Amazon

Brain eating Amoeba

JohnMitchell

Damn, all those years of swimming and skiing in those murky Texas lakes. Never knew it could be so dangerous.

Poor kid. . . [:/]

Ain't that the truth... I spent many a day in warm lakes in Florida. At least when we were at the fish camp or the boat yard it was salt water.

Being someone who makes their livelihood in the water its always been a fear of mine. Friend of mine who owns a competing paddle sports shop in a neighboring town got the same amoeba in his eye a couple years ago.
Luckily for him they got it soon and were able to both save his life and eyesight. They did have to do a cornea transplant though.

Just FYI this isnt only lake water. This amoeba is in your tap water as well. There was a lady who died last year snorting unboiled tap water up her nose from a neti pot. For those who dont know neti pots are used to clean out your sinuses.

Doug_Davis

Just FYI this isnt only lake water. This amoeba is in your tap water as well. There was a lady who died last year snorting unboiled tap water up her nose from a neti pot. For those who dont know neti pots are used to clean out your sinuses.

This was even in an episode of "House, M.D.".
Always boil the water before using in a neti pot.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It is always present in a lot of fresh water. If you prefer the flesh-eating kind, swim in salt water instead. :ph34r:

I have not done a lot of research, but if I am not mistaken: Though it is being talked about/warned about more, there is not necessarily more cases of infections/death in recent years than previously.

Still, it is definitely up there on my list of stuffsInowanna.

And now I am trying to decide if I would rather be attacked by a shark or brain/flesh-eating amoeba. My first thought is shark before brain, but after flesh. Then again, if it is just a leg I would rather have shark first in both scenarios. They make amazing leg prosthetics now it almost seems like nothing to worry about to lose a leg. But, I digress...

:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

When I was young my mother always warned us and would not let us swim or do any water activities in ponds or any still water after a certain time during the summer, she spoke of this, creeks and rivers where ok as long as the water was cold and flowing.
She called this time of year the dog days.....
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

It is true both brain-eating amoeba and flesh-eating bacteria are more prevalent in warmer waters--the warmer the better. But, if they are in that body of water during the dog-days of summer, they are in it during the winter, too.

It is really not very likely to contract either if I am not mistaken. Skiing and other activities that may cause one to face-plant and snort water is usually the culprit of brain-eating infection. One could swim all day in amoeba and never contract them as typically we are blowing out through our noses.

Flesh-eating bacteria are a bit more easily contracted, but not a big worry or likely to be fatal. Since most people are going to avoid the ocean with an open sore anyway for fear of Jaws, and more people still will stick to the "r" months for oysters (I LOVE oysters) and other shellfish, the chances of contracting flesh-eating bacteria in the ocean are fairly slim as well.

Again, though, both are still up there on my list of stuffsInowanna. Has never stopped me from wakeboarding or scuba-diving, though, either. Just one of those "unfortunate souls" things.

PetMD said it is possible, but not likely. Most susceptible are humans and mice. Still, we are always careful where we let our dogs swim. Standing water and smaller bodies always off-limits (mostly for other reasons/things that definitely can infect Fido).

Friends of my parents just lost their 11 year old son this way two weeks ago. They had gone to a popular swimming hole in Costa Rica where there were many other people also swimming. They came home on a Sunday, their son felt poorly that night and they lost him on Wednesday. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon