BillyVance

Turtle eggs?

Wife was mowing the yard and in the process, blew off a layer of old mulch, uncovering these eggs. They look like turtle eggs to me, but I've never seen that many in one place. Years ago we watched a box turtle dig a hole in our front yard and drop like 7 eggs in it. We dug them out several months later after the usual incubation period had passed, and took them down to the water's edge where they all scrambled into the water.. I think these are a different breed... just not sure what kind.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Glitch

Snake eggs maybe?

That was the other possibility we thought of. I can't imagine an inland turtle laying 19 eggs in one shot, although sea turtles lay hundreds. I guess I'll have to get a flashlight and shine it on the backside of one and see if there's a silhouette that can be made out...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***Snake eggs maybe?

That was the other possibility we thought of. I can't imagine an inland turtle laying 19 eggs in one shot, although sea turtles lay hundreds. I guess I'll have to get a flashlight and shine it on the backside of one and see if there's a silhouette that can be made out...

Get a nice big terrarium.. fill it with the same mulch..... make sure it stayus nice and warm... and see what pops out...:D

Surely he will see this thread.
I'd give him 24hrs to claim them, else scrambled eggs for breakfast.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Get a nice big terrarium.. fill it with the same mulch..... make sure it stayus nice and warm... and see what pops out

This (if you cannot leave them be).

In related news: We are contributing members of our local sea turtle patrol and always/also adopt a nest just for fun. A couple years ago, we noticed our nest look almost ready to hatch so we headed out each night for a couple hours at dusk for about 10 days before...EUREEKA! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! I teared up, of course. :$ It was just us and 80 little loggerheads under the moonlight scampering toward the sea. SO beautiful!

Right up there with floating in a dingy in Alaska next to several humpback whales, and sitting in a kayak in the middle of several pods of dolphins mating.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

PLFXpert

Get a nice big terrarium.. fill it with the same mulch..... make sure it stayus nice and warm... and see what pops out

This (if you cannot leave them be).

In related news: We are contributing members of our local sea turtle patrol and always/also adopt a nest just for fun. A couple years ago, we noticed our nest look almost ready to hatch so we headed out each night for a couple hours at dusk for about 10 days before...EUREEKA! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! I teared up, of course. :$ It was just us and 80 little loggerheads under the moonlight scampering toward the sea. SO beautiful!

Right up there with floating in a dingy in Alaska next to several humpback whales, and sitting in a kayak in the middle of several pods of dolphins mating.

:)

I only suggest that because now after being disturbed.... other critters might just decide to have a snack at the expense of the little ones to be.

Great thinking! :)
I generally live by the mantra: Take only pictures, leave only footprints. (And I usually am so enthralled I forget to take pictures; luckily my husband can always be counted on to snap a few good ones.)

But, sometimes (seemingly often in our "spotted suckers" case) a situation does call for intervention/help. Everyone within a several-mile radius seems to come knocking on our door when their pet is missing, or they found an injured animal or...luckily my schedule is quite flexible and I can take a last-minute two-hour trip to drop off an injured blue heron at our local wild bird sanctuary if need be. Just his morning we had a random dog in our yard with a cast on its leg. :|:P

PLFXpert

Great thinking! :)
I generally live by the mantra: Take only pictures, leave only footprints. (And I usually am so enthralled I forget to take pictures; luckily my husband can always be counted on to snap a few good ones.)

But, sometimes (seemingly often in our "spotted suckers" case) a situation does call for intervention/help. Everyone within a several-mile radius seems to come knocking on our door when their pet is missing, or they found an injured animal or...luckily my schedule is quite flexible and I can take a last-minute two-hour trip to drop off an injured blue heron at our local wild bird sanctuary if need be. Just his morning we had a random dog in our yard with a cast on its leg. :|:P

Once disturbed a nest like that is ripe pickings for dogs.. .foxes... racoons.. anything with a decent sense of smell not that the natural decay smell of the nest material has been uncovered. They will find it.. it is what they do.

Plus at this point... protecting the eggs means they will actually make it to hatchlings with a chance to have life.

That is good to know. I would have thought it would be fine just to cover back up.

Even if they are snakes, they can be great to have around the house (depending on what kind). We rarely see one, but I know we have them. Usually only see the occasional garter snake when it starts to rain and he is finding higher ground, or in the winter any large boulder/decor rock will be perfect for a corn snake to be curled up under.

ryoder

Surely he will see this thread.
I'd give him 24hrs to claim them, else scrambled eggs for breakfast.:P

WTF?

Dude, I was drunk . . . I didn't ebven get her NAME -

But DAMN she was hot!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

PLFXpert

That is good to know. I would have thought it would be fine just to cover back up.

Even if they are snakes, they can be great to have around the house (depending on what kind). We rarely see one, but I know we have them. Usually only see the occasional garter snake when it starts to rain and he is finding higher ground, or in the winter any large boulder/decor rock will be perfect for a corn snake to be curled up under.

Its totally Ok - I have had a vasectomy.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Amazon

***Great thinking! :)

Once disturbed a nest like that is ripe pickings for dogs.. .foxes... racoons.. anything with a decent sense of smell not that the natural decay smell of the nest material has been uncovered. They will find it.. it is what they do.

Plus at this point... protecting the eggs means they will actually make it to hatchlings with a chance to have life.

Well damn... After my wife covered the nest back up and marked the site with a kid's toy hoe, I went out to check it out.... Gone! Every egg gone! Not even a trace of them! :o I told my wife where are they? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, she was shocked. Asked me where the hoe was, and I told her it was laying on the ground like this, and she told me she set it down a different way. So it appears that Amazon was right. Some animals stole the eggs.

But then again, what was she supposed to do? The mower blew off the cover, all she did was cover them back up. Maybe we should have gotten the dirt sifter tool and placed it over the nest with a few rocks to hold it down, like we did with the box turtle's eggs years ago. Oh well...

BillyVance

******Great thinking! :)

Well damn... After my wife covered the nest back up and marked the site with a kid's toy hoe, I went out to check it out.... Gone! Every egg gone! Not even a trace of them! :o I told my wife where are they? Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, she was shocked. Asked me where the hoe was, and I told her it was laying on the ground like this, and she told me she set it down a different way. So it appears that Amazon was right. Some animals stole the eggs.

But then again, what was she supposed to do? The mower blew off the cover, all she did was cover them back up. Maybe we should have gotten the dirt sifter tool and placed it over the nest with a few rocks to hold it down, like we did with the box turtle's eggs years ago. Oh well...

You Stupid Fucker!

How could you?

Thems was my Framily!

What do I do about my cell bill NOW?