rwieder

RIP: Robin Williams, Story Attached

I'm starting to get tired of the way the media romanticizes these folks after they are gone. Robin Williams was great...and an asshole. It's a chickenshit thing to do to your family and friends.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

I'm starting to get tired of the way the media romanticizes these folks after they are gone. Robin Williams was great...and an asshole. It's a chickenshit thing to do to your family and friends.

I don't think that's fair. It's his life, what he chooses to do with it is his business as long as he doesn't affect the health, liberty or property of someone else in the process.

Frankly, I think insulting someone who did something like this only encourages it more, because it's a de facto admission that his life was only worth living to make other people happy. Why the hell would anyone want that?
cavete terrae.

If you've never been there, you have no right to call it chicken shit.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

-David Foster Wallace

He was one funny man. I'll never forget "Mork & Mindy" The way he slept in the closet just killed me. And his "Mork calling Orson......Mork calling Orson" I'm signed off now Orson, see ya in the next life!

Bless him. What a personality. Bye Robin. :(:(:(

Dantes

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

-David Foster Wallace

this
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

grue

***I'm starting to get tired of the way the media romanticizes these folks after they are gone. Robin Williams was great...and an asshole. It's a chickenshit thing to do to your family and friends.

I don't think that's fair. It's his life, what he chooses to do with it is his business as long as he doesn't affect the health, liberty or property of someone else in the process.

Frankly, I think insulting someone who did something like this only encourages it more, because it's a de facto admission that his life was only worth living to make other people happy. Why the hell would anyone want that?

You think it makes people want to do it more than romanticizing his life and making him into some sort of hero? Three children and a wife might have something different to say.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******I'm starting to get tired of the way the media romanticizes these folks after they are gone. Robin Williams was great...and an asshole. It's a chickenshit thing to do to your family and friends.

You think it makes people want to do it more than romanticizing his life and making him into some sort of hero? Three children and a wife might have something different to say.

It certainly might.

Granted, I'm an admittedly selfish person. I will never marry, I will never have kids, and I'm done giving up my dreams to make other people happy, because I did it too many times.

I personally don't care how I'm remembered, but I assure you that the overwhelming majority of my adult life where I felt that all I existed for was to make other peoples' lives easier at the expense of hating my own certainly put some dark thoughts in my mind that haven't been there in times where I'm living for myself.
cavete terrae.

He was interviewed recently about getting back into TV and movies or tour doing stand-up out of necessity since he lost a lot of money in his 2 divorces. His TV show on CBS was cancelled earlier this year and he's had issues with alcohol for a long time.

I also didn't know much at all about him and his marriages. Married his 1st wife in the 80's, got caught having affair with a waitress (who sued him for giving her herpes), got divorced, got married again (to his son's nanny who was pregnant), then divorced again in 2008.

He said in an interview last year he could no longer afford his ranch http://www.trulia.com/property/3068602901-1100-Wall-Rd-Napa-CA-94558"]http://www.trulia.com/property/3068602901-1100-Wall-Rd-Napa-CA-94558 in Napa and had to list it for sale. It was listed for $35,000,000 in 2012 and is now listed for $30,000,000. Surely he has a good chunk of equity in it (probably around $8,000,000-10,000,000) but those mortgage payments must be ridiculous ($150,000 a month).

Here's his house he lived in this year http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2440-Paradise-Dr-Belvedere-Tiburon-CA-94920/19267969_zpid/. Pretty modest at 2600 square feet, even though it's worth a lot due to the location.

I think issues with $ drove him to suicide. RIP.

johnjyuuu

He was interviewed recently about getting back into TV and movies or tour doing stand-up out of necessity since he lost a lot of money in his 2 divorces. ...
... I think issues with $ drove him to suicide. RIP.

.................................................................................

Divorces can be expensive and ex-wives can suck the will to live out of you ... after they have sucked your wallet dry.

The world is lesser after the passing of a great comedian.
I hope Robin Williams finds peace in heaven.

Kind of like the F4U Corsair pilot who bailed on at an insanely low altitude (less than 500 feet on final approach for a runway). He replied that the flames hurt his feet so much that he did not care if he was wearing a parachute, he was bailing out!
Fortunately, his PEP rigger did a good job and the pilot walked away from that accident.

And here in Boulder last night: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/news/regional-news/ci_26319618/mourners-stop-by-boulders-mork-and-mindy-house

And the attached is what our Congressman Jared Polis put on his Twitter account:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

For some reason he always seemed like a person who was in pain and trying to hide it. His humor and drug use seemed like ways to cope for that. But he also always seemed to be someone who was very full of life. When I heard this last night I thought "Nooooo! Robin Williams!" I don't know what drove him to it, but the world will be a darker place without him.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Dantes

-David Foster Wallace

Thank you!

airdvr

I don't think it's chickenshit. It's a hard life when you're going through something like that, especially when the people around you simply don't understand. People always put a smile and pretend to be happy, but once they're alone that depression hits them hard and they feel like the best way out is ending it themselves. It's sad, but it's also true.

I was there before, I almost did it one night. Nothing was going my way in my life, and no one understood or had any idea what I was suffering through. It's hard to talk about it, and I never did to anyone, nobody could tell what was going through my head. I was always the clown in our group, always the cheerful funny one but when I was alone I was a fucking mess. It's really hard to explain to people who haven't experienced it, I'm trying here but I don't think I'm doing a good job at it. You just feel hopeless, trapped in this hell of a situation and you feel like the only way out is to end your life. You hope that it would make you feel better, that it will give you the peace of mind you are seeking. At that point you don't really think of your friends or family, at that point you're simply trying to do what makes you feel better. Is that selfish? Possibly, but let's be honest here, at the end of the day we all like to make our lives better, no matter how selfish things may seem.

Luckily for me that night I passed out and when I got up I grabbed my shit and went skydiving. Once I left that plane door I realized that anything can be fixed. Whatever is making me feel that way simply needs to be cut from my life, because nothing in this world is worth making yourself go through feelings and thoughts of suicide. Unfortunately most people don't realize that until it's too late.

We all need a way out, skydiving was mine.

very sad. he was great !! Cannot get my head around it but I never walked a mile in his shoes. Some celeb you feel like you know. Was gobb smacked when I heard the news..... just like when I heard Elvis and John LENNON died as well. Entertainers are such a big part of our lives (or most of us anyway)

Thanks Robin for the great entertainment ( I hope you knew how popular your are in Australia )

Just hard to fathom !!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

In the year 1806, a well-dressed man in his twenties visited a doctor who was renowned throughout London for being able to treat what nowadays we'd call depression, but back then was called melancholia.

The patient explained that he felt overcome by a terrible sadness, that he didn't want to get up in the morning. He could not see any point in his existence.

"With your condition I would normally prescribe a course of my patent powders," said the doctor, "but it so happens that I have recently come across something which will alleviate your condition much more quickly.

"You must," he continued, "go to the Covent Garden theatre to see the pantomime, Harlequin and Mother Goose. This is the happiest thing I have ever seen performed on a stage, tears of laugher ran down my face. Why, sir, I can almost guarantee that watching Grimaldi the clown will cure you completely!"

"Ah, but doctor," said the man sadly, "I am Grimaldi the clown."

http://www.historyextra.com/blog/patient

I've been close to committing suicide once or twice, mainly depression caused by PTSD and the fact that I spend 18 hours a day, 7 days a week looking after my disabled wife. I was lucky in that I managed to find a good support structure to help me through the worst times.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I read an article yesterday about whether suicide was selfish. The gal that wrote it had almost killed herself.

"Suicide is a decision made out of desperation, hopelessness, isolation and loneliness. The black hole that is clinical depression is all-consuming. Feeling like a burden to loved ones, feeling like there is no way out, feeling trapped and feeling isolated are all common among people who suffer from depression.

People who say that suicide is selfish always reference the survivors. It's selfish to leave children, spouses and other family members behind, so they say. They're not thinking about the survivors, or so they would have us believe. What they don't know is that those very loved ones are the reason many people hang on for just one more day. They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.

Until you've stared down that level of depression, until you've lost your soul to a sea of emptiness and darkness... you don't get to make those judgments. You might not understand it, and you are certainly entitled to your own feelings, but making those judgments and spreading that kind of negativity won't help the next person. In fact, it will only hurt others."