Nerra

After spending over $7000 is it unreasonable to ask for a free reserve pack?

JohnMitchell

***It's not only unreasonable, it's downright rude.

Even if you ask politely? :)
Because I've received that kind of a deal with a smile from the seller. Cash talks quite well for itself. :)
Great point John. I am willing to bet each and everyone of those attacking the OP and yes there were personal attacks and Quade being the first and most blatant that should have resulted in his losing his green status if not a banning, are the worst customers when buying any large purchase. How many of you walk in and just pay what a car dealer is asking? Did you make an offer on your home or just pay what the seller was asking? Do you pay full price for your minutes un the tunnel or do you ask for the friends and family rate?

You nor this industry is special because you jump out of airplanes. Get over yourselves

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

******It's not only unreasonable, it's downright rude.

Even if you ask politely? :)
Because I've received that kind of a deal with a smile from the seller. Cash talks quite well for itself. :)
Great point John. I am willing to bet each and everyone of those attacking the OP and yes there were personal attacks and Quade being the first and most blatant that should have resulted in his losing his green status if not a banning, are the worst customers when buying any large purchase. How many of you walk in and just pay what a car dealer is asking? Did you make an offer on your home or just pay what the seller was asking? Do you pay full price for your minutes un the tunnel or do you ask for the friends and family rate?

You nor this industry is special because you jump out of airplanes. Get over yourselves

But what if someone is new into the sport and didn't know that they can make a deal? That'd be something different right? I understand buying a home or car you can wheel and deal.

I dont' know about banning Quade or revoking his admin status. From my experience, he's been really ok. Frankly, this is the first time i've seen attacks on him regarding a comment. But along the lines of admins, who monitors the admins (in such an event like this)? Are admins positions voted on? Once an admin always an admin? Should others contribute to the community by serving as an admin?
I've been a forum and sys admin before (and no i didn't get kicked out..i didn't want the responsibility anymore) and understand that there's some sort of "power high" to the whole thing of "my word is final and that's that" or "i can say whatever because no one can ban me" kind of mentality.
In the forums and forum admin positions i've been in there was always a tenure, we voted for new admins, and there were check and balances.

GooniesKid

But along the lines of admins, who monitors the admins (in such an event like this)? Are admins positions voted on? Once an admin always an admin?

People come and go as mods but there are only a couple of admins. The admins have red names, mods have greens.

I believe the admins make the final call on who is a mod, but allow the other mods to put their 2 cents in first.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***But along the lines of admins, who monitors the admins (in such an event like this)? Are admins positions voted on? Once an admin always an admin?

People come and go as mods but there are only a couple of admins. The admins have red names, mods have greens.

I believe the admins make the final call on who is a mod, but allow the other mods to put their 2 cents in first.

Actually, to become a mod, you have to win a cage match with an existing one.

Andrea never had a chance when it was my turn....
Remster

catfishhunter

[You nor this industry is special because you jump out of airplanes. Get over yourselves

I know you two run a customer based business during the week and treat them they way they should be treated. (Didn't your customers throw an appreciation party for you and Laura not too long ago? B|) All I'm saying, and you know it very well, is that it's easy to say "no" politely and gracefully and still maintain good relations. If someone spends a lot of $$ in my place of business, I want them to walk away happy, even if I can't give them everything.

This was lost before (and probably will be again here too), but

1) It was the manner in which Nerra's request was rejected that appears to be the issue. A simple polite rejection wouldn't have inspired this thread.

2) Nerra asked for this while in the process of purchasing a $1500 reserve. (After the other stuff, but this purchase was in progress.)

3) Nerra has made it clear that asking for the repack was only because the store indicated they could not discount the gear due to manufacturer limitations. And then later clarified for those on the attack that this was certainly not meant to make a rigger work for free. Only a way to allow for a discount on the gear that was claimed not to be allowed through other means.

As for a moderator having some nasty vendetta for something that is clearly not showing up in this thread, it's mean-spirited and uncalled for. Calling out a defender of Nerra for being sock-puppet was also super classy. Just because someone has a different opinion than you and is also willing to reply in multiple posts (as quade did) does not make them a sock-puppet.

