muff528

OK, Here's the Scenario/Dilemma...

Meteors have struck the Van Allen belt causing the sky to catch fire. There is a chance that it will cause the protracted, agonizing death of earth and earthlings ....or, if we do nothing, it may just burn itself out at 173 degrees and cause minimal harm ...couple of weeks, tops. We have the capability to launch a well-placed nuclear strike against the belt which will cause it to evaporate harmlessly into outer space, thereby saving the planet. But the window for that opportunity is closing. And, if the strike is off, just by a little, it could cause a devastating explosion, destroying the entire earth in an instant. So, do nothing and hope for the best? ...or take the shot and never know if anything bad happens?

Sounds like a job for Admiral Nelson and the Seaview.:)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

Sounds like a job for Admiral Nelson and the Seaview.:)

You beat me to it. It IS the same scenario as the film. Also, COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE.

That's what I get for taking an extended walk this morning. Pfft.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

muff528

Meteors have struck the Van Allen belt causing the sky to catch fire. There is a chance that it will cause the protracted, agonizing death of earth and earthlings ....or, if we do nothing, it may just burn itself out at 173 degrees and cause minimal harm ...couple of weeks, tops. We have the capability to launch a well-placed nuclear strike against the belt which will cause it to evaporate harmlessly into outer space, thereby saving the planet. But the window for that opportunity is closing. And, if the strike is off, just by a little, it could cause a devastating explosion, destroying the entire earth in an instant. So, do nothing and hope for the best? ...or take the shot and never know if anything bad happens?

The problem with this scenario and why I think the 1961 movie, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" fails miserably as science fiction is it has no science in the fiction. The Van Allen Belt can't catch fire and even if it did a nuclear missile wouldn't blow it out. Nor does the scenario work as an analogue for any societal issue that I can discern. It's simply posing a hypothetical for which there is not enough information for anyone to say which is the "right" course of action to take. It does so simply so Admiral Nelson can be in dramatic opposition to the rest of the Earth's scientists and come out as the hero of the film. To me, that's bad science fiction.
quade -

quade

The problem with this scenario and why I think the 1961 movie, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"...

Well, I'll be damned;
I barely remember the TV series from when I was a kid, but never knew it was a movie spinoff.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Are you telling me that wasn't a documentary!? :D

I just happened to catch the movie this morning on a vintage movie channel. Next up was "The White Dawn" (Peter Lorre's 1st film), but the ball games were starting. I think the VA belts were only discovered a couple of years before the "Voyage..." film. Combine newly-discovered "radiation belts" with the threat of a global nuclear holocaust and you get cheesy Sci-Fi. (...but I still love "Rodan" :)

ryoder

The problem with this scenario and why I think the 1961 movie, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"...

Well, I'll be damned;
I barely remember the TV series from when I was a kid, but never knew it was a movie spinoff.

Other way 'round. The film came first.
quade -

muff528

Are you telling me that wasn't a documentary!? :D

Good science fiction doesn't have to be a documentary, but as far as I'm concerned it has to do one of two things, even better if both.

1) Take an emerging scientific theory and examine what the possible outcomes are if taken to logical conclusions.

2) Take a real societal issue and reframe it in a situation and way where it can be discussed sub-texually so as to break down the normal prejudicial thinking of the reader/viewer.

The original "Star Trek" series excelled at both. H.G. Wells excelled at both.

Irwin Allen . . . eh . . . not usually so much . . . with the possible exception of the later years of "Land of the Giants."
quade -

quade

***Are you telling me that wasn't a documentary!? :D

Good science fiction doesn't have to be a documentary, but as far as I'm concerned it has to do one of two things, even better if both.

1) Take an emerging scientific theory and examine what the possible outcomes are if taken to logical conclusions.

2) Take a real societal issue and reframe it in a situation and way where it can be discussed sub-texually so as to break down the normal prejudicial thinking of the reader/viewer.

The original "Star Trek" series excelled at both. H.G. Wells excelled at both.

Irwin Allen . . . eh . . . not usually so much . . . with the possible exception of the later years of "Land of the Giants."

Well, I've always been a fan of these types of cheesy flicks. The cheesier, the better in some cases. And not just SF ...other types of movies, too. I'm not really expecting scientific accuracy or some social comment ...just mindless entertainment value. I also do appreciate "serious" science fiction movies which do try to be believably "scientific" such as Star Trek or 2001 or Wonder Woman. I do understand why some folks would not care for the "cheese factor".

Which is what he said.

I always loved the TV show as a kid, but didn't know it was inspired by a movie either.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

Which is what he said.

I'm going to say the sentence was somewhat ambiguous in the use of the word "it" and I misread it with the wrong intention. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
quade -

muff528

You seem like a person who, like me, thinks that 'Armageddon' is the best film ever made. We might be friends.

Stumpy

I'm not ashamed to say I really like Armageddon. Ok, maybe a little bit.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Somehow I've never seen Armageddon. In the past couple of decades the only films I've actually gone to the theater to see are the ones I've taken my son and nieces an nephews to see. Harry Potter, LOTR, Madagascar, etc.
With few exceptions, the only times I've seen anything else is when they happen across the TV screen. Looks like Armageddon is getting pretty good reviews from you guys.

"Best" covers a lot of territory. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with "Dr. Strangelove" or maybe "The Day the Earth Stood Still". (OK, these two carry deep socio/political messages with them but I try not to pay any attention to that.):)

JohnMitchell

One of my favorite movies is "Patton." Epic WWII film studying a character larger than life. I pull the blueray out maybe once a year to watch it.

I, too, also enjoy Dr. Strangelove from time to time. Who couldn't love Slim Picken's role?:)

Uncanny how much General Patton resembles General Turgidson, isn't it? :D

muff528

Well, I've always been a fan of these types of cheesy flicks. The cheesier, the better in some cases. And not just SF ...other types of movies, too. I'm not really expecting scientific accuracy or some social comment ...just mindless entertainment value. I also do appreciate "serious" science fiction movies which do try to be believably "scientific" such as Star Trek or 2001 or Wonder Woman. I do understand why some folks would not care for the "cheese factor".

Cheesy doesn't necessarily mean bad. When I lose interest, though, is when the author takes a scientific/technical/magic liberty too far. If the characters do something that makes no sense and receives no explanation and that resolves the tension in a situation, then nothing the author does to create tension in the plot later on is going to get me engaged.

Oh impending doom huh? Well I'm sure the protagonist can just phase-hack the boson dipole and everything will be fine.