akarunway

Safety first

akarunway

I remember when I was a Cub Scout and they taught me how to be safe with sharp objects. Had to pass a test before I could carry a pocket knife.

"Fuckin' pussies," -- said no one ever about that.

You do realize teaching kids to be safe with fire and sharp objects is probably one of the better and older things civilization has done throughout history; right?

It's not a "further pussification of america," (there's a capital A in America, BTW). It's what humans have pretty much ALWAYS done.

Just for reference, I found this on-line.
http://chuh.net/troop22/resources/TOTIN-CHIP_require.pdf
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

THis is a job for parents, not government.

It's a fuckin' blog post, not a law or regulation. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's also as much "Fire Safety" as it is about roasting marshmallows.
Kind of cute how they sneak in all that stuff about safely starting, keeping and extinguishing a campfire in there.

Wildfires are very often caused by campfires left unattended or not extinguished properly.

"Only YOU can prevent forest fires."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Apparently now Smokey Bear is a tool of our totalitarian overlords. Or something like that. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Apparently now Smokey Bear is a tool of our totalitarian overlords. Or something like that. :D:D

No, not really anyway.

Most of the campers that go into the woods are such tools that they need instructions on how to roast marshmallows.

And so our totalitarian overlords (or Mary Poppins, after all it is a "Nanny State") hide some valid fire safety info in an article about how to properly roast a marshmallow.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm still curious how they expect kids to roast marshmallows while standing ten feet away from the fire with a roasting stick that’s two and a half feet long? :S

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

I'm still curious how they expect kids to roast marshmallows while standing ten feet away from the fire with a roasting stick that’s two and a half feet long? :S

They would be required to use a fire S&TA who would roast the marshmallows for them, and then when ready, hand them to the kids standing 10-feet back.
( o Y o )

Does that mean the kids can't have marshmallow fire wars anymore? :(

>> I got my cousin right on the back of his thigh one time. It took our moms (aunts) 3 minutes to separate the fight. I think we were about 12 at the time.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

I guess you have never seen one of my campfires....ten feet may still be a little to close....B|
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I believe the forest service has little men with inch thick spectacles locked in a cave somewhere writing instructions. I volunteer in the summer and we had a manual for how to blow up dead animals. 20-30 pages of how to blow up a moose. Another 20 for a bear. On and on for each dead critter. How much dynamite, where to stick it, how far away to be when you touched it off. But never: Run MF Run. I always wondered why they left that out.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

I believe the forest service has little men with inch thick spectacles locked in a cave somewhere writing instructions. I volunteer in the summer and we had a manual for how to blow up dead animals. 20-30 pages of how to blow up a moose. Another 20 for a bear. On and on for each dead critter. How much dynamite, where to stick it, how far away to be when you touched it off. But never: Run MF Run. I always wondered why they left that out.

Nothing about how much to use for a whale?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***I believe the forest service has little men with inch thick spectacles locked in a cave somewhere writing instructions. I volunteer in the summer and we had a manual for how to blow up dead animals. 20-30 pages of how to blow up a moose. Another 20 for a bear. On and on for each dead critter. How much dynamite, where to stick it, how far away to be when you touched it off. But never: Run MF Run. I always wondered why they left that out.

Nothing about how much to use for a whale?;)

A Forest Whale?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

godfrog

***I'm still curious how they expect kids to roast marshmallows while standing ten feet away from the fire with a roasting stick that’s two and a half feet long? :S

I guess you have never seen one of my campfires....ten feet may still be a little to close....B|

OK... Campfire not equal to Bonfire. ;)

BIGUN

******I'm still curious how they expect kids to roast marshmallows while standing ten feet away from the fire with a roasting stick that’s two and a half feet long? :S

OK... Campfire not equal to Bonfire. ;)

Talk Back was though.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun