Nerra

After spending over $7000 is it unreasonable to ask for a free reserve pack?

If she had reacted in a polite and professional manner, I doubt this thread would exist.

"Hey, can I get a discount?"
"No, sorry."
"Alright, it was worth a try."
doesn't really drive one to go troll the denizens of dz.com

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Nataly

As someone who read your thread the minute you posted it (and before it was edited to further explain/justify your position), it seems to me you have been sticking to your point of view the entire way through. Now there is nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't mean you have not considered different perspectives, but by continuing to insist the store overreacted and was in the wrong, you come across (at least to me) like you are essentially dismissing all opinions except your own.

Thanks for the long post Nataly, much of what you say is very valid.

Just to clarify, the original post was edited for a typo 6 minutes before the first reply so there was no further explanation or justification. Everyone who has replied, has done so directly in relation to the post as you see it now. I also haven't continued to insist the store overreacted. In fact I don't believe at any point have I complained further about the store or defended my reaction.

The only thing I have continued to do is correct people's assumption that I expected a rigger to work for free. How people ever came to that conclusion especially when I spelt it out in the original post, still baffles me.

Nerra

Just to clarify, the original post was edited for a typo 6 minutes before the first reply so there was no further explanation or justification. Everyone who has replied, has done so directly in relation to the post as you see it now.

My bad - I don't know why, but I seem to remember your original post not being quite the same. Perhaps it was just my impression of it that changed - entirely possible.

I also haven't continued to insist the store overreacted

That is very much the impression I get from reading (and re-reading) your posts. You are also insisting that people on here are overreacting (and/or missing the point).

The only thing I have continued to do is correct people's assumption that I expected a rigger to work for free. How people ever came to that conclusion especially when I spelt it out in the original post, still baffles me.

I think people have stopped thinking that a little while back. I think you can stop defending that point. I think the myriad of negative responses are more to do with your overall approach and attitude. Something *you* seem not to have realised, since you are still beating that dead horse.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

The thing about saying the other party was unreasonable is that it suggests that you, on the other hand *were* being reasonable.

No it doesn't. Both parties can be unreasonable.

In the end the store won their $60 argument. But they have lost future business from this customer and possibly those this customer talks to.

Sounds like even if both parties were unreasonable, the store made a stupid decision.

This day and age you gain customers and market share by treating your customers very well. A $60 decision could possibly have bought a lot of positive word-of-mouth.

If the facts as told (from one side) are true. Then I don't think the question was unreasonable, just poorly timed. Whether the store's response was unreasonable doesn't matter. It was just a poor decision.

(Never mind that the store lied to their customer to begin with)

JohnnyMarko

this thread is ridiculous...

+1

OK poster comes on to vent about a perceived bad customer service situation and gets accused of

1) flaunting his financial situation
2) trying to rip off a starving rigger
3) harassing the poor salesperson after just having lost her father

did I miss anything?
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

livendive

We also only have his word that he bought anything more than a closing loop or bag of rubber bands.

A bag!?! Did you see an SC Johnson logo over the door when you walked in? No, didn't think so.

You hold out your hands.

I give you the rubber bands.

livendive

If she had reacted in a polite and professional manner, I doubt this thread would exist.

"Hey, can I get a discount?"
"No, sorry."
"Alright, it was worth a try."
doesn't really drive one to go troll the denizens of dz.com

Makes all the difference in the world, right? :)
Funny, I just posted this in another BF thread about a foreigner with a US medical bill

"If your insurance covers it, fine. If not, tell the facility you're self insured and ask for a discount. I've actually done that after the surgery because the cost was higher than anticipated. I made a good case and they cut my portion of the bill in half."

I still don't think the doctor worked for free on that one. ;):D

Was my request unreasonable?

The simple answer is yes.

USPA reports approximately 36,000 licensed skydivers in the United States. Based upon a total population of 316,000,000, we are about 0.1% or one person in every 10,000 is a licensed skydiver. We are a small sport witha small population thus the industry is compared to other industries, small.

But for a small sport/industry, we require equipment, talent and skills that are first rate, safe and the expectations for each piece of equipment to function as it was made to do first time, everytime is high.

Given the mix of all the fixed costs a skydiving equipment vendor must meet even before a profit is made, I will in this case, side with the business.

Boomerdog

The simple answer is yes.

USPA reports approximately 36,000 licensed skydivers in the United States. Based upon a total population of 316,000,000, we are about 0.1% or one person in every 10,000 is a licensed skydiver. We are a small sport witha small population thus the industry is compared to other industries, small.

But for a small sport/industry, we require equipment, talent and skills that are first rate, safe and the expectations for each piece of equipment to function as it was made to do first time, everytime is high.

Given the mix of all the fixed costs a skydiving equipment vendor must meet even before a profit is made, I will in this case, side with the business.

all the more reason to maintain your customer base by giving good customer service

If a skydiving store isn't making more than $60 profit on $7,000 worh of gear (sold at MSRP), then they deserve to go out of business.

The OP had every right to ask for a free assembly and pack job. It was not unreasonable at all. The store has every right to refuse. That, too, was not unreasonable.

Everything else that's going on in this thread is just a dick measuring contest.

- Dan G

Rick

***this thread is ridiculous...

+1

OK poster comes on to vent about a perceived bad customer service situation and gets accused of

did I miss anything?

I did not say he harassed a poor bereaved salesperson - I am merely saying that

1 - the OP has no idea about *why* the salesperson apparently overreacted
2 - without either the salesperson or the store's point of view, we have no way of knowing how much we can trust the OP's description and/or perception of events

This is not an attack - it's merely pointing out that we have an incomplete picture.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Rick

***this thread is ridiculous...

+1

did I miss anything?

That's it... for now B|

Tune in for the next episode where I receive the rig and swoop down double dropkicking a line of starving cambodian children* to the floor before setting the whole thing on fire and sending it back to store with a letter of complaint.

*Imported for this one time stunt using my disposable income of course

Nataly

******this thread is ridiculous...

+1

did I miss anything?

I did not say he harassed a poor bereaved salesperson - I am merely saying that

1 - the OP has no idea about *why* the salesperson apparently overreacted
2 - without either the salesperson or the store's point of view, we have no way of knowing how much we can trust the OP's description and/or perception of events

This is not an attack - it's merely pointing out that we have an incomplete picture.

the OP came here with one question was his request to have his repack covered reasonable?

then he got accused of trying to rip off a rigger and showing off how much "discretionary" cash he has

I just think the posters responding got carried away inventing scenarios that make the OP look bad.

I for one do not think the request was unreasonable. I often get after the deal requests for a little love to be shown back to the customer. Some times I give it some times I don't. But I would never disrespect the customer for asking.

It matters little if the salesperson is having a bad day or week or whatever. NEVER disrespect the customer unless you are prepared to lose them.

Nerra

+1

did I miss anything?

That's it... for now B|

Tune in for the next episode where I receive the rig and swoop down double dropkicking a line of starving cambodian children* to the floor before setting the whole thing on fire and sending it back to store with a letter of complaint.

How about you use the Mexican kids crossing the border into Texas? No import tax which would surely be more than $60.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Nerra

+1

did I miss anything?

That's it... for now B|

You should give your rig to the guy at USPA responsible for safety and get him to dropkick the Cambodian children...

SkyDekker

You should give your rig to the guy at USPA responsible for safety and get him to dropkick the Cambodian children...

Hard to dropkick with a busted femur. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Nerra

Over the last month I've spent over $7000 at a popular online skydiving store and paid full retail price on every item.

(snip)

Congrats on the new gear.

What is being overlooked in this thread, unless I missed it, is that your rigger should inspect and assemble the gear.

Reason? Despite being brand new and fresh from production, new gear can and has been received with mistakes and/or manufacturing problems.

Your rigger can inspect and assemble the gear, and let you know that everything is OK or not.

The A&P cost is peanuts, no matter what. Keep local rigging local.

Blues.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73