ryoder

Koenigsegg - The end of the camshaft

JohnMitchell

I've long known such a device was the holy grail of engine tuning. B| Making a practical devicel like that? Outstanding.

Vskydiver's little Fiat has a hydraulically variable lift system, but it still has the limitations of a camshaft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

Interesting. I just googled that and apparently there are plans to put it in Chrysler products.

Other things the Koenigsegg valve could enable that he didn't even mention:

1. A "Jake Brake" for gasoline engines like the big diesels use.

2. An engine that disables some cylinders under low loads, and it could even rotate which ones were disabled.

I would just love having an engine with stump-pulling low-rpm torque, while screaming like an F1 at high rpms, and having better gas mileage.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I would just love having an engine with stump-pulling low-rpm torque, while screaming like an F1 at high rpms, and having better gas mileage.

I guess you haven't paid close enough attention to the 2014 F1 season with it's massive regulation changes. The days of F1 engines screaming at 18,000 RPMs have forever gone the way of the DoDo birds. They've been limited to 12,000 RPMs but with the exception of the race starts, nobody is even running them remotely close to the limiter all because they all have to preserve fuel. At the current rate F1 is going, it won't be long before a Shifter Kart will be able to lap faster than an F1 car. Heck GP2 cars have pretty much the same lap times as the 2014 F1 cars. The sport has been neutered to appease the Greenies who never liked motorsports to begin with.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

The sport has been neutered to appease the Greenies who never liked motorsports to begin with.

So long as the Greenies are neutered to appease the motorheads who never like them to begin with, I think that's a fair compromise. :ph34r:

I've seen something like this 20-30 years ago. The problems with it were heat. Electronics don't like it and the viscosity of the oil changes, and the oil aerates so it gets "soft" making accurate opening and closing more difficult.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

CanuckInUSA

I would just love having an engine with stump-pulling low-rpm torque, while screaming like an F1 at high rpms, and having better gas mileage.

I guess you haven't paid close enough attention to the 2014 F1 season with it's massive regulation changes. The days of F1 engines screaming at 18,000 RPMs have forever gone the way of the DoDo birds. They've been limited to 12,000 RPMs but with the exception of the race starts, nobody is even running them remotely close to the limiter all because they all have to preserve fuel. At the current rate F1 is going, it won't be long before a Shifter Kart will be able to lap faster than an F1 car. Heck GP2 cars have pretty much the same lap times as the 2014 F1 cars. The sport has been neutered to appease the Greenies who never liked motorsports to begin with.

I live about 500 metres from the Melbourne F1 circuit and could barely hear the cars at home this year. Laaaaaaaame.
cavete terrae.