoy.

Amazon

*********The kennel where the cat currently lives is more traumatic than two moves with the same people and same furniture. If you travel regularly, consider getting two compatible cats. They really can play with each other.

And that is a cute kitty

Wendy P.

yes .... one cat is never enough when you start down the road to the CCL.

I keep it at two... and two dogs to keep the cats entertained.

:)

Or if you start them out really early in life...:)

OMG that's a winner!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Love it!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

promise5

*********Does anybody important in your life and is indispensable in your home have allergies to cats? Boyfriend? Whatever?

You need to teach him Mozarts "Rondo Alla Turca":ph34r:

I've had cats for 20+ years, and I think I now qualify as a Crazy Cat Lady.

I don't think cats are typically bothered by moving places (unless it's 1500 miles across the country, but then it's only the drive they don't like). Especially if you're moving from a smaller place to a bigger place. I think she'll be happy just to be staying with the same human, and the sooner you get her the better.

As far as having two cats (who didn't grow up together), my experience is that an adult cat is more likely to form a good bond with a young kitten than with another adult cat. If you decide to get a buddy for her, I would definitely suggest a small kitten. She will be less threatened by it and can teach it who's boss while it's still little. Plus, they'll probably be a lot more playful together.

Anyhow, no need to think about two cats just yet... Go get this one if you've already fallen for her. :)

I keep it at two... and two dogs to keep the cats entertained.

Same here! :D

While I am more of a cat person, we adopted a female "sister" for our male dog three years ago. I thought females usually took to men, but this bitch is a mommy's girl all the way! I ADORE her! She is a beast! When people ask what she is, I respond, "Part gorilla. Part wild boar. Part bunny rabbit (she is SUPER soft and so sweet)." She is so happy all the time and loves to wake me up panting her stank-nasty breath in my face with her paws on my arm (she has always had nasty breath, but vet says her teeth/health are great! And no, it is not from eating cat poo. :P). If ever there were a model for the phrase "bull in a china shop", she would be said model. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I think I now qualify as a Crazy Cat Lady.

I warned my husband early on that at age 60, all my cares for fashion will fall to the wasteside and it will be nothing but cat sweaters for me. And cat socks. And pants that say, "Meow!".

B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

PLFXpert

I think I now qualify as a Crazy Cat Lady.

I warned my husband early on that at age 60, all my cares for fashion will fall to the wasteside and it will be nothing but cat sweaters for me. And cat socks. And pants that say, "Meow!".

B|

I have a few different of pajama pants with cats on them. Bad Kitty, Meow, Fat Cat/Tall Cat/ Posh Cat. Yeah, I'm single. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

However he is of the opinion that getting a cat before moving is a bad idea for the cat. And I'm worried he may be right...

No, no, no!!!! Go adopt that precious kitty now! Many older cats sit in cages for far too long because everyone wants kittens. It's so heart breaking. I would adopt them all if I could. I admire your dedication to the cat and doing your homework first. Too many kittens are adopted and then dumped when they get big.

I wouldn't get a second cat anytime soon. Let the cat get used to you and the new move. She will be fine, but it is true, that older cats have less coping skills than kittens. When you're ready for a second one, a kitten would be much more accepted by Princess than an older one.

Good luck and enjoy the heck outta that cat!

Amazon

***He's not suppose to be on the piano. I'm such a failure when it comes to training him.

Mine ends up there all the time... and seriously one time it almost sounded like he was playing....:ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zgQAp7EYw Tis not my cat...

Well at least it started to sound like that.:)

Not quite a Tom and Jerry quality player, but pretty good for a real cat! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0DLvqTwTEY
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My cat just turned 10 last week. He was never good with me trying to bring a "friend" into the house for him (even tiny kittens). He is currently living in his third country, and has made the cross-U.S. move a couple of times. I'm lucky -- he travels well (even in airplanes). He also does not get freaked out by any kind of move. I've taken him to stay with friends or at the local "pet hotel" if I'm out of town too long. He's happy to see me when I get back, but while I'm gone I've been told that he takes it all in stride.

Location is not so important as the family. Princess will be happy to have her own family that doesn't change. The transition from her foster family to her permanent family might be a little tentative at first, but she'll relax after a little while. She is still quite young enough that she won't permanently feel like she's meant to be bounced around between humans forever.

