Nerra

After spending over $7000 is it unreasonable to ask for a free reserve pack?

It's generally pretty funny how low cost items add to the warm and fuzzies too. "I GOT A T-SHIRT!"

I have been known to be just as excited about the box the thing comes in as the thing itself. My cat shares this obsession with me. We both enjoy a nice box. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

You don't have to get hostile or defensive

I have seen nothing but rational discussion from the OP and the only hostility seems to have come from individuals claiming he was being completely unreasonable such as yourself.

Would you care to re post something the OP has said that resembles hostility?

Just like you asked for a free reserve pack job and when somebody said no, you got all hot and bothered and started complaining about it to complete strangers on the internet. So much so you've dug a little bit of a hole for yourself here.

My advise would be to stop digging.

Rather condescending don't you think?

I have been known to be just as excited about the box the thing comes in as the thing itself. My cat shares this obsession with me. We both enjoy a nice box.

I like to get all excited over a nice box with my thing too... :D

Pussy boxes are very exciting with your thing in them.

going forward, I think you've probably learned that there IS a special relationship that riggers have with skydiving stores and that their services are not considered part of the overhead and mark-up costs of the price of the rig.

With all due respect, it has been clearly pointed out that the rigger could actually get paid their full $60 (or whatever it was) with the circa $1400 (@20%) mark up that the gear store obtained from the full retail sale.

or not.

I don't think that lesson needed to be leaned, the OP already acknowledged this.

Sometimes the rigger is the gear store owner, sometimes the rigger is on a salary and will be paid even if there is nothing to do (not that often however), this bares no reflection on the customer bargaining for a sweetener.

skymama

So....what's the point of this thread if you already know this.

To bitch and complain on the Internet?

Skydivers bitching and complaining is half the content on this website! :ph34r:

True, but in the BF, we don't usually bitch about skydiving-related matters. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Some people seem to never learn their lessons. Like for instance, people who have been banned and create sock puppets to get around them.

Those people should probably find somewhere else to hang out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

It's generally pretty funny how low cost items add to the warm and fuzzies too. "I GOT A T-SHIRT!"

I like to say that I bought a really expensive t-shirt and got a free canopy with it. :P
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ome people seem to never learn their lessons. Like for instance, people who have been banned and create sock puppets to get around them.

Those people should probably find somewhere else to hang out.

The beauty of the internet is that sometimes the more you disagree with someone the more educating and interesting it is to hang out.

Some people never change while others do. It is interesting to watch.

How boring life would be if we all agreed eh.

I came in this thread too late to have any opinion worth adding, but I will say this, dude:

The Bonfire and the forums in general on this site are full of judgmental people with strong opinions. You are required to have a thick skin and take the criticism. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

vision

Some people never change while others do. It is interesting to watch.

How boring life would be if we all agreed eh.

Well, let's agree on this, you're not actually welcome here. Cya!
quade -

Well, let's agree on this, you're not actually welcome here. Cya!

What! What's this? Did we just witness a banning? I think we did!! Wow and it wasn't even me. Reckon I'll back away slowly, with my hands in the air b/f I'm next! Later Gals/guys! :)

The rigger will say no, since the rigger would not spend any time on it unless the rigger is making some sorta money, or profit.

If that rigger owned that particular online skydiving store, the story might be different, the store owner thanks you for spending money and thus rewarding you with free-repacks.

Skydiving industry is a big joke, I get better service and human interactions buying 800 dollar custom surfboard vs buying 3000 dollar custom velo.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Anyone who spends $7,000 on a first rig obviously does not either solicit or accept advise from other people. I am willing to bet 99.99% of skydivers would have recommended buying used for a first rig, then downsize.

Regardless of how hard he worked to save money, it is questionable it was money well spent.

But still we keep offering advise to someone who doesn't listen. What does that say about us? ;)

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Nerra

Things I have learned from this thread:

1) It is completely unreasonable to ask for discount ever.

I don't think anybody has said that.

4) There is some underlying sore issue between riggers and retailers that I'm obviously unaware of.

Independent Contractor status. Not a sore issue, just part of the business.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Well I slept on the issue and refrained from posting.

I'm glad some balance seems to have been restored to the thread.

My main frustration with this thread wasn't the difference in opinion or even that people didn't agree with me, it was that people were continually getting side tracked and insinuating that I was expecting a rigger to work for free despite me continually stating otherwise.

I'd like to state one more time, and please feel free to read the original post along with all my other posts to see that this was always the case...

I did not ever expect the rigger to work for free, I was asking the store to cover the cost as a gesture of goodwill for my continual business.

I do wonder how the thread would have gone had I not mentioned 'pack job' and just said '$60 discount'.

This isn't my first rig but it is the first time I've bought all new components of a new rig all from one place at the same time... beer?!

Anyway - thank you all for chipping in - I'm sorry if I offended anyone - bad karma and skydiving aren't a great mix.

normiss

Your are precisely correct.

Just don't throw it out there AFTER you made your deal and everyone should be happy.

T shirts? BAH! I my day we got free pull-up cords and counted ourselves lucky!

:ph34r:

yoink

T shirts? BAH! I my day we got free pull-up cords and counted ourselves lucky!

Free pull-up cord? Luxury. In my day we got a rubber band. We dreamed of having a pull-up cord.
quade -

PLFXpert

The best freebie I ever got (at a real estate new development party) was a rubber jar opener.

1) Rubbers come in jars?
2) You need a special opener for it?

Seems counter productive.
quade -