debantgreen

Extreme sport research

I am undertaking postgraduate research through Massey University, New Zealand, examining the influence of social media on risk taking in extreme sport. I would like to invite BASE jumpers, skydivers, speedflyers, acro-paraglider pilots, white water kayakers, alpine mountaineers and mountain bikers to participate by answering a survey questionnaire. Please click on the link to complete the survey:

https://qasiasingleuser.asia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bIpmUl3ByhAEosJ

The more people that complete the survey results in a more powerful study. Please invite your friends who participate in any of these sports to join the group on Facebook: Extreme Sport Research and complete the survey.

Most appreciated - Anton Green
Skydiver, speedflyer, paraglider.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the data from all the other requests to answer a survey? Because it has never been done before on this site.[:/]

Hmmmmm, how much do survey takers get paid?

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Please state the number of close calls you have had whilst participating in your sport.
(A close call is an incident that could have resulted in injury or death if it had not been averted.)

Every time? It's SKYDIVING!

I participate with minimal safety equipment.

The question is ambiguous. Does that mean the safety equipment is the normally accepted minimums, or I'm pushing the far end of what would be considered safe at all? Say, a wing loading of 1.2 compared to say >2.5?

I deliberately put myself in danger.

I actively seek dangerous situations.

I enjoy taking risks.

Can you guess what I'm about to say? It's SKYDIVING!

It's not that your questions (as stated by some) are shite. It's that they need clarification of normally accepted standards in the sport vs what is actually risky, dangerous, whatever.

ALL skydiving is risky and dangerous. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves. That said, some activities in skydiving are more or less risky by the standards of the sport.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The influence of social media on risk taking?? There were no questions linking the two!! To control, wouldn't you have needed to compare results to a time where social media was not in use?

Not a great survey, in my opinion... Poorly worded questions and many questions where none of the proposed answers really fit my behaviour/thought-process...

Hmmm...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You only give the option of one sport .. but I do more than 1 and don't class any as my main.

You only give the option of Acrobatic paragliding - so don't you consider normal mountain flying dangerous enough?

No Hangliding?

Needs more work, me thinks

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

You only give the option of Acrobatic paragliding - so don't you consider normal mountain flying dangerous enough?

Indeed. This happened here two weeks ago: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/paraglider-crashes-near-lookout-mountain06202014
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

...examining the influence of social media on risk taking in extreme sport.

So...is your hypothesis based upon social media having a primary (if not the total definitive) influence in the decision loop of an individual engaging in extreme sports?

Here's a data point to consider...getting out of bed in the morning is a risk in and of itself. To validate that point, a cousin of mine died in bed...alone. And I'm sure you can tell us with absolute certainty that you or any of us in this forum will be alive in the next 10 minutes?

For the record, social media had nothing to do with me taking up and enjoying skydiving. So may I volunteer myself as being your first statistical outlier.

Skydiving risky? I'll go you one better...it's potentially deadly. The fact is this, everytime I leave the airplane to begin free fall, I'm a dead man unless I pitch the pilot and the canopy deploys properly to square, stable stearable etc. If not, then I better be thinking (very fast mind you) about a cutaway in which case I'm left with one last card to play...my reserve. Freefall is not fatal...landing can be.

I can't give you a valid reason why I skydive. I just know that after my first AFF jump, I was as they say, hooked. Yes it may kill me, then again, I'm a cancer survivor and accepted the fact a few years ago that ultimately, something is going to kill me.

So if I die in my rocking chair, I hope that it is in the evening after I've returned from the DZ after a great day of skydiving.

I think you should do a "home accidents" study, because that's where I tend to break and bruise myself the most!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Nataly

The influence of social media on risk taking?? There were no questions linking the two!! To control, wouldn't you have needed to compare results to a time where social media was not in use?

Not a great survey, in my opinion... Poorly worded questions and many questions where none of the proposed answers really fit my behaviour/thought-process...

Hmmm...

I don't know if the questionnaire was changed but when I did it there were plenty of those kinds of questions towards the end.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

skymama

I think you should do a "home accidents" study, because that's where I tend to break and bruise myself the most!

:D:D:D:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss