turtlespeed

PSA in the form of a question . . .So - Out of curiosity . . .

. . . does everyone here know how to get banned for following the rules?

I really am curious if the rest of you know how that is actually done.

Hint: It boils down to a personal opinion.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What rule do you think was not violated and the person banned. Maybe if you'd attempt to be slightly more specific we might be able to have a discussion about it.

Maybe what appeared to be a violationless banning was, in fact, due to a violation you simply are not aware of.

It's not like the moderation staff needs to consult you, turtle, on violations.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

What rule do you think was not violated and the person banned. Maybe if you'd attempt to be slightly more specific we might be able to have a discussion about it.

It's a general question.

Why would you think it is specific, did something that fits this scenario happen?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

yoink

This reminds me of a typical teenage girls passive-aggressive facebook status.

You pay a lot of attention to teenage girls facebook pages?

Interesting.:|

turtlespeed

It's a general question.

Then, generally, no. I can state that people here do not get banned (by me at least) without a clear violation. Remember, I (as a moderator) can see things general users can not. As a result, I see a number of violations you simply can't.
quade -

turtlespeed

I really am curious if the rest of you know how that is actually done.

Hint: It boils down to a personal opinion.

I've never read the rules here...never been banned, or even warned for that matter.

I'd imagine though that the interpretation of the rules is fairly open & judgement calls are made regarding 'intent'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

quade

***It's a general question.

Then, generally, no. I can state that people here do not get banned (by me at least) without a clear violation. Remember, I (as a moderator) can see things general users can not. As a result, I see a number of violations you simply can't.

Which brings up a question I've heard discussed before...can mods read PM's?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I've never read the rules here...never been banned, or even warned for that matter.

Here they are;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=142088

They're fairly simple. My guess is if a user isn't trying to be a jerk, he'll probably never come close to violating one. My further guess is that even IF a person is trying to be a jerk, he can be a pretty big jerk without violating one.

We (the moderators) generally discuss who is itching for a fight and should be watched. We usually discuss warnings. We keep a on-going threads about certain repeat violators. Once a person is banned though, he's banned. If he's banned for life, then he's banned regardless of how many accounts he attempts to make and work his way back in. As soon as it is spotted, out he goes again. That's not for "no reason." That's because he was banned and the ban is still in effect. Again, some users might not be aware of it and think it's for "no reason," but the reason exists; they simply aren't aware of it.

So, go ahead and continue to stir up this shit Turtle. You're paddling up the wrong stream.
quade -

Which brings up a question I've heard discussed before...can mods read PM's?

I swear, that's gotta be the thing I get asked most about! :ph34r: I don't know about HH and Meso, but the Greenies can't. We can't even do anything in the forums we're not Mods for, although I get asked to moderate other's forums quite often.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

airtwardo

******Which brings up a question I've heard discussed before...can mods read PM's?

Nope. Nor would we care to.

Kinda what I figured & have interjected during such discussions...gotta be boring enough!

Um . . not QUITE sure I believe that 100% . . . That statement is probably mostly true. BUT I'm pretty damn sure they can be read by the mods when they are copied and pasted into communications between the Mods and HH or Meso.:)

quade

***It's a general question.

Yeah? Wonder what my rap sheet looks like....:):$
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

quade

***I've never read the rules here...never been banned, or even warned for that matter.

Here they are;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=142088

They're fairly simple. My guess is if a user isn't trying to be a jerk, he'll probably never come close to violating one. My further guess is that even IF a person is trying to be a jerk, he can be a pretty big jerk without violating one.

We (the moderators) generally discuss who is itching for a fight and should be watched. We usually discuss warnings. We keep a on-going threads about certain repeat violators. Once a person is banned though, he's banned. If he's banned for life, then he's banned regardless of how many accounts he attempts to make and work his way back in. As soon as it is spotted, out he goes again. That's not for "no reason." That's because he was banned and the ban is still in effect. Again, some users might not be aware of it and think it's for "no reason," but the reason exists; they simply aren't aware of it.

So, go ahead and continue to stir up this shit Turtle. You're paddling up the wrong stream.

So what happens if two people are using the same ISP

Gone fishing

rwieder

Yeah? Wonder what my rap sheet looks like....:):$

You ain't got nothing on me! ;)

I dunno about that... I've been on my last strike for the past few years. I like it too much here to get a perma ban, and my last banning lasted 45 days IIRC... :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I dunno about that... I've been on my last strike for the past few years. I like it too much here to get a perma ban, and my last banning lasted 45 days IIRC... :o

Well, I reckon you do have me there.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Zep

That doesn't mean they'll have the same IP address.

Each ISP has a massive pool of IP addresses for different regional areas which they can allocate from, and each pool is unique.

If you have a dynamic IP address (one which changes within the pool allocated by your ISP regularly), there is the possibility of you getting an IP address which another dz.commer in your locale has been banned with, but that's a tiny, tiny chance.

Each ISP has a massive pool of IP addresses for different regional areas which they can allocate from, and each pool is unique. If you have a dynamic IP address (one which changes within the pool allocated by your ISP regularly), there is the possibility of you getting an IP address which another dz.commer in your locale has been banned with, but that's a tiny, tiny chance.

Not according to one of the mods in these very forums. None of this is true according to this mod. I tried to explain, but they weren't listening.
-Richard-

You should be aware there are other ways a poster gives himself away as a sock puppet besides just the IP address. Just as ONE example, people can attempt to hide in various ways, but their posting style; grammar, subject matter, vocabulary, overall tone also figures into the equation.

If it looks like a duck, posts like a duck, and posts from the same IP, it's probably the same duck.
quade -

yoink

It will if the ISP is using NAT.

Each ISP has a massive pool of IP addresses for different regional areas which they can allocate from, and each pool is unique.

If you have a dynamic IP address (one which changes within the pool allocated by your ISP regularly), there is the possibility of you getting an IP address which another dz.commer in your locale has been banned with, but that's a tiny, tiny chance.

What you are describing is what ISP's were doing in the past, but if you were to start a new ISP today you would have a hell of a time getting the IPv4 networks to supply customers. So your only option might be NAT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

At Fortune 500 companies where I've done networking over the past 25 years, SOP was for thousands of internal employees to be NAT'd to a single external IP. And every so often, some bonehead at an Internet-facing company would block that IP on the assumption it represented just one user.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If it looks like a duck, posts like a duck, and posts from the same IP, it's probably the same duck.

We (I) weren't discussing ducks. We were discussing IP addresses. I assert that an IP address can change from city to city, state to state and country to country. Are you on board with that? I could care less about psychoanalyzing posting styles.......etc......
-Richard-