yoink

Property damage in storage - is it even worth contacting a lawyer?

Morning all.

I've had some annoying news this week and was hoping for a little advice from those who might know a little more than I about liability for property damage.

I've had a load of my stuff in a storage facility in San Diego for over a year and paid extra for it all to be kept in an air conditioned space.

I got called in this week to find out that they have a mould problem, and sure enough all my stuff is COVERED in it - including all my parachutes and gear... :(

The facility brought in an expert to determine where it came from and apparently were told that the AC'd units share a concrete demising wall with a separately zoned office space on the other side of that wall, and that the difference in temperatures on either side of that wall has caused condensation to form on the storage side, introducing the mould.

The contract with the storage place is fairly typical - they state they assume no liability for any damage at all.

I'm wondering if folk here think it's worth approaching a lawyer seeing as I'd paid specifically for a unit with AC and that their building is at fault, or whether the contract I signed precludes any chance of suing them?

yoink

Doesn't cover mould... [:/]

There's a grey area if I can prove 'water damage'...

Sorry to hear about the damage to your stuff.

Do you have a guesstimate on the total damage to your stuff in the unit?

I'm guessing your going to need that to compare what the lawyer is going to cost you.B|
One Jump Wonder

>>>they state they assume no liability for any damage at all.

At the very least; it's worth an hour of attorney fee consultation time to take the contract and all missives about the mold for review.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

>>>they state they assume no liability for any damage at all.

At the very least; it's worth an hour of attorney fee consultation time to take the contract and all missives about the mold for review.

I don't know about San Diego but in Houston...I was screwed.

In my case the roof itself leaked causing considerable water damage to my stored property.

Several units in a row received said damage ~ the general consensus among all of us who consulted with an attorney was 'no liability' as was stated in the contract.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I had one flood on me years ago.
I was renting it mainly for a workshop for hot rods and bikes.
Came in one day and EVERYTHING had been pushed to one side due to water and mud.
Most of the furniture and household goods were ruined.
Thankfully all tools and motor parts were fine. MOSTLY thankfull the big block stroker motor wasn't damaged as it was moved around the room. I think I had about $9,000 in that motor at that point.
Yeah, no liability.
>:(