Incidentally, in reply to something else you wrote in your original post: this is the exact situation where you should say, "fuck it." From your first paragraph, it almost sounded like you decided to go in search of your pet. Once I realized you were so anxious to get THIS pet, then it all made sense, and everyone else's answers fell right in line with what I was thinking.

The sooner you start that transition, the better. Go get her NOW! :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

From one CCL to a CCL-In-Training... GO GET HER NOW (if you haven't already).

I've moved with my cats (yes plural) and they've all done just fine. Give her some extra attention during and right after the move and she'll be good.

In case you didn't get that first part... GO. GET. HER.

:)

Thanks for everyone's feedback, and thanks for all the tips and hints... My boyfriend and I have discussed it and we agreed that if she is not already adopted, we will try to pick her up on Friday (I'm not working Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I will be there to reassure her when she arrives). We have left a message at the refuge (no answer) and are very much looking forward to hearing from them :)
I'm going to make a list of what to get before she arrives, otherwise I'm certain we will go overboard with toys and shit!!! My place is still small, so I need to stick to the essentials for now...

I'm thinking:
- sleeping bed/blanket
- litterbox (and scoop and kitty litter - will ask what brand she is used to)
- food (and food dish / water dish - will ask what food she is used to)
- scratch post
- brush and nail clippers
- a travel cage

Anyhing else come to mind? I will need to put away my beautiful hats... Otherwise, I don't have much stuff she could really destroy (although she is supposed to be quiet/calm)...

Watch this space!!

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'd call whoever has her right now and tell her you'll be there to pick her up Friday. That way, there's no way she'll be taken by someone else! :P

One thing I'd add to your list of things to get is a good brush. Shedding during the summer can get crazy if you don't brush them regularly.

Edit: sorry, just saw you had brush on there!!! Enjoy that beautiful girl!!

Nataly

Thanks for everyone's feedback, and thanks for all the tips and hints... My boyfriend and I have discussed it and we agreed that if she is not already adopted, we will try to pick her up on Friday (I'm not working Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I will be there to reassure her when she arrives). We have left a message at the refuge (no answer) and are very much looking forward to hearing from them :)
I'm going to make a list of what to get before she arrives, otherwise I'm certain we will go overboard with toys and shit!!! My place is still small, so I need to stick to the essentials for now...

I'm thinking:
- sleeping bed/blanket
- scratch post
- a travel cage

Anyhing else come to mind? I will need to put away my beautiful hats... Otherwise, I don't have much stuff she could really destroy (although she is supposed to be quiet/calm)...

Watch this space!!

Add a sticky roller thingie to pick up cat hair before you leave for work from your clothing... That way you do not look like a furball when you get there.

I'm glad to hear you want to adopt her. I'll add my two cents in about moving; don't worry about it. I've had cats where every two or three years we moved across country, and they did just fine. (complements of Uncle Sam)

As for your list of things she'll need, bring anything she has from her old home that is still with her--blankets, toys etc… It will help if she has something that is familiar during the initial move.

With lots of love and attention (while establishing rules, IMMEDIATELY) it will soon feel like she's always been part of the family. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Amazon

Add a sticky roller thingie to pick up cat hair before you leave for work from your clothing... That way you do not look like a furball when you get there.

Good tip!! :D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

Check out a furminator. Super-handy for long-haired cats. Use it outside/on your balcony.

Pick a vet. Book a checkup/get to know you. That way if she becomes ill or hurts herself, you already have a relationship with a veterinaire.

Look at Feliway if you're concerned about her being stressed for the initial few days. Vet can provide. Really does work; we've used it.

As someone else said, hair rollers for your clothes. Carrefour has 'em.

Anything valuable/delicate should move into a closed cupboard. Some cats deliberately piss or shit on your clothes/bed when stressed or angry with you. Until you know she's not a total pain like that, play it safe with the nice clothes.

Congrats on moving in with the boy madame :P.

ps: les chiens sont mieux.

Yay! You'll love her.. I've had as many as 3 cats and a dog in a small trailer (I never intentionally adopt animals - they always seem to adopt me!) My oldest cat who recently passed away moved 5 times or so in her life and she did fine. And she was a cat who was scared of her own shadow!

Nataly

I'm thinking:
- sleeping bed/blanket
- scratch post
- a travel cage

Watch this space!!

Don't forget the big pink bow to adorn her cage for the ride to her FOREVER HOME. :$:$:$

And a nice welcome to the family dinner is nice too. SL got filet mignon.

Sophia Lucia loved those little touches. :D

But I'm a freak so.... :P:P:P:P