Amazon

Post your Samurai/Lotus/Jedei

i FINALLY found a good picture of Ascension. :)
yes, my canopy has a name. it's a 105 Jedei that was originally custom-made for Chuck Karcher. The kanji means, err...ascension. :P

Thanks to Grafico for making me try it a few years ago...it was a match made in heaven! :ph34r:
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Ok so i put 15 jumps on the Lotus at the holiday boogie. i loved everything about it save for one thing. I only had 1 on heading opening the whole boogie. The rest were atleast 180's and i had one that spun into 6 line twists. To its credit it did fly straight and lvl while i kicked them out.

The problem was not body position as i would take my time deploying, or uneven leg straps b/c there was no built in turn after opening.

The only thing i can think of is that the canopy is out of trim. The lines are kinda soft and fuzy so it wouldn't suprise me.

Other than this the landings, turns, glide, response to harnes input, are all awsome!! I was able to pull a 180 front riser during the sunset crosscountry.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

possible the it may have been out of trim...

Another possibility is that you can steer the canopy as it is opening. So if you have leg input on one side or the other it could turn a bit.

Next possibility is that you have different kinds of bands on your d-bag (i.e. regular rubber band and some are tube stoes) or that some are double banded and some not. This would also be influenced if the bites of line in the stows are not even.

I'd lean towards out of trim... how many jumps were on the canopy and whether or not you were doing the packing?

The packer that I used to use at my home DZ would consistantly give me 90+ offheading and it usually opened 180 off... but when I packed it the same way I've been packing it for years it would open right on heading 95% of the time.

I watched him pack it several times to figure out where the differences were... and it came down to placement of the nose (I shove it way forward and make sure the slider is as quartered and big as it can possibly be), how I roll the tail (tighter at the top by the grommets and several rolls on down very tightly), folding of the trailing edge/brakes (I put them flat and to the outside) and how I fold it to get it into the bag (I roll 3/4 of it and S-Fold the rest). I don't double wrap my bands (black Sky Bands)...

I used to have a packing video that I made on my technique... if I can find it I will post it somewhere if you would like.

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Yeah I think it may be out of trim as well. It did that to me a few times.. and it did it to Frog Nog when I let him jump it.. I told him it was just the extra added fun built in:P a little WOO HOO on opening. It never did spin up though.

My Sam on the other hand does not do that sort of thing... and the Lotus did not do it when I first demoed one at Byron Boogie a 3 years ago.

The packer i used the entire boogie used to jump a vengence so i trust he knows how to pack an airlock. I mentioned the off heading opening the first time and was very quick to suggest my body position as the culprit...

I have all normal rubberbands, i do have large bands on the first two inboard locking stows and small bands on everything else.

if you jump it at Perris, try using Laura the american packer. She used to pack in Z-hills and has been the best packer for my Jedei even with it being out of trim. Good canopy, it stayed above your head with line twists. It is my observation that if you have line twists and look at the riser ends/toggles/3 rings keeping them even will keep the canopy overhead. Uneven= spiraling canopy. Of course other things can cause a canopy to spiral while having linetwists. If you have questions...

Could be some kind of line dump induced bag spin.

What size Lotus did you jump?

it was a 190.

The openings weren't slammers or quick at all. Just nice and firm. The one on heading opening I had was FANTASTIC!!