billvon

Relatively big news from NASA

Early testing on an unlikely propulsion source (microwaves) has given some promising results. The "Cannae drive" as it's called generates thrust via microwaves within a resonant chamber. It's passed early tests even though we don't yet understand why the thrust is occurring. The thrust is orders of magnitude greater than expected from the radiation pressure alone.

The thrust is predicted to be low - on the order of grams for a medium sized device - but such low thrust is accomplished without fuel, so a spacecraft without fuel could maneuver for decades. (You still need power from a reactor or solar panels.) For example these would be very effective on communication satellites, enabling them to maintain position for a long time and even change orbits when needed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/space/improbable-thruster-seems-work-violating-known-laws-physics/

OK, that is absolutely awesome! I can't wait to hear more. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a chimera

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I ran across something very similar to this a couple of years ago. Just dismissed it as quackery. But maybe there really is something to it. Maybe not. Maybe just another "superluminal neutrino". I do like the virtual particle angle, though.

> Hopefully it won't turn out to be a chimera

Honestly I think it has maybe a 25% chance of panning out (the experiment was not done in a vacuum, for example) but take enough of those chances and you'll eventually find something that works.

Okay, don't have a clue what I'm talking about but since no one seems to know how it produces force maybe it won't work in a vacuum. Needs the surrounding liquid helium to interact with microwaves. Energetic liquid or atomic level gaseous helium?

Now tell me why I'm an idiot.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

At the end part of the proof of concept video, in the link I posted he describes the test procedure.
The drive itself is in a vacume, it is surrounded in liquid helium to produce super conductivity and the chill from the helium will be close to the conditions in space.

I also don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what I got out of the video.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

mccurley

At the end part of the proof of concept video, in the link I posted he describes the test procedure.
The drive itself is in a vacume, it is surrounded in liquid helium to produce super conductivity and the chill from the helium will be close to the conditions in space.

I also don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what I got out of the video.

Yeah I've been following this story for a few days. Apparently no one at NASA really understands why it works either, so don't feel bad about that. They said some crap about virtual quantum plasma, but I think "magic" would have been a more honest answer.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

. They said some crap about virtual quantum plasma, but I think "magic" would have been a more honest answer.

That's all beyond my grasp of physics. I'm more of a Newtonian with some Relativity thrown in.

But perhaps this is one of those early peeks into the darkness, like the photoelectric effect or black body radiation, where confounding results validate later amazing theories. :)

FlyingRhenquest

***At the end part of the proof of concept video, in the link I posted he describes the test procedure.

When the one that isn't supposed to work measures out roughly the same as the one that is being tested, it screams experimental error to me. A problem with measurement.

My wife is hotter than your wife.