Being a moderator should include some kind of responsibility for civility especially when not given any kind of provocation. Actually that should apply for just being human, but having the green letters means that more weight may be given to your replies. I'm hoping quade is just having a bad day and read more into the OP's original response and that an apology for the tone taken will be coming.

Sometimes people deserve a bit of reality, but the tone this thread took and the deliberate ignoring of any point that might be in OP's favor is so out of hand. I've never met Nerra, but nothing in this thread indicates why OP would be subject to this kind of mean-spirited response.

becka

As for a moderator having some nasty vendetta for something that is clearly not showing up in this thread, it's mean-spirited and uncalled for. Calling out a defender of Nerra for being sock-puppet was also super classy. Just because someone has a different opinion than you and is also willing to reply in multiple posts (as quade did) does not make them a sock-puppet.

You are 100% and completely wrong about this. The sock puppetry banning here had zero to do with this thread. It had everything to do with a repeat offender simply showing up once again. When the moderation staff bans a user, it's for an actual reason. It has nothing to do with vendettas. It's like throwing a bum out of a bar and then the bum sneaking back in. When the bouncer tosses him out again, it has nothing to do with a vendetta, it's just the rules of the house.

Since you are demonstrably wrong about this, I want you to consider that you are also at least a bit wrong about every other assumption your made in your last post as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well since you were wrong about at least one supposed "sock-puppet" in the past, it's certainly not beyond reason to think you were again. A few years ago you accused someone I knew of being some Florida guy's sock puppet. And I certainly don't have any proof that you are correct now. Not saying you aren't, but given the history and the tone of this thread, I would want more than you got someone banned as evidence.

In any event, I am certainly not wrong about the unnecessary nastiness on this thread. I read every post in it before responding the first time to make sure I didn't miss anything. You don't have to be this mean to get the point across that you disagree.

If you are right, than let your reasoning show that.

And unless you have first (or even trusted second) hand knowledge that the rest of us have not been made aware of, the three points I listed still stand.

becka

And unless you have first (or even trusted second) hand knowledge that the rest of us have not been made aware of, the three points I listed still stand.

I'm sure you believe that and you're entitled to your opinion.

Doesn't mean it's any more right than mine. You might want to reread it to see precisely what I said. Try to do so with an open mind. It will be difficult because you already have an opinion of what I wrote firmly set in your mind, but seriously, give it another shot and see just how "mean" I was.
quade -

GooniesKid

But what if someone is new into the sport and didn't know that they can make a deal? That'd be something different right? I understand buying a home or car you can wheel and deal.

that's a tough one. it's pretty much "buyer beware", but then it occurs is such a tight knit community that the short term sale at full 'retail' :S will be a net loss in terms of good will.

What a great intro into skydiving "Hey, I just spent $7k on a new rig" - then, every single other skydiver tells him "You're a sucker, I could have gotten the same rig custom and assembled for $5k easy".

I guess people here would just smile and say "shucks, I guess I got taken fair and square?"

The fact that it's true, (shop around, and ask your dealers and local instructors and DZs if they have any 'friends' that are reps) doesn't mean that dealer won't EVER get the new jumper's business again.

trust is difficult.

(OP asked a fair question, the answer of 'no' is a fair response, the extended answer and accusations are not fair and crappy customer service - I hope dealers see this post and educate their reps....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The skydiving industry is not an island.
This happens all over the place.
All sorts of products, all sorts of buyers, all sorts of sellers.
Neighbors just walked away from a house with a $211,000 upside down note on it.
Right next door, we stole our house on a short sale.

We should all try to educate ourselves as much as possible when handing over coin.

normiss

The skydiving industry is not an island.
This happens all over the place.
All sorts of products, all sorts of buyers, all sorts of sellers.
Neighbors just walked away from a house with a $211,000 upside down note on it.
Right next door, we stole our house on a short sale.

We should all try to educate ourselves as much as possible when handing over coin.

all that and more - true

skydiving is a small community regardless with a huge pile of ego driven loudly spoken individuals, vendors need to be wary of taking advantage for a short term gain, no matter how gullible that one newbie gets. Bad press can be huge no matter if not deserved - and 'most' of the time it's not. Courtesy goes a long way in any business.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

When the moderation staff bans a user, it's for an actual reason.

What a load of rubbish! The actual reason might be that the Moderator has a personal difference with someone or they protect the advertisers.

After multiple times asking why I was banned I have still not had a reply.

I could care less if you feel I am unwelcome.

I am a skydiver and I read these forums frequently, they sure have dwindled in recent times, I wonder why. Between the crap from people on a high horse with 20 times more posts than jumps, there is some really good posts and information.

I (rhys) was banned because I exposed Airtec and the APF sweeping a serious incident under the carpet and lying about the incident; while Airtec was a major sponsor of this website.

That is quite obvious.

I had and posted the literature showing that Airtec knew that they were selling faulty units (with their ad flashing at the top of the page) and one of those units almost killed my friend, then they continued to lie about it.

I have in my possession and posted a copy of letter from the sensor manufacturer that supplied all 3 major aad manufactures using the sensors at the time. The letter explained months before two of the said sensors failed causing two units to fire, the conditions the sensors might (and did) fail.

I witnessed the result of very serious incident that could have easily been a double fatality and could have been avoided if due diligence had have taken place.

Then it was suggested that I was creating conspiracy theories.

You sir, owe me an explanation as the why my original profile was banned, if hiding the truth is not the reason for you to do so.

Creating conspiracy theories is not a valid reason as was suggested, when the evidence clearly shows otherwise.

Lay of the power trip will ya, you might think you sound all authoritative but the reality is that you look like an ass. The various posts suggesting such also confirms this.

This website could return to it's former glory if the moderators were not so biased.

Or, as in this particular case . . . because you've been banned and we have a policy against the creation of sock puppets to get around the bans. You have done this repeatedly.

You are simply not welcome here. At all.

If you think you can appeal this case to me, it's out of my control and your hostility toward me is pointless. I will simply ban all sock puppets within my power to do so. It is not my place to create nor modify the rule; simply enforce it.

As for your comment about how I "owe (you) an explanation" for anything, you are sadly mistaken. I wasn't even involved. Again, my only concern here is you were kicked out and repeatedly attempt to return. Sorry, but the bar is closed to you. End of story.
quade -

>1) It was the manner in which Nerra's request was rejected that appears to be
>the issue. A simple polite rejection wouldn't have inspired this thread.

>2) Nerra asked for this while in the process of purchasing a $1500 reserve. (After
>the other stuff, but this purchase was in progress.)

>3) Nerra has made it clear that asking for the repack was only because the store
>indicated they could not discount the gear due to manufacturer limitations.

No worries with all of the above. It is surely not a good thing when someone on the phone is rude. Again, no problem with her asking for a discount or a free repack in lieu of a discount - but also no problem with the gear store saying "no." Needless to say both parties should ideally not get snippy with each other, although that sometimes happens in gear purchases. (Especially in the alpha personality dominated sport of skydiving.)

As an aside, the best deals I have gotten in skydiving have come about when I _didn't_ ask for them, and the vast majority of those have come from individual manufacturers or small gear stores.

normiss

Boy, that's right. That's why I shop around, ask for discounts and freebies thrown in. If some vendor ever chewed me out for asking for a discount or courtesy freebie, they'd never see my $$$ again. :|

JohnMitchell

Boy, that's right. That's why I shop around, ask for discounts and freebies thrown in. If some vendor ever chewed me out for asking for a discount or courtesy freebie, they'd never see my $$$ again. :|

Can you send me $60?
quade -

JohnMitchell

***My gear dealer started off by giving me $60 worth of "free" stuff >:(

And that made you >:(? How so?

I had a dealer start me off with a free dime bag. . . :):o:D

$7000 later and I nothing for free :P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)