Nataly

The annoying realities you eventually have to accept...

So after several blood tests, 2 MRI scans (one cervical and one cerebral), 2 EMGs, 2 corticosteroid injections directly into the median nerve (ouchie!), and a couple of visits with a neurologist, I am relieved to find out that the only problem I have is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (and another pinched nerve, which was throwing everyone off, but isn't so bad that anything needs to be done about it at this point). It's cumbersome enough to require surgery, but it's supposed to be a relatively minor procedure.

It's a tremendous relief because for nearly a year now every test required more tests and each time doctors were very careful not to "guess" at any diagnosis... I did on every occasion have several questions about history of MS in my family, et cetera, and this was not exactly comforting... :S:|

On the down side, I think it's pretty clear that I should no longer be riding my R6, since my symptoms have gotten progressively worse over the past 6 months and I can no longer ignore the fact that I can't ride for more than a couple of minutes without stopping because my hands are so numb I have trouble breaking, changing gears, et cetera. I never anticipated this problem when I bought the bike in January, and it's probably the worst bike for my wrists because of the riding position. [:/] Still, it breaks my heart a little to sell my baby...

I've actually been avoiding riding lately and I really just need to accept that it's not appropriate for me despite all my efforts to change my riding habits (using abs and legs to avoid resting any weight on my wrists; new gloves that restrict my movements a lot less; avoiding hours with a lot of traffic so I have less stop/start/riding the clutch; different route to work with fewer hills and twists and turns in the road), et cetera.

Basically the bike feels like more of a chore than a joy to ride. So to my great regret, I have put it up for sale. Anyway, the surgery is set for Sept, and I wouldn't be able to ride for 6 weeks after each wrist... I prefer to sell it now so someone else can appreciate it all summer long, rather than try to sell in the winter and have it sitting in a garage for months and months... A constant reminder and source of unnecessary worry.

I don't know whether I will end up getting something more appropriate, like a Street Triple... I will have to see how I feel after the surgeries. It's gonna be such a pain to do those 737 steps down the the train station twice per day to get to work... Oh well... Better that than MS... :|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Here's the other annoying thing... Surgery is just before my scheduled 3 weeks of holidays, so I have time to recover... But the bummer is that those three weeks were meant to be for a 4-day yoga retreat and 2.5 weeks of jumping in Empuria... :(:(

I now don't even know what to do with myself for my holidays...

Still, way better news than finding out I have something very very bad.

(I'm trying to be grateful and not complain too much... I don't really think I'm succeeding... D'oh... [:/])

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

Here's the other annoying thing... Surgery is just before my scheduled 3 weeks of holidays, so I have time to recover... But the bummer is that those three weeks were meant to be for a 4-day yoga retreat and 2.5 weeks of jumping in Empuria... :(:(

I now don't even know what to do with myself for my holidays...

Still, way better news than finding out I have something very very bad.

(I'm trying to be grateful and not complain too much... I don't really think I'm succeeding... D'oh... [:/])

Hell, complain all you want... to US on here. We're your safety valve. ;)

Seriously, hang in there. Sorry this is happening to you. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nataly

Oh well... Better that than MS... :|

You've got that right. [:/]

I'm sorry for what you're going through and the suckiness of the realization that giving up something you truly love is sometimes the smartest thing to do.

After your surgeries and rehabs are complete I can't wait to read your post about how much better you've been feeling!! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

***Oh well... Better that than MS... :|

You've got that right. [:/]

I'm sorry for what you're going through and the suckiness of the realization that giving up something you truly love is sometimes the smartest thing to do.

After your surgeries and rehabs are complete I can't wait to read your post about how much better you've been feeling!! B|

Thanks, hun. And some to you for your own sacrifices... [:/]
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

Well that sucks. On the plus side: healed by November.

bob.dino

***Here's the other annoying thing... Surgery is just before my scheduled 3 weeks of holidays, so I have time to recover... But the bummer is that those three weeks were meant to be for a 4-day yoga retreat and 2.5 weeks of jumping in Empuria... :(:(

Well that sucks. On the plus side: first side healed by November.

FIFY! Just in time for my birthday B|
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

JohnMitchell

Does zee beautiful girl come with zee bike? :D

Hey, I had the carpal surgery on my right hand. Easy stuff; you'll heal quickly. :)

Thanks, John :))

In the grand scheme of things, selling my bike and missing one holiday is not the end of the world, but I am a little worried about stupid stuff in the long run like playing the guitar and such... But since everyone keeps telling me the surgery is pretty minor, it seems unlikely to me that the end result would be worse than what I've experienced thus far...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Like so many other medical procedures of this type, proper rehab after the surgery is key.
Learn what PT you are supposed to do, how to do it correctly and do it.
Every damned day.

I know a few people who have had this. The ones who did the PT properly have healed very well. The ones who didn't...

Didn't.

And there's lots of motorcycles that put less strain on your wrists. They aren't quite as quick, as fun, or as cool. But you are still riding.

Good luck. :)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

roostnureye

Just get an air shifter for the r6, easy install. Push button shifting.
Or look into a recluse style clutch.

Nice idea, but it's a little trickier than that. [:/] Still, nice idea... :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

wolfriverjoe

And there's lots of motorcycles that put less strain on your wrists. They aren't quite as quick, as fun, or as cool. But you are still riding.

Yep. Like the Street Triple. :P Although apparently riding any bike is not such a great idea because vibrations aggravate the problem and the symptoms could return even after the surgery. :| Anyway, at this point, I think selling my bike is the right thing. Perhaps getting a different bike will be fine once I'm all healed up - perhaps not. Only time will tell... In any case, it's good advice to "do my PT" after the surgery.

It's funny... The R6 was never a "wise" decision from a comfort/practical point of view and when I first got it I admit that part of me *was* worried that it was "too much bike" for me... I just never expected to have this kind of problem with it...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I had a few problems with my right wrist that also made riding the bike (K1600GTL) for more than 15-20 minutes a real pain, but with some therapy, ice and just laying off of it a while, all is now good.

Point though is, maybe after your surgery, and some rehab, you will be ok in the saddle. Hang on to the bike for a while and see? You might be fine after your recovery... Good luck!
Dano

Nataly

Here's a crazy thought. Tell them to schedule the surgery for a different day.

wolfriverjoe

Like so many other medical procedures of this type, proper rehab after the surgery is key.
Learn what PT you are supposed to do, how to do it correctly and do it.
Every damned day.

I know a few people who have had this. The ones who did the PT properly have healed very well. The ones who didn't...

Didn't.

I agree. My mom has had this surgery multiple times on both wrists. Never has been successful and I'm sure that has to do with the fact that she has never even attempted PT after the surgeries. She still wears wrist braces.

Please don't take this as discouragement about the surgery. I'm sure you will do just fine and heal up right nicely.

I don't have much of a choice regarding the timing of the surgery because Sept and Xmas are the only 2 periods of the year where I can afford to take 2-3 weeks off from work... If I wait until Xmas to get the first surgery, I would then have to wait until Sept next year to get the second wrist done and that's kind of a long time...

Of course I'd rather be jumping but getting enough recovery time after the surgery is more important to me.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss