ZigZagMarquis

What did you recycle today?

ZigZagMarquis

Okay, some I'm no greenie tree-hugger, but getting cash for junk is COOL!

Today, I took an old broken down clothes dryer to the scrap-yard instead of just hauling it to the dump and got $6 for it.

Paid for my lunch!

:)

My hard drive . . . but there is no evidence of that.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ZigZagMarquis

Okay, some I'm no greenie tree-hugger, but getting cash for junk is COOL!

Today, I took an old broken down clothes dryer to the scrap-yard instead of just hauling it to the dump and got $6 for it.

Paid for my lunch!

:)

How much gas and labor?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

The neighborhood Scrappers make regular visits down our street. Normiss always sets out stuff for them to take instead of us taking it down ourselves (the scrapyard is only a few miles away). He figures those guys probably need the $6 more than we do. After seeing their trucks, I think he's right!

Other than that, we recycle lots of stuff daily. I have a lot of wine corks too, I just haven't figured out what to do with them!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Our recycle place is on the way to the DZ, so all glass, plastic, cans, paper, cardboard, motor oil, etc. goes there. I used to mess with $$$ for aluminum cans but not worth the hassle. No cash in my pocket but I don't have to pay to take it to the dump. :)
Our electric company pays $20 for any running fridge or freezer they pick up. Just leave it in the driveway with an extension cord to prove it's viable and they haul it away and mail you a check. Sweet deal. I've gotten rid of a couple that way. B|

I just did two remodel jobs, pulling out old carpet. Supposedly a place in Tacoma would recycle it for a nominal fee, but when I called they said they had too much product already. Off to the landfill. [:/]

With a little bit of time, freecycle is a great place to get rid of stuff that's potentially useful. And that way you get to actually meet the guy who wants three beach umbrellas.

The only thing I have to do is remember that I don't care if they sell whatever I gave them. If I give it away, it's theirs to do with as they please

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

JohnMitchell

Our recycle place is on the way to the DZ, so all glass, plastic, cans, paper, cardboard, motor oil, etc. goes there. I used to mess with $$$ for aluminum cans but not worth the hassle. No cash in my pocket but I don't have to pay to take it to the dump. :)

So you don't get any money for it? That's a drag.

We've got free (to us) curbside recycling where I'm at. I don't seem to accumulate enough plastic bottles and cans to make it worth my while to haul it to one of the local places that will give you a few cents per pound for it. So it all goes in the recycle bin and out to the curb every other week. Sometimes I see folks going down the street ahead of when the truck comes picking the aluminum cans out of folks recycle bins, which I don't mind, as long as they don't make a mess. I figure they could use the money more than me. Supposedly the stuff from the recycle bins goes to a sorting center where they divide stuff up and then it goes off to someplace where it is processed further. What isn't fit for recycling, then goes to the landfill. I've often wondered if these places, sorting centers, really even pay for themselves or if they're just a subsidized, make-work, program? Mostly I doubt it figuring that aluminum is the only thing that is really worth anything. I'm not sure how much they can get from plastic? And I've always wondered how they deal with unsorted and probably a lot of broken glass of mixed color? I've heard they have machines that can sort glass by color now, but I'm guessing they aren't cheap. Maybe they get a little money too for the steel jar lids and bottle caps and what-not that are mixed in and that would be easy to pull out with an electro-magnet. Anyway, I hope it's going to some good use. I'd hate to hear that it doesn't even cover the cost of the operation.

Our electric company pays $20 for any running fridge or freezer they pick up. Just leave it in the driveway with an extension cord to prove it's viable and they haul it away and mail you a check. Sweet deal. I've gotten rid of a couple that way. B|

That is cool! Never heard of anything like that, but can't say as I've gone looking either. Will have to try to remember to look around to see if there is anyone in my area that will take an old, but working fridge if / when I need to replace mine.

I just did two remodel jobs, pulling out old carpet. Supposedly a place in Tacoma would recycle it for a nominal fee, but when I called they said they had too much product already. Off to the landfill. [:/]

Why didn't you take it to the Dropzone? That's the "traditional" way of recycling old carpet. That's how I've seen most every packing area get carpeted. ;)

Dz hangar has all the carpet it needs. Also, some was pretty worn and much was in small chunks. Then there's the pad too. I've heard a large percentage of what goes into our land fills is construction debris and I believe it. V and I don't produce much garbage, it seems, except when we do a remodel job. :D

I'm always surprised how much my recycle bin fills up more than my trash bin in a normal week. But it's mostly due to card board boxes going out which I'm to lazy to totally break down. I do hope the card board I throw out in the recycle bin gets used and doesn't get rerouted to the landfill. I can remember when one could get cash for used news print and card board, but not anymore.

ZigZagMarquis

Do y'all ever get any copper pipe? Now there's where the bucks are!

True that. I don't move plumbing much, but I will turn that in for money. There's a place I take wiring, old appliances, metal, etc. that doesn't give money for it, but does sort and sell for recycling. Then small change I would get doesn't matter much to me. I just want to keep it out of the landfill.

Good appliances, etc. I give to Habitat for Humanity. Recently I tried to drop off some "brass and glass" lighting fixtures, popular 20 years ago. The guy said they don't take any shiny brass anything anymore. Darn, off to the landfill . . . :S:D

If it's really brass, I'd give it a try taking it to a scrap yard to see what they'd give you for it, but if it's plated something, probably not worth it.

Can't tell you how many hours I sat with my Dad stripping romex to get the copper. He worked for years in a department store and it seemed they were always redoing something here or there where they were rewiring because dad was always bringing home stuff they had pulled out. He's 86, retired years ago and it was just this past year while I was visiting him for an extended period that we got it all stripped and to the scrapper. He had piles of it in the cellar that he wouldn't just throw out because "it's worth money", but he just wasn't getting around to doing anything about.

Hi John,

Our electric company pays $20 for any running fridge or freezer they pick up. Just leave it in the driveway with an extension cord to prove it's viable and they haul it away and mail you a check.

Two years ago I did this with a freezer my mom had.

The next day it was gone. Later that day I got a phone message that they had truck trouble and would be there the next day to pick it up.

I 'sorta' think it got recycled by someone.

:S

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

Our electric company pays $20 for any running fridge or freezer they pick up. Just leave it in the driveway with an extension cord to prove it's viable and they haul it away and mail you a check.

Two years ago I did this with a freezer my mom had.

The next day it was gone. Later that day I got a phone message that they had truck trouble and would be there the next day to pick it up.

I 'sorta' think it got recycled by someone.

:S

JerryBaumchen

When we were stationed in El Paso, you could put anything on the curb, and by morning it was GONE!

We had a garage sale, which was advertised for Saturday morning, and we had people knocking on our door Friday evening. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

skymama

Other than that, we recycle lots of stuff daily. I have a lot of wine corks too, I just haven't figured out what to do with them!

Heat pads for the dinner table. We've done that. Just need a glue gun. We still have a bowl full of corks left but haven't gotten back to making more heat pads.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnMitchell

Every few months I clean out the recycle sorting station in my garage and haul it off to the recycler about 20 miles away, but only 5 miles from my work so I go during my lunch hour. A full pick-up truck bed's worth of cardboard, paperboard (cereal boxes for example), newspapers, magazines/catalogs, plastics, steel cans, and aluminum. I get paid for all except the plastics. Average pay per load is around $9. I'm due for another run.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban