lopullterri

Doing Tandems Without Proof of A Current Rating / Medical

So. Do you know how your DZ handles this issue? I happen to know a Tandem Instructor that has done Tandems in 2013 and 2014, yet his rating is lapsed (I believe since 2012, because it appears that his FAA medical is not current?). His DZ is likely unaware because they trust him, but isn't this a serious liability? This guy also claims (I assume for a current suit against a motorist) that he is in so much pain from a shoulder injury, he cannot lift items.
So. Question is...how does your DZ handle checking currency?
~"I am not afraid. I was born to do this"~

Yes, it is a serious liability. If you like your DZO you might want to tip him/her off to the issue.

When I ran a DZ I kept copies of all rating holders' documentation to insure everyone was in date. The DZ I jump at now also maintains records on rating holders.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

lopullterri

So. Do you know how your DZ handles this issue? I happen to know a Tandem Instructor that has done Tandems in 2013 and 2014, yet his rating is lapsed (I believe since 2012, because it appears that his FAA medical is not current?). His DZ is likely unaware because they trust him, but isn't this a serious liability? This guy also claims (I assume for a current suit against a motorist) that he is in so much pain from a shoulder injury, he cannot lift items.

If he's at a non USPA DZ, he doesn't need to have a current USPA membership or instructor rating, nor would he need a medical, IIRC.

What makes you think this persons medical isn't current? If it's the person you posted about in another thread, and I found the correct record, his medical is current.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

jimjumper

Not doing tandems anymore, but the DZ kept automated records of all requirements and would flag the TI if anything was out of date, just like the reserve repack programs.

Some DZ systems aren't keeping track of medicals, reserve repacks or USPA membership.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I happen to know a Tandem Instructor

I'm sorry you're going through an awful divorce situation, and I also understand your anger at your ex-husband and desire to act upon it. Many divorced or divorcing couples go through the same thing, and act upon those feelings.

With your other thread in mind - you want to serve him with process and compel him to comply with the decree - ask yourself: even if you're technically correct about his TI status (and/or the other stuff you've posted about him on here from time to time), will jacking him up like this put you in any better position?

Please don't get me wrong. If you were a relative of mine or one of my clients I'd probably say the same thing. Whatever happens, I hope you find peace.

theonlyski

***So. Do you know how your DZ handles this issue? I happen to know a Tandem Instructor that has done Tandems in 2013 and 2014, yet his rating is lapsed (I believe since 2012, because it appears that his FAA medical is not current?). His DZ is likely unaware because they trust him, but isn't this a serious liability? This guy also claims (I assume for a current suit against a motorist) that he is in so much pain from a shoulder injury, he cannot lift items.

If he's at a non USPA DZ, he doesn't need to have a current USPA membership or instructor rating, nor would he need a medical, IIRC.

What makes you think this persons medical isn't current? If it's the person you posted about in another thread, and I found the correct record, his medical is current.

The medical used to be an FAA requirement. Not sure if that's still true.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My assumption is based on the fact that he has notified me on multiple occasions stating that he has such a severe shoulder injury that he cannot lift anything. Not a pen to sign a signature or a Tandem Rig. He has stated that tandems hurt him so much that he is unable to do them. Simple assumption, on my part but I have come to understand now, that all you have to do is walk in and be breathing and able to see, in order to get a medical.

This I am pretty certain of. He did not have legal proof of a rating and his DZ did not check. They also do not appear to care that he is claiming a serious injury while continuing to do tandems.

I appreciate the sentiment...I really do but at this point I have no option. This has dragged out since Dec 2011 and I still do not have clear title to my home. Peace will come with his complying with a decree. He is in contempt of court and does it all because he thinks it is fun. It is his history and his pattern. I am not having funand I am sick of it. In addition...I placed a bet with myself that NO ONE would help me. I hope I lose that bet.

lopullterri

I appreciate the sentiment...I really do but at this point I have no option. This has dragged out since Dec 2011 and I still do not have clear title to my home. Peace will come with his complying with a decree. He is in contempt of court and does it all because he thinks it is fun. It is his history and his pattern. I am not having funand I am sick of it. In addition...I placed a bet with myself that NO ONE would help me. I hope I lose that bet.

Then you're really confirming that your principal motivation, which you didn't even hint at in your OP, was to start yet another thread in here to publicly jack up your ex over divorce issues. You've already got a bunch of previous threads and posts like that on here that the mods had to zap away, and for good reason: this isn't the place for it.

Again, I understand your anger, but you need to have some realistic handle on what is (and isn't!) the proper place and way to give voice to it. And again: I hope you find peace at the end of it all.

I believe that I have what I need, via PM and a couple phone calls. So...after all the $ I have spent someone finally had a conscience. I did take care of what is needed and had no other option as I am broke...cant afford a PI nor can I afford all the subpoenas that the attorney suggested to find him. I did what I had to...did not enjoy it and don't like getting bashed by a bunch of pompous @$$holes who have "notmyproblemitus". Do you think I enjoy the crap that is slung at me? Hell no and I knew it would happen BUT...I did get the help I asked for because SOME people...a very few, do give a damn. I held out as long as I could but sometimes when you get pushed up against a wall, you have to do some things you don't enjoy.

So what did you get? Confirmation he is at the DZ you think he is? Working?
So what? Are the jumpers on this website going to volunteer as process servers for you? No? Then you still have to pay a local private investigator to serve as process server.

Its not that expensive. Their is a fairly large firm, 20 mins away from his reported DZ that will do skip trace work for a flat $100.

All you did was alert him you are still looking and have some idea as to where he might be, so he can now go crawl under some new rock to hide. Not sure that's what you wanted to accomplish.

Doug_Davis

So what did you get? Confirmation he is at the DZ you think he is? Working?
So what? Are the jumpers on this website going to volunteer as process servers for you? No? Then you still have to pay a local private investigator to serve as process server.

Its not that expensive. Their is a fairly large firm, 20 mins away from his reported DZ that will do skip trace work for a flat $100.

All you did was alert him you are still looking and have some idea as to where he might be, so he can now go crawl under some new rock to hide. Not sure that's what you wanted to accomplish.

Perhaps it's just a bit premature to be rounding up the pitchforks and lighting the torches, these types of things are best observed from the very far sidelines.

Skip trace work is extremely inaccurate when someone is hiding their location. He has rented mailboxes that he uses as his address and I suspect some utilities under his sister's name. The skiptrace that WAS done only showed past information...MY address and his parents address. I am not stupid and like I said...he has learned how to go off the grid and has. Skip traces are a waste oof money for a guy like this and I already wasted that money. Again...I know where he lives and we can't serve him in a secure building unless he cooperates. Hiring a PI to stake him out and follow him is VERY expensive. I needed his work location (PM'd to me) so we could serve him at work, but instead we will use an alternative plan that will ultimately cost him a lot more money,which strangly enough I was trying to avoid.

I believe that I have what I need, via PM and a couple phone calls.

Good reason to shut this thread down now since it's really not about doing tandems without proof of a current rating, it's just another thread about your ex. [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon