riggerrob

Hypothetical skydiver lands in redwood tree

Hypothetical skydiver lands in redwood tree. He is more than 200 feet (70 metres) above rough, steeply-sloped ground. Half of his canopy is suspended from the branches of one tree while his other end cell is snagged on another tree. Ergo he is beyond reach of either trunk and beyond reach of any branch strong enough to support his weight.
How does he return to civilization?

Option 1: release one riser, which may swing him far enough to reach a trunk or weight-bearing branches.

Option 2: lean head back, purse lips, and blow....this may generate enough 'lift' to disengage canopy from trees, allowing him to glide to a more suitable landing area.

WARNING -- Option 2 MUST be attempted before Option 1.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

He reaches into his jumpsuit pocket, pulls out his phone and calls for help. Then he patiently waits for people with appropriate skills and equipment to come rescue him.

Getting hurt or killed by landing in a tree is fairly rare. Getting hurt or killed trying to get out of the tree after landing in it is not.

This is covered in the FJC at my DZ.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

First he checks to see if his GoPro is on. Then he opens his reserve, cuts all the lines off, ties and braids them into a rope long enough to get to the ground. He ties the rope to his leg straps and his ankles. Dives off toward the ground in the worlds coolest bungee jump. Hanging upside down he does a sit up, cuts the line, does a back flip and as he lands, pans upward to watch his rig release itself from the trees and float gently down to his feet. A hot red head going by on her ATV, picks him up and gives him the ride of his life.
OOOR. He dives out of the harness the GoPro falls off his head, lands on the ground film,s him pounding head first into the earth and the pack of coyotes scavenging his body hanging upside down from a tree.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

He fumbles for his hook knife to attempt to cut lines and fashion some kind of escape. IN so doing, he drops hook knife, becomes stranded, dies and becomes a mumified corpse. 30 years later he is found by hunters and the DB Cooper mystery is declared solved.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Unpack reserve, hold loose reserve in one hand at the top of the lines, cut away the main, then let go of the reserve as you start falling. Poof it opens and you have a 1 second reserve ride and PLF for all you're worth. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Unpack reserve, hold loose reserve in one hand at the top of the lines, cut away the main, then let go of the reserve as you start falling. Poof it opens and you have a 1 second reserve ride and PLF for all you're worth. B|

You first

Basically, "TARD Over" your reserve. I like it!
I would just add some swinging of the harness to get that flip right.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Cut the suspension lines of the end cell long enough to make a foot prusik and climb up to the branch holding the main.

Once up; cut the rest the suspension lines from the main and reserve and make into one long line using square fisherman's knots.

Tie a quick release knot (highwayman's hitch) to the branch

Use the three ring release as a descender.

Lower yourself to the next branch

Snap the highway hitch knot loose.

Rinse/Repeat till ground level.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Andy9o8

Call a lawyer. Get an emergency injunction.

.... an emergency injunction against a tree?
Hah!
I'll bet you that tree sprouted before injunctions were invented by mere humans!