Twoply

I'm seriously beginning to think I should give up

I have been trying to get a patent issued for an idea that has real world applications.

I have encountered difficulties at each and every stage of this process.

Between unintentionally abandoning it, the government website not allowing me access, a bounced application due to a wrong label, a sluggish lawyer who drags his feet to the absolute last day to file responses, to a possible "lost in mail" situation, I'm thinking the universe is trying to tell me to just quit.

I'm fucking exhausted of this whole thing. All these stupid little snags just seem like such an unnecessary pain in the ass.

I've heard similar stories from other people seeking a patent. It isn't an easy process and it can take some jumping through hoops to end up with a patent. If you think your idea is worth it, don't give up now.

The biggest concern I have with what you posted is regarding your lawyer. As a business owner you should have a good relationship with your lawyer. You should trust your lawyer and believe that he/she is acting with your best interests in mind with everything he/she does. If you don't think that is the case I would recommend talking to your lawyer about your concerns, and if they are not properly addressed find a new lawyer ASAP. Your relationship with your lawyer will be an ongoing relationship over many years and you should never be frustrated by your lawyer's actions.

normiss

Perhaps a skilled patent attorney might help?
I could highly recommend one should you desire.

Excellent suggestion, I would have offered a recommendation but a Canadian lawyer probably wouldn't be what he needs.

Because what I am going through is ongoing, I will not go into it online. BUT, I will say this... No one likes a quitter. Just power through it. Nothing in life worth having is easy to obtain.
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

From the queen of "fuck it I quit this shit," get a new lawyer. The lawyer should be on your side, not part of the anguish.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You should talk with your lawyer. He/she may not be lazy, just smart. I used to be a patent and trademark paralegal. We never filed anything early. I'm not a lawyer, so you can't rely on my advice, but our reasoning was that should your patent end up in a lawsuit, your presumed protection extends back to the filing date, not the date of issue. The protection ends, however, 20 years from the date of issue. In other words, unless not having the patent is holding you up from monetizing your invention, there's no reason to rush the process.

To repeat: I'm not a lawyer, and it's been many years since I was in the biz. Go talk to your actual lawyer.

- Dan G