peek

Make a telephone call!

I'm sure that some of you have read my previous rants about cell phones. Well, I embrace new technology just fine, but it needs to actually work!

So I get a phone call on my office phone (land line) and it seems as though someone sent me a "text-to-voice" message. What a useless method of communication.

Here is what is wrong with them. 1. The artificial voice generates audio that cannot be understood much of the time, 2. The audio actually starts when you pick up the handset while you are getting it to your ear, thereby causing you to miss several seconds, 3. It tells you what telephone number it is coming from, but not what person!

Is there some reason a person can't make a phone call or send an email? (If you can find my office phone number, you can find my email address.)

I understand the usefulness of text messaging, but don't people want to first of all successfully get the message through?

As Divot said in a voice mail he left me yesterday:

One or two texts is sharing.
More than that is a conversation.
While the tips of my fingers are perfectly formed, I'm not a 16 year old girl.
I talk on the phone.

:D:D:D

He's right. B|

I'm all for E mail.

I thought 16 yo teens spent all their time talking on the phone.:o

I'm so far behind, I'm to old to try to catch up with new technology, or the old technology. :D I give up.

Time for another nap.:)

One Jump Wonder

At my previous employer, a *lot* of the people I interacted with were in India. And for some reason, they could not grasp the idea of putting *all* the pertinent information in the service ticket (done online) when they opened it. I would open the ticket, and find little to none of the relevant information I needed to do anything with it. So I would put a note in the ticket to provide the missing info, and move on to the next one.

So instead of doing what I asked, they would next call me on the phone. These calls would go like this:

Me: "Put the info in the ticket, or send me an email that I can copy/paste in there for you."

Them: [heavily-accented English rattling off lists of hostnames, IP addresses, port numbers, and I can't understand half of what they are trying to say]

Me: "I don't take dictation. Put the info in the ticket, or send me an email that I can copy/paste in there for you."

And the cycle would repeat until they finally understood I meant what I said. I don't know why they could not grasp that the info I needed had to be documented in the ticket. It reached the point that I would let all calls go to vmail, then use email to respond to them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In the UK you can tell whether you're calling a landline or a mobile - anything starting with 07 is a mobile, ), 0845 is what they call a Lo-Call (charged at local rate, no matter where you are in the country) and 09 premium rate line. Anything else is a landline.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Broke

Some people send texts to a landline only because they think it is a cell phone.

Yes, I'm sure they do, but if their phone and/or network is set up correctly they should get an error message if they set a text to a phone that cannot receive one.

I find it hard to believe that their network could be smart enough to change to a text-to-voice message automatically, but it is possible. Does anyone know?

peek

***Some people send texts to a landline only because they think it is a cell phone.

Yes, I'm sure they do, but if their phone and/or network is set up correctly they should get an error message if they set a text to a phone that cannot receive one.

I find it hard to believe that their network could be smart enough to change to a text-to-voice message automatically, but it is possible. Does anyone know?

I got the numbers mixed up last year & sent a text to YOUR landline...no error message came up. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~