ryoder

Flynano

How do ya wind the rubberband? ;)

Reminds me of something that is funny now, but scared the crap out of me at the time.

I was a kid, and had just finished building a balsa/tissue-paper rubber-band-powered airplane.
After a couple flights, I decided it needed more realism.
Mr Hamster seemed to fill the bill as pilot.
I pulled the wing off the top, chunked the hamster into the cockpit, and secured the wing back on.
I then took the plane/hamster outdoors, and proceeded to wind up the prop.
Ready to fly, I peered inside to see if Mr Hamster was was reasonably close to the CG point.

OH SHIT!!!:o

Somehow, he had gotten in between the two halves of the rubber band, and was wound up in the band, looking like he was about to be pinched in half.
I let go to the prop and peered inside, watching Mr Hamster spin like a top until the band went slack and dropped him out.
I carefully pulled him out, and amazingly, he seemed no worse for wear from the experience.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How do ya wind the rubberband? ;)

Reminds me of something that is funny now, but scared the crap out of me at the time.

I was a kid, and had just finished building a balsa/tissue-paper rubber-band-powered airplane.
After a couple flights, I decided it needed more realism.
Mr Hamster seemed to fill the bill as pilot.
I pulled the wing off the top, chunked the hamster into the cockpit, and secured the wing back on.
I then took the plane/hamster outdoors, and proceeded to wind up the prop.
Ready to fly, I peered inside to see if Mr Hamster was was reasonably close to the CG point.

OH SHIT!!!:o

Somehow, he had gotten in between the two halves of the rubber band, and was wound up in the band, looking like he was about to be pinched in half.
I let go to the prop and peered inside, watching Mr Hamster spin like a top until the band went slack and dropped him out.
I carefully pulled him out, and amazingly, he seemed no worse for wear from the experience.:D

:D:D:D You owe me a keyboard! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That will not work. I have designed a few flying machines, and that one is too much daydreaming not enough thinking. If they get it off the ground, it will take a pretty skilled pilot to fly. For sure not the average weekend warrior idiot they are marketing it to.

-SPACE-

Mebbe it's just the old skydiver in me saying the same thing I say to all the swoopers, but isn't that thing a little short on square footage? The lifting surfaces, I mean. Or is it the "biplane" setup that makes it seem that way?

Or as others said, is it just a design hoping to get people to give them money?

The "press release" says it was going to fly in April. Alas, no pics of a working prototype yet. :P

Elvisio "anything that will get me to work faster" Rodriguez

Mebbe it's just the old skydiver in me saying the same thing I say to all the swoopers, but isn't that thing a little short on square footage? The lifting surfaces, I mean. Or is it the "biplane" setup that makes it seem that way?

You are correct, even for the (unbelievably) low empty weight of this alleged aircraft it has very small surface area. Further, it is a "box wing" design. That uses a significant amount of the aft wing area for stability, making it less useful as a lifting surface.

If they ever get a motor in it, I would love to test fly it for them. (It will need 2x the engine power they say they will put in it, IMO) The way their press released testing videos look they really have little idea what they are doing.

-SPACE-

Pretty cool if it is more than just vaporware: http://www.flynano.com/

Speaking of deranged mad scientists: here's a little something for the Joss Whedon and Firefly fans on here. DEFINITELY worth checking out.
Based on the pilot flying the thing apparently their target demographic is derranged mad scientists.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dr._Horrible_s_Sing-Along_Blog/70115760?trkid=496624#height1637

Elvisio "Laundry Day is awesome" Rodriguez

I was correct. no where near enough power. and it looks like they were coming up on 50km/hr and no where near getting off the water. But hell, the thing -might- be able to pinch off a hop if they can glue a bigger motor on and unstick it. Then there is the pretty serious control issue. Thing looks like it has zero stability.

I am amazed they got it to plane on its own power. Even if it is under expert control, there is a roll margin of less than 5 degrees before the wings hit the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aV8pNmvjf8

Is it possible that this is just a ground effect craft?

In their website is reads "skim the surface and up into the endless blue" and they list a "service ceiling" of 3km.

I doubt they would put this much work in a ground effect machine.

Besides, the design is not on par with what a ground effect machine would look like. They already removed their original design specs from their website.

Like I said, I am amazed it was able to plane. I would no longer be surprised if it flew after they put a bigger motor on. But I still say it will not be the "everyman" machine they want it to be.

Yeah... I'm gonna call it. It's mid 2014 and the best they can do is 100km/hr 2m off the water. In a straight line.

I told ya so.

Aerodynamics are not the magic that they convinced click bait writers, gullible investors, and sensationalistic magazine editors of. The current design with a lot more power and a capable pilot inside would be a LOT of fun to fly as a normal aircraft, but like I said there is no way in hell that thing can be a safe flying machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZxOmQppw4