Avikus

Rant: Dating a Whuffo

A successful relationship is full of compromises.

'I'll be away every weekend for 7 months of the year' is a pretty big starting caveat for any relationship, particularly when the subtext can easily be read as '(doing something I enjoy more than you)'.

'You can join me if you want' usually comes across in the worst possible way as well. ('I can put up with you if I have to...)

You may think skydivers are the best people in the world to hang out with but you have to understand that we're a) usually super intense and type A, and b) typically talk about nothing other than skydiving.
Imagine is she forced you to go to an event full of people you didn't get on with, who talked incessantly about stuff you have no interest in. Is that your fault?

If you're THAT into skydiving, you need to find someone who is either just as into it as you, or has their own thing.

First, I'll agree with the posters here who noted that the first red flag should have been the lack of hobbies and interests. I would think that someone like that just might be interested in checking out your hobby, so that she could finally have one, too!

Now, as to your original question -- is it possible to date a whuffo? I wouldn't know. Since I started skydiving, the only whuffo who expressed any serious interest was a guy who pretty much only wanted to date my resume. (he liked the fact that he was dating someone with a cool job and cooler hobby -- not really that he liked ME).

The other whuffos guys run the opposite direction, since they're afraid that I'll think they're pussies because they have no interest in jumping out of a plane. (or they really are pussies and don't want the truth to get out? I'm brainstorming here) ;)

If you think it's tough being a male skydiver trying to date whuffos, try looking at it from the female perspective! :S

Hope you still had an awesome time at Summerfest. B|

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Boomerdog

Something tells me from your writing that this lady made an attempt to change you. It's one of the biggest mistakes some (not all) women make with men. They try to change them and when they finally realize the impossible effort they took on to no avail, they either leave or accept you the way you are. In this case she left...

You forgot the third option. They succeed in changing the person and then leave them because they've changed. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Find a partner who has similar hobbies. Does not have to be the same sport.

My wife does not skydive (yet ;)) but she has a very active outdoor lifestyle. Climbing, hiking, mountain biking etc.

All this stuff is also really fun to do. You also need to make time and compromises to do things together.

I was at a week long boogie a couple weeks ago. I spent the tues - fri jumping, then took the weekend off to go hiking in the mountains with the family. Then on sunday evening took Wifey for a Tandom on the sunset load.

Sure I missed all the awesome weekend jumping action, but I still had a fantastic weekend and a very happy partner.

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

TriGirl

If you think it's tough being a male skydiver trying to date whuffos, try looking at it from the female perspective! :S

On the plus side, you're outnumbered by men in our sport by a margin of at least 3 to 1. Lot's of skydiver guys to choose from.

On the downside . . .?

They're all skydivers. :P

JohnMitchell

On the plus side, you're outnumbered by men in our sport by a margin of at least 3 to 1. Lot's of skydiver guys to choose from.

On the downside . . .?

The odds are good, but... :-D
Remster

JohnMitchell

On the downside . . .?

:Pmmhhhmmmm sure
Let's see every guy here that skydives is either married, in a relationship or over 70. Yup, "lots" to choose from !
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

:Pmmhhhmmmm sure
Let's see every guy here that skydives is either married, in a relationship or over 70. Yup, "lots" to choose from !

Damn, you're at the wrong DZ. Come down to our place. We're awash with young guys running around, including my 22 yo son last weekend. Fort Lewis is just minutes away, so we have all kinds of young Ranger and SF guys jumping here. Are you into short hair and big biceps? ;)

LuckyMcSwervy

And that's the other thing! She had no hobbies herself! What so ever! I was her main source of entertainment!

There's your problem. Someone can't possibly depend on you and you alone for her "entertainment". I think someone who doesn't have any interests/hobbies/passions outside of a coupling is a huge red flag. I'd beat feet ASAP but I wouldn't have let myself get into a relationship with someone without any depth in the first place.

]

Yup. The problem isn't that she was a wuffo the problem is she was not a healthy individual to be in a relationship
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Remster

On the downside . . .?

The odds are good, but... :-D

Exactly! (to both of you!)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!