Amazon

“No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer”

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/26/ann_coulter_no_american_whose_great_grandfather_was_born_here_is_watching_soccer/

Really??? I think as usual someone is out of touch with reality.

I know plenty of "real Americans" who indeed are watching the World Cup. Funny thing is quite a few of them in my family, even the southern arch conservatives branches, have children participating in the sport. Did I mention that our family has been in America going back to 9th and tenth great grandfathers. Even the newest family line, my 2nd great grandfather, came from England in the 1850's and his 4th great grandchildren are competing quite well in North Carolina.:ph34r::ph34r: I know they are watching intently today.

PLEASE.. keep it non political ok... like lets talk about all of us who DO watch "fuutball" OLE'

Amazon

PLEASE.. keep it non political ok... like lets talk about all of us who DO watch "fuutball" OLE'

You referenced Ann Coulter. Good luck with that! :D

I'm a casual sports fan at best for pretty much everything. I enjoy watching games live, but my passions don't run particularly deep. I've attended a few professional soccer games in my life, and they've been as enjoyable as other live sporting events... the weather was nice, the company was good, and I got to watch some grown adults chase around a ball. What's not to love?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Amazon

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/26/ann_coulter_no_american_whose_great_grandfather_was_born_here_is_watching_soccer/

Really??? I think as usual someone is out of touch with reality.

I know plenty of "real Americans" who indeed are watching the World Cup. Funny thing is quite a few of them in my family, even the southern arch conservatives branches, have children participating in the sport. Did I mention that our family has been in America going back to 9th and tenth great grandfathers. Even the newest family line, my 2nd great grandfather, came from England in the 1850's and his 4th great grandchildren are competing quite well in North Carolina.:ph34r::ph34r: I know they are watching intently today.

4th-gen Canuck - does that count? If so, I must confess I've taken to cheering for...

USA.

Through to 16, but I thought their outing today was a bit lame.

Oh I think so....

Me thinks many in this country forget that Americans belong to the peoples of TWO American continents that contain about 35 individual countries. Some of those countries were settled by colonists over 100 years before the first English colonists founded Jamestown andmany of those countries really love their "futbol".:)
And todays game was certainly not the most satisfying... but at least they get to go to the next round.

Nobody expected us to get out of the Group of Death. Portugal, Germany and Ghana were supposed to be stronger. Germany was... But even the Krauts helped us advance with that 5-1 win over Portugal on goal difference.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Coulter does this once every few months when she needs to play the Outrageous! card to re-establish her relevance. "There is no bad publicity...", etc. Limbaugh, Malkin, Palin, Michelle Bachman, etc. all do this too, for the same reason.
And to keep this fair and balanced, I think that's why Alec Baldwin does his shit, too- to keep his name in the public eye.

Not only are Americans watching soccer, they're even flying thousands of miles to do it. Apparently more stadium tickets have been presold to US fans than to any other nation except Brazilians (for those of you who are really out of touch, they're the hosts:P)

And why not? To be honest I'd rather watch the USA play than England - they play with pace and freedom whereas we fold under pressure like a cheap suit.

(As an aside, even as a cynical publicity grab that list of reasons why football's evil is utterly insane. I'm both fascinated and horrified by what it must be like to see the world through her eyes...)

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My American family doesn't follow or care about soccer. In fact, my father made me quit soccer when I was a kid because soccer conflicted with football as the seasons overlapped. A soccer game was considerably less important than football practice.

I like soccer, but I dislike professional soccer and the way these queens are playing.

Enjoy World Cup Soccer to your heart's content. Frankly, I'd rather watch paint dry. I don't "get" and have no desire to "get" soccer and I accept the fact that the rest of the world doesn't "get" baseball which to quote the venerable sports writer Red Smith, "...is 90 feet of perfection." So batter up and let the score be 1-0, 1-zip, shutout, no hitter, perfect game and forget this "nil" crap.

BillyVance

Nobody expected us to get out of the Group of Death. Portugal, Germany and Ghana were supposed to be stronger. Germany was... But even the Krauts helped us advance with that 5-1 win over Portugal on goal difference.

Really?:S

I like watching soccer, but my son also plays so I guess I'm used to it. I think baseball is about as exciting as watching paint dry. To each his own, I'm glad there's a sport for just about everyone to enjoy.

That said...go team USA! Round of 16; who ever saw that coming? B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I dislike nearly everything about organized sports with the exception of actually playing them myself (I was an excellent receiver in powder puff football :).)

I can tolerate watching golf (enjoy playing--have been since I was six). And, ironically I LOVE Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. :)
The only sports I enjoy watching (as much as playing) are extreme sports. I can watch surfing like some people watch the weather channel; it can be very addicting.

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I represent my university on game days (and other days), and can never understand the sports fan who looks at me in amazement when I reply, "Oh, I don't watch football." I am an alumna who loves her alma mater, and yet somehow that is not credible enough to show my own school spirit on game day. :S

Sports fans can be wackadoodles.

:P

PLFXpert

I represent my university on game days (and other days), and can never understand the sports fan who looks at me in amazement when I reply, "Oh, I don't watch football." I am an alumna who loves her alma mater, and yet somehow that is not credible enough to show my own school spirit on game day. :S

Sports fans can be wackadoodles.

:P

See, you should have followed my lead: I attended a university that didn't have a football team! (Oh, the horror, I know -- but it kept tuition much lower!) Of course, the school has soccer for both genders, and while Division II, at least one of the teams always made it to the playoffs. B|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Awesome! :D

I had full in-state academic scholarship as far as tuition goes, but in a po-dunk college town with little in the ways of real money-earning opportunities, I was happy to help offset my cost-of-living "student" loans hawking my game tickets. B|

The best part of game time for me--whilst in school--was the indoor pool was pretty empty. B|