jclalor

Car speaker question

New speakers and an amplifier to power them would greatly improve the sound. Are you pretty handy and think you could install it yourself? If so, Crutchfield is a good company to purchase through and they include all directions and parts needed to install in factory speaker sizes. If not, then I would go to a car stereo shop, not best buy or large chains. Good luck

FreeFlyer2100

New speakers and an amplifier to power them would greatly improve the sound. Are you pretty handy and think you could install it yourself? If so, Crutchfield is a good company to purchase through and they include all directions and parts needed to install in factory speaker sizes. If not, then I would go to a car stereo shop, not best buy or large chains. Good luck

I wouldn't do it myself, wanted to keep it under a grand. Why not BB?

Thanks for the response.

Are you looking for more bass? or just better sound?

Changing just the speakers should make a big improvement. You will gain a pretty good amount of clarity from aftermarket speakers. If you want a lot of bass, you will need to look into a sub and amp.

A car shop will probably be full of people that know the products, and can give you what you want (at a price of course, since you cant do the labor yourself). BB and other large retailers will just try to sell you whatever they think they can talk you into. You should do research yourself, so youre not relying on someone else to tell you what is good.

As far as brand, look at reviews on amazon, crutchfield, etc... Any major brand should sound way better than stock though.

Personally, I recommend finding a friend who knows about stereo stuff and paying them to do it. Would be way cheaper. Or ask around your DZ, its not too hard and im sure you could find someone willing to help.

A quick search revealed the Rav4 has all 6.5" door speakers which you can have replaced and it'll be a substantial improvement. Nothing in that size is going to handle a whole lot of bass all that well, but adding a separate sub can be a trip down a rabbit hole.

From there, replacing the head unit and/or adding an external amp for the door speakers will also make a pretty big difference. You could definitely do that for less than a grand.

I also noted it looks like Toyota uses rivets and glue to install speakers, baffles, etc. so unless you're adventurous I'd follow the advice of others and have a car audio shop do it.

champu

A quick search revealed the Rav4 has all 6.5" door speakers which you can have replaced and it'll be a substantial improvement. Nothing in that size is going to handle a whole lot of bass all that well, but adding a separate sub can be a trip down a rabbit hole.

From there, replacing the head unit and/or adding an external amp for the door speakers will also make a pretty big difference. You could definitely do that for less than a grand.

I also noted it looks like Toyota uses rivets and glue to install speakers, baffles, etc. so unless you're adventurous I'd follow the advice of others and have a car audio shop do it.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure there's someone more ignorant than me on car stereos, I just haven't met them yet.

Anyways, I went to Fry's this morning and listened to all their 6.5" speakers and settled on some mid- priced Infinities, speakers and installation for about $500 They were pretty sure that just adding the new speakers would be plenty. (for me) Their installing them this afternoon.

jumpwally

Well,,,how does it sound ? you happy ?

What a huge difference just replacing the speakers made, I'm very happy with the sound. I'm also very happy with not seeing any signs of the installation, I was a bit worried about that.

Thanks again for all the advice.