skygranny

Returning to sport after almost 25 years, how to...

I hope this is a right place to ask such a question. If not, I kindly ask moderators to move it to a proper forum.

I've dusted off my log book and definitely decided I want to go back to sport, as soon as season starts, which will be sometime in March/April. I've been out of sport long enough that I have no idea what would it take to get the feeling and skills back again, and what would be the best approach to refresh.

Of course, I have to earn my license again, too. So, what do you think, how should I proceed - an SL course, AFF, or perhaps just coached jumps? For a start I intend to book some tunnel time with coach in Bottrop. Below is a summary of my previous skydiving experience, just to give you an idea.

I started back in 1977 with a SL training, and made my last jump in 1990. I haven't been current in the last three years before I finally stopped, made just a minimum of 10 jumps per year to prolong my license. The license was FAI approved and expired in 1991. By then I have logged 392 jumps, that include 12 night jumps, 2 water landings, several demo jumps out of DZ. I've jumped both round and square canopies, my last one being Para Foil. I had a luck to experience exits from a variety of flight machines, including Russian transporter AN-26, hot air baloons and Bell and MI-8 helicopters.

I was an average jumper, pretty good both in belly flying and accuracy landing but not brilliant. At that time a 13.000 ft lift was a rare case at my home DZ, so my total freefall time is around 100 minutes.

Skygranny
Love never fails

Where are you?

There is probably no need to do static line again, or a full AFF course, but I would suggest to take your questions to a dropzone, and a real life instructor who will work with you to get you back in the air. It will probably turn out to be easier than you think.

Welcome back! :)

Johan.
I am. I think.

He's right. Call the closest DZ; then call someone who knew you as a jumper (to vouch for you at the DZ if they're interested), and determine what's necessary to become current again. It varies from country to country (and the "Bottrop" makes it sound like you might be in Europe), and sometimes from DZ to DZ.

If you just call the DZ and they've never heard of you, they'll automatically assume you remember nothing. If you have a friend vouch for you on the way, you might not re-do an entire AFF or SL course. Unless, of course, you want to.

Either way, have fun.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As others have mentioned, the exact course of action will vary from DZ to DZ. Call the nearest DZ, tell them your story, and see what they have to say. Another option would be to post what's DZs are closest to you, and see if other posters have any opinions as to which would be best.

Given your time out of the sport, I would expect that you'll probably have to sit through the parts of the first jump course covering proper operation of the equipment, malfunctions, and aircraft safety/emergencies. After that, expect a recurrency jump with an instructor, which will probably be nothing more than a fun 2-way with a practice handle touch thrown in soon after exit.

Otherwise, not much has changed since 1990. Canopies are a little different, but the student rig you'll probably be jumping should be similar to what you remember. You'll have some new choices when you go to buy your own rig, but you can worry about that later.

20 years is a long time. At our DZ, we would ask you to sit through an AFF Ground School. But we would charge only $50 for the refresher training.

That way you would get a recap of all the stuff about equipment, aircraft, safety, canopy control and a good review of emergency stuff.

Then we would probably invent a skydive for you, a 1-on-1 AFF jump would probably suffice. Our expectation would be that you perform pretty well and before we cut you loose, we make sure you can perform basic aerial stuff, and safe canopy control and landings.

If you are a flailing geek, then I expect that we would recommend further training. If you had only 400 jumps over 13 years, you were only averaging 30 jumps a year anyway, barely what anyone would call 'staying active'.

A lot of it would depend on what you want to achieve....

what do you want to achieve?

I have logged 392 jumps

and

made my last jump in 1990

and

I haven't been current in the last three years before I finally stopped

Leads me to think that you should take a FJC again. Not the end of the world.

One of the best jumps of my life was an instruction jump with a guy that last jumped the year I was born and had a little under 500 jumps before he quit.

He had NEVER done a two way, so after his great performance on a SL and a H&P I took him to 10K and had him do a solo exit.... then I stayed behind him to make sure he was stable and then I flew in front and docked on him..... I will never forget that jump.

Welcome back, but play it safe and just take a FJC. I am sure after 20 years enough has changed and a refresher would be a good idea anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thank you all for replies.

Johan and Wendy, yes, I am from Europe, originally from Eastern Europe as you may see from what I said about planes I jumped. Jumping from AN-26 at night was quite an experience :)
But now, due to work, I shuffle between Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Italy and Ireland, spending most of my time in Austria and Germany this year. The nearest two dropzones would be Vienna/Wiener Neustadt in Austria and Dädalus Fallschirmsport Eisenach-Kindel in Hörselberg, Germany. Perhaps someone from those two dropzones could advise me? Returning to my home dropzone would be nearly impossible due to work, and quite frankly, awkward, as my STBXH is a chief coach at the dropzone :S

This leads me also to another question - can I earn a license in Austria, Germany or Ireland even if don't have their citizenship?

Many thanks in advance!

Blue skies,
Skygranny

Love never fails

David, thanks for reply. When I started, we didn't have a pay-per-jump system, but a government or city subsidised clubs with pretty scarce resources. Only those selected to a national team or "big guys" could get more jumps (means an average of 100-150 a year), the rest of us got 25-50 at most, and that depending on a decision of chief jumpmaster. If he didn't like you for whatever reason, one could sit grounded through all the season. Russian old school :S (but no, I'm not Russian)

So, in my best season I logged 68 jumps. There was no coaching system too, most of what I learned was self learning, studying what the best guys do and trying to emulate.

What do I want to achieve? I have no ambition to compete, but would be happy to find a 4-way to jump with, perhaps try bigger loads, and to develop my canopy piloting skills.

Love never fails

There was no coaching system too, most of what I learned was self learning, studying what the best guys do and trying to emulate

This just screams take a FJC... You will be amazed at the process today and most likely learn quite a bit.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hi skygranny! Welcome back! I returned to skydiving last year after a 33 year break. The people at your new DZ will work with you to get you back in the sport. I took a FJC and I'm glad I did. It really helped to get me up-to-date on the equipment and emergency procedures. After just a few jumps I'm pretty much able to do what I want and my C license is current again. I'm taking it slow, because the skills aren't there yet, but it is great to be back.
Have fun!

Go back to the list of forums and scroll down to the one in German. They may be able to help you with the specifics of DZ's in German speaking areas and European requirements concerning licenses and other issues (insurance comes to mind).

But the air is still the same and gravity still works.;) My guess is you'll be doing what you want in just a few jumps. Talk directly to the DZ's you considering for what they will require.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

He's right. Call the closest DZ; then call someone who knew you as a jumper (to vouch for you at the DZ if they're interested), and determine what's necessary to become current again. It varies from country to country (and the "Bottrop" makes it sound like you might be in Europe), and sometimes from DZ to DZ.

If you just call the DZ and they've never heard of you, they'll automatically assume you remember nothing. If you have a friend vouch for you on the way, you might not re-do an entire AFF or SL course. Unless, of course, you want to.

Either way, have fun.

Wendy P.

Bottrop is in germany, and happens to have probably the worlds fastest, newest, biggest and shiniest windtunnel known to the human race. just sayin'.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yes, virgin-burner, I know, and I can't wait to test it in February ;)

In the meantime, I started to collect equipment pieces, treated myself with a brand new jumpsuit and second hand Cypres 2. I already have altimeter, pro-dytter, helmet and goggles, so that should do for a start.

I plan to own a rig within a year , maybe sooner, if my job would allow me to have active sport season. I am 5 ft 8 and 143 lbs, not in a shape to run a marathon but still pretty fit, so I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem to find suitable used container and canopies in a WL range around 1-1,1 to start with. My initial thinking goes along Pilot 168 - PD reserve - Javelin Oddysey, but lets first get me airborne again :)

Love never fails

very cool! :)
i rather like to spend my money on actual skydives, coz i like being outside and stuff, the wind, the sun, the clouds, the friends..

sounds like a good starter-kit you have there. for the rig, dont forget paratec (basically in your neghbourhood).

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I had 24 years away from the sport,I went to a local D.Z. and was cleared to jump--even though I d never jumped a square ! I decided to go back "on the rope" and did a few before free fall.Its like riding a bike--I m as crap now as I was in the seventies ,Blue Skies,KC.