BaronVonBoll

Opinions requested

Ok. situation... five months ago I was a quality control auditor for a concrete company. Checking work against the prints to ensure correct products. This was a stressful job but not very physical. I weighed in at 206 lbs. I changed jobs and took a lead man position actually building the products (Putting forms together). Very physical and stressful position. 12 to 16 hr. days. in five months I lost 38lbs. My wife is getting concerned as my weight continues to fall off. As guy, I generally don't go to a doctor unless I am truly hurt. How far should I go before I see a doctor whose (imo) gains by telling me something is wrong. I think if I feel fine I'm doing ok. Opinions?

You don't mention how old or tall you are, but as long as you feel well, it's probably not an issue. 170 used to be considered the "standard weight" of an average adult male. 38 pounds in five months is a bit quick, but I think you've already accounted for it in the amount of physical labor you're doing.

If you only go to a doctor when you're "truly hurt," then I assume you haven't had an annual checkup in a number of years. If that is the case, then it probably wouldn't hurt to go just for that. It would also set a base line for you for subsequent ones. Even if you feel fine, you should get an annual, get blood drawn, do the whole cholesterol thing. You NEED to track these things. I know it doesn't sound like something a "real working man" needs to do and it might not sound like it if you "feel fine," but you do.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

48 years old
5'10''

and your right last physical was when I was 40. Again at the wife's insistence.

I intellectually understand the need to go for a physical... but it seems to me that the healthcare system strives to find something, anything wrong , or may be wrong just to keep a returning customer so to speak.

quade

You're exactly where you should be as far as weight goes.

That said, go get your physical. You're 48. You're starting to get where this shit becomes very real.

Quade's right. A physical now can potentially find something that you might not have known was there, like the beginning stages of cancer. Some cases, if you wait until you know something's wrong with your body, its too late, like pancreatic cancer.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

More advice: Get an annual eye exam, regardless of how well you see. One of the things they check for is a condition called glaucoma, which can slowly, or quickly render you blind. This year my eye doctor discovered that I have it this year and has taken steps that saved my eyesight.

Listen to John. One look at his wife and you can tell he's smarter than the rest of us. :ph34r:

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I think you're at a perfect weight for your height. If you have a great stomach now with 6 pack abs, you should post a photo and show them off. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm no physician, but people on here saying stuff like "oh you're ok,,,or your weight is perfect for your height" should be taken with a grain of salt (unless they are trained medical physicians with a MD rating or higher).

You are losing weight unexpectedly. You know that questionnaire they make you fill out, when you visit a doctor, and there's a line question that asks "have you experienced sudden weight loss"? It's there for a reason. It could be nothing , it could be normal. 38lbs in 5 months, don;t know. but if you're consistently losing that weight it might be something you'd want to look into.

Like i said, could be nothing but it wouldn't hurt to go to your PCP.

GooniesKid

You are losing weight unexpectedly.

Emphasis mine.

No. He isn't. He said right up front he used to have a desk job with no physical activity and now he has a highly physical job. He seems to pretty much understand that part of the situation.

His concern seems to stem from the rate of loss. Although it has been rapid, that's also not unexpected given his description of the job.

I've read no opinions here telling him not to see a doctor and to simply blow the entire thing off. Most seem to agree he should go to the doctor for a physical and a discussion about his weight loss would naturally be part of their discussion.
quade -

Honestly, a doctor isn't a mechanic. Most don't have much to gain from ordering extra tests, medications or treatments that are not needed. 8 years is a long time between physicals. Even if the weight loss is explanable, your wife sees something that concerns her. You should listen to her and get a check up.

physical scheduled for the 13 of Aug. thanks for all the input. Maybe it's just the thought of finding there is something wrong or being unwilling to loose a days pay to hear that there isn't. Besides, with a wife who is a nurse I don't think I stood much of a chance in not going anyway!!! I just didn't have a logical argument not to!

;) Good deal.

Remember, even if they find nothing wrong, it still is valuable information to keep track of as you go forward.

You're past the warrantee period and scheduled maintenance is important. ;)
quade -

Glad you've decided to go for a check-up. :)
Doesn't hurt you to go get an annual check-up, and one day it could save your life. Especially if you go every year so they have a history to compare to.

On this occasion, you may well be perfectly fine, but if nothing else, a positive result means your wife will stop worrying. You know what they say: "happy wife, happy life!" :P

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Has your weight loss leveled off recently or are continuing to lose weight rapidly? When talking to your doctor that is something that you should let him know.

If you are continuing to lose weight (assuming your doctor finds nothing medically wrong with you), you are probably not consuming enough calories to fuel your high level of activity. I experienced a similar weight loss when I was training for a marathon. I went from 210 to 168 in about 4 1/2 months. I had to start eating what seemed like a ridiculous amount of food in order to maintain my weight.

On top of seeing your doctor it might also be a good idea to talk to a nutritionist. They can help you with your diet and give you a plan of what you should be eating. If you are increasing your food intake it is even more important to eat healthy (for example, you may be increasing your cholesterol levels without realizing it).

JFish

On top of seeing your doctor it might also be a good idea to talk to a nutritionist.

One small addition to this. Make sure the person isn't a quack. For some reason (legal mostly) quackery runs rampant in nutrition.
quade -

BaronVonBoll

physical scheduled for the 13 of Aug. thanks for all the input. Maybe it's just the thought of finding there is something wrong or being unwilling to loose a days pay to hear that there isn't. Besides, with a wife who is a nurse I don't think I stood much of a chance in not going anyway!!! I just didn't have a logical argument not to!

Good for you!

And, just to pile it on a little more...

A basic physical every so often is just solid "preventative maintenance.
At 48 you are reaching (or have reached) the age where issues are going to start to show up. Many of these have minimal (if any) symptoms, are very serious, yet are easily dealt with if caught in time.
Various cancers, joint issues, and especially heart disease. You could have very advanced Coronary Artery Disease, and the first symptom is a massive, fatal heart attack. I know of at least a dozen of those (friends, family friends, coworkers ect.) Yet a simple blood test will indicate if it's a problem and treatment is often diet and drugs.

It's a good opportunity to ask the doc about anything that's bothering you.
I had shoulder pain, and when I asked the doc during an exam, he said I had rotator cuff issues, but they weren't serious enough to require surgery. I've been able to address them with basic physical therapy.
I've also had my first skin cancer removed. Very small, very early. She just zapped it with liquid nitrogen and froze it off. It won't be my last, but it's good to know how easy it is if you catch it early.
I'm required to have a DOT physical every 2 years (truck driver) and I get a 2nd class FAA exam every year.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo