MisterCrash

Depression is taking the fun out of skydiving, need help!

Just stumbled upon a 4 minute video about depression. It seems so well explained. In an other way that doctors and psychiaters have given to me:
http://9gag.tv/p/aKkd3X/learn-the-science-of-depression-in-4-minute-it-s-worth-your-time-asapscience

Could anyone tel me why my brain hasn't been scanned yet and why my DNA hasn't been analyzed? According to this video that should be the first things to do before the doctor can diagnose you and start treatment to stimulate brain growth?

The more I do research the more I keep getting pointed at cannabis.
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/25509
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5yzEu3JGQ#t=195
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurogenesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8XARojnbM&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdN-gHrsEQ&feature=youtu.be&a

Why haven't my doctors put me on CBD yet?
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

MisterCrash

Just stumbled upon a 4 minute video about depression. It seems so well explained. In an other way that doctors and psychiaters have given to me:
http://9gag.tv/p/aKkd3X/learn-the-science-of-depression-in-4-minute-it-s-worth-your-time-asapscience

Could anyone tel me why my brain hasn't been scanned yet and why my DNA hasn't been analyzed? According to this video that should be the first things to do before the doctor can diagnose you and start treatment to stimulate brain growth?

Not quite. The studies that the video is referring to are massive scientific studies designed to examine the biological basis of depression -- they are not referring to the methods used to diagnose depression. The diagnostic tools (e.g., standardised questionnaires like the K10 http://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depression/signs-and-symptoms/anxiety-and-depression-checklist-k10, DSM-V criteria) we have for depression do a pretty good job, without the need to scan brains or analyse DNA, which would be far more expensive and time consuming and not specific enough to apply to the individual biological makeup of everybody.

In terms of stimulating brain growth, this can be achieved in a number of ways without even needing medication. Learning a new skill or even taking part in regular exercise has been shown to stimulate neurogenesis at some level. This could be why exercise can have an antidepressant effect in some people.

I'm not up to date on all of the research behind CBD yet, but to my knowledge it is not legal everywhere in the world, and it's not a preferred first stage medication to treat depression. In time, with more research it may become as widely prescribed as SSRIs (which increase the amount of serotonin available in the brain), but medicine and science tend to be incremental. Things rarely advance in leaps and bounds, especially with something as controversial as treating patients with cannabis derivatives.

Best thing to do is to find a health care professional such as a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist who you can discuss this kind of thing with. They will be far more up to date on the research in terms of CBD, but you may need to shop around to find someone a little more open minded. A lot of doctors prescribe on the basis of the status quo -- so if a medication like an SSRIs works for 70% of people, they will continue to prescribe SSRIs for all of their patients until a better option comes along. Other physicians may be more willing to enter into a non-conventional treatment plan, and this is something you can negotiate together.

mcstain

Best thing to do is to find a health care professional such as a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist who you can discuss this kind of thing with. They will be far more up to date on the research in terms of CBD, but you may need to shop around to find someone a little more open minded. A lot of doctors prescribe on the basis of the status quo -- so if a medication like an SSRIs works for 70% of people, they will continue to prescribe SSRIs for all of their patients until a better option comes along. Other physicians may be more willing to enter into a non-conventional treatment plan, and this is something you can negotiate together.

I tried discussing this with my psychiatrist today. She also rejected my arguments. During the session she made several comments on what a difficult patient I am and they could have easily discharged me from the hospital because all I did was lay down in the couch.

I told her I needed more help in getting my ass into fitness therapy and she said the staff already tried everything to help me get into therapy. She said I needed to show more commitment to fight my depression. The basic line I got from the conversation was "you are responsible for your depression, you should solve it".

That's why I escaped from the hospital and will ask they fire me immediatly. If I have to believe my psychiater there is nothing they can do to help me and I should go find alternatives.

I'm really dissapointed in the way they treated me...
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

MisterCrash

I tried discussing this with my psychiatrist today. She also rejected my arguments. During the session she made several comments on what a difficult patient I am and they could have easily discharged me from the hospital because all I did was lay down in the couch.

I told her I needed more help in getting my ass into fitness therapy and she said the staff already tried everything to help me get into therapy. She said I needed to show more commitment to fight my depression. The basic line I got from the conversation was "you are responsible for your depression, you should solve it".

That's why I escaped from the hospital and will ask they fire me immediatly. If I have to believe my psychiater there is nothing they can do to help me and I should go find alternatives.

I'm really dissapointed in the way they treated me...

Argh, that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I tried to allude to the possibility of this happening in my post. It can take a long time to find a psychiatrist/psychologist/doctor that you see eye to eye with. Ultimately it can be a process of trial and error where you tell your life story over and over again at initial consultations until you find someone that you click with.

That said, it really doesn't sound like your current therapists are helping at all. I had to laugh when you mentioned that they thought you were a difficult patient because all you did was lie on the couch. What do they expect from someone experiencing depression!??? Enthusiasm is not one of the symptoms of depression.

Hang in there, and try to find another doctor to help out with your situation. It won't be easy, but finding the right person will help you to get the treatment that you need. In the meantime, try to look after yourself as best you can, and shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

BillyVance

***The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

Or bouncing on it like fucking Tom Cruise on Oprah... :D

You fucked Tom Cruise on Oprah?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

Meant as an adjective rather than an action. :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

*********The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

Bouncing or fucking?:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

MisterCrash

The basic line I got from the conversation was "you are responsible for your depression, you should solve it".

Some truth to that. You're responsible for who you are - be it your internal chemistry, life experience or mindset. You have to do the hard work to fix the problems too.

I really wish you well. As much as trying different meds has been suggested - sometimes trying different doctors is a good idea too.

I do have one question for you, where are you going in life? What's your goal? You don't have to actually answer that. I find when I am most unhappy with myself it's because I feel aimless. Finding a new pursuit tends to turn it around for me. It's just something to think about.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

turtlespeed

************The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORCRjIl_4uk
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***************The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

That was just weird.:|

turtlespeed

******************The least you could do is enthusiastically lay on the sofa.;)

That was just weird.:|

Exactly... Cruise is just a fake tard...