SuFantasma

Joan River Dies - Karma is a Bitch!

normiss

It's awesome to see people become dicks when someone dies.
Hey, speaking of karma.....
:|

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/04/25/joan-rivers-controversial-comments/8141327/

Joan Rivers has made a career at throwing stones from her multimillion-dollar glass houses.

This week, the 80-year-old Fashion Police host and longtime comedian came under fire for an offensive joke about three Cleveland women who were held captive and abused in a basement for a decade by Ariel Castro.

During a segment on the Today show on April 22 about her reality show Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?, Rivers made a crack about the size of her bedroom: "I'm still in the same stupid little room. I mean, those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space. I mean, it is just the worst."

The comment elicited an official statement from two of the victims' lawyers and sparked public outrage because Rivers refuses to apologize.

This is not the first time the comedian has been accused of going too far. Here are seven of her most controversial statements:

1. While commenting about German-born model Heidi Klum's dress at Elton John's Academy Awards party, Rivers said, "The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens."

2. When TMZ asked about Lindsay Lohan's miscarriage, Rivers said, "I hope she kept it." And when her daughter, Melissa, showed disgust, she continued, "I was born with a coat hanger in my ear."

3. When Lena Dunham appeared on the cover of Vogue, Rivers commented to Howard Stern, "You're sending a message out to people saying, 'It's OK, stay fat, get diabetes, everybody die. Lose your fingers.'"

4. Jennifer Lawrence is a common focus of Rivers' sassy comments. When discussing Lawrence's condemnation of her TV show for celebrating body shaming, Rivers countered: "I love that she's telling everyone how wrong it is to worry about retouching and body image, and meanwhile, she has been touched up more than a choir boy at the Vatican."

5. Even a baby isn't off-limits. Rivers' comments about Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's child, North, on Fashion Police went south quickly: "That baby is ugly ... I've never seen a 6-month-old so desperately in need of a waxing."

6. "Octomom" Nadya Suleman is common tabloid fodder. Here's what Rivers had to say about her to Jimmy Fallon and, later, Mario Lopez: "Oh, my God, just the size of her uterus scares me. She is like a log ride at Disney. The legs open, and wet, screaming children come out."

7. Complimenting (we think) actress AnnaSophia Robb's skirt and blouse at New York Fashion Week: "This outfit is so young and fresh and sexy. It just screams 'date rape.'" Great.

Call me a dick if you like .... I prefer to stay on the side of decency
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

She's never been my cup of tea since I thought she was mean in her comedy routines and red carpet hosting. I get that it's comedy and fashion reporting (ohhhhh so important in the grand scheme of life!) but I know others absolutely loved her and enjoyed her immensely.

