rifleman

Salt water powered car given licence for road testing

It's makers claim a top speed of 240mph, 0-62 in 2.8s and 373 mile range.

It will be interesting to see if this (or something similar) makes it to production.

http://www.stuff.tv/h2omg-240mph-car-powered-only-salt-water/news

http://www.intelligentliving.co/salt-water-powered-car-gets-european-approval/
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Flash in the Pan, I imagine that the oil cartels have already got together
to raise enough capital or hatched some foul deed so's that the patents
eventually belong to them long before the design goes into production.

Gone fishing

Iago

You can download the full press kit from their website.

They are rather nebulous about which 'electrolyte solutions' are used. One is probably salt water, the other is ????

Sounds like cold fusion.:|

I've got enough chemistry background to opine that there's no potential energy in salt water that can drive a car 240 mph. I smell something fishy. ;)

JohnMitchell

***You can download the full press kit from their website.

They are rather nebulous about which 'electrolyte solutions' are used. One is probably salt water, the other is ????

I've got enough chemistry background to opine that there's no potential energy in salt water that can drive a car 240 mph. I smell something fishy. ;)

Wikipedia article on flow batteries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery

And yes, their claims are so outlandish that I even looked for an article on Snopes.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

JohnMitchell

If enough rotten fish decompose at a rapid enough rate, then maybe the smell will repel enough people that they will push the stinky car out of town. Talk about a cheap home bound commute!
Hah!
Hah!

ryoder

******You can download the full press kit from their website.

And yes, their claims are so outlandish that I even looked for an article on Snopes.

Witchcraft:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My biggest problem with stuff like this is the swoopy car. Even if the tech works why is it always sold in something that looks like it came from a Bond movie? I'd hold more hope if they were peddling a 4 door sedan. With two snot nosed kids in the back.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

My biggest problem with stuff like this is the swoopy car. Even if the tech works why is it always sold in something that looks like it came from a Bond movie? I'd hold more hope if they were peddling a 4 door sedan. With two snot nosed kids in the back.

....................................................................................
Agreed!
That is the marketing cluster-fuck. The inexpensive 4-door sedan is still too expensive for the people who need it the most: working-poor.

OTOH the people who are most likely to buy first-generation "green" cars are wealthy people (who already own two or three cars) and want a flashy, look at me look at me" car to show off how "green" they are.
I agree that is a perverse logic.

Iago

***It's makers claim a top speed of 240mph, 0-62 in 2.8s and 373 mile range.

It will be interesting to see if this (or something similar) makes it to production.

http://www.stuff.tv/h2omg-240mph-car-powered-only-salt-water/news

http://www.intelligentliving.co/salt-water-powered-car-gets-european-approval/

You can download the full press kit from their website.

....................................................................................

If you pour enough extra chemicals into any liquid (e.g. salt water) you can convert it into battery electrolyte or a flammable liquid.

rifleman

It's makers claim a top speed of 240mph, 0-62 in 2.8s and 373 mile range.

Clearly the man is a genius. He ought to get together with Moller and make a "Sky Car" with the technology. It's obvious he's read Moller's book.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Clearly the man is a genius. He ought to get together with Moller and make a "Sky Car" with the technology. It's obvious he's read Moller's book.

Ooh!
An electric Moller Sky Car!
I like it!:)I hope the conversion to electric power doesn't delay the production date.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Ooh!
I like it!:)I hope the conversion to electric power doesn't delay the production date.;)

One more thing it has going for it; it's got what plants crave; it's got electrolytes.

(That's right mother f'er. I used TWO semi-colons in one sentence!)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Iago

Ooh!

One more thing it has going for it; it's got what plants crave; it's got electrolytes.

(That's right mother f'er. I used TWO semi-colons in one sentence!)

And the President is STILL the three time Smackdown Champion.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

JohnMitchell

I got no degree and I call it B.S. :P

Zep

Right. The same people that kept the 200 mile per gallon carburetor off the market. :P

Seriously, my dad, who would be 85 years old if he were still alive, said the 200 MPG carburetor conspiracy story was going around when he was a teenager. LOL

NewGuy2005

Right. The same people that kept the 200 mile per gallon carburetor off the market. :P

Seriously, my dad, who would be 85 years old if he were still alive, said the 200 MPG carburetor conspiracy story was going around when he was a teenager. LOL

Yep. Kinda like the "Nazi Synthetic Fuel" story. The Germans did develop synthetic fuels & lubricants. They had to when they lost their oil supplies.
But there was no "Vast Conspiracy" to keep them from the public. They are widely available today. At 3 to 4 times the cost.

If the technology gets patented, it's public knowledge - patents are a matter of public record. It can't be "kept secret."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

turtlespeed

*********You can download the full press kit from their website.

or not? http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2014/01/organic-mega-flow-battery-promises-breakthrough-for-renewable-energy
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast

************You can download the full press kit from their website.

or not? http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2014/01/organic-mega-flow-battery-promises-breakthrough-for-renewable-energy

OP linked click bait. A battery does not power a car the same way a fuel tank does not power a car. The energy contained in a ("salt water":|) flow battery powers the car the way the fuel contained in a fuel tank powers a car. Don't perpetuate click bait psuedoscience.

I don't really know what you're on about.

Sure ok, the car might be far fetched or whatever. Your previous comment seemed to suggest that flow batteries were witchcraft. I linked a website from the Harvard University School of Engineering and Applied Science that suggested that in fact flow batteries may be promising.

I guess I don't get what point you're trying to make with all of this:

A battery does not power a car the same way a fuel tank does not power a car. The energy contained in a ("salt water"Unimpressed) flow battery powers the car the way the fuel contained in a fuel tank powers a car.

~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Apologies, I just replied/quoted the last reply in the thread. Was not replying to you specifically, more reinforcing it. Just poor format choice on my part.

Flow batteries are promising things for sure. But the OP article title as well as most of the contents were intentionally misleading. This is annoying, and it seems like some thread participants are still confused on that. Or trolling.