guineapiggie101

fly up or drive?

In about 3 weeks I am going up to San Jose, CA for a reunion of some sort. I will be up there for a few days since I want to do some touristy things too.

Should I fly or drive? Trying to find the most economical way to do this. If I drive, I am planning to take my own car up. It's a 2012 Civic with 68K miles on it (yeah, I do a lot of highway driving). I like driving since I have more control of time and I can do stuff on the way up. Just not sure if adding so much more miles on a 3 year old car is a good idea.

If I fly, I would also have to rent a car while I am up there.

If you were in my shoes, would you fly or drive?

Phillbo

Depends on how long the drive is.

I prefer to drive but I fly if the drive will be more than 9 hours.

I'm with you on this one. The Lost Prairie trek is a touch longer than that for us, but we drive so we can take all the gear and the camping equipment.

LA to SJC Looks like about a 6 hour drive. Factor in the airport BS at both ends eating up at least a couple of hours, it makes it more like a 3-4 hour drive, and you can go at your own pace. :)

Drive. Anything less than a full days drive is better than putting up with all the airport crap. Plus the cost of the rental.

You've already got enough miles on your car that it's not "low miles" anymore, a few hundred extra at this point are not an issue.
Hondas last a long time if you take care of them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

guineapiggie101

In about 3 weeks I am going up to San Jose, CA for a reunion of some sort. I will be up there for a few days since I want to do some touristy things too.

Should I fly or drive? Trying to find the most economical way to do this. If I drive, I am planning to take my own car up. It's a 2012 Civic with 68K miles on it (yeah, I do a lot of highway driving). I like driving since I have more control of time and I can do stuff on the way up. Just not sure if adding so much more miles on a 3 year old car is a good idea.

We'll fly you up in the PAC and jump you in....for a nominal fee:PB|

Drive.

wolfriverjoe

Drive. Anything less than a full days drive is better than putting up with all the airport crap. Plus the cost of the rental.

You've already got enough miles on your car that it's not "low miles" anymore, a few hundred extra at this point are not an issue.
Hondas last a long time if you take care of them.

I agree, but I would add another 3-4 days to that hate. I would rather drive cross country than deal with the commercial airline crap, anymore, if I could help it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Drive....
Once your up over the grape vine it's smooth sailing.
Change your oil, check your coolant and tire pressure and enjoy the ride.
Isn't anything better for an engine then running at highway speeds.
I'd buy a car with 200,000 highway miles over a car with 50,000 city miles any day.

grimmie

***In about 3 weeks I am going up to San Jose, CA for a reunion of some sort. I will be up there for a few days since I want to do some touristy things too.

We'll fly you up in the PAC and jump you in....for a nominal fee:PB|

Drive.

That'd be REAL cool, heheheh!!!!

Guess, driving it is. :) . I am hoping to take a drive afterwards to the redwood forests close to the CA/OR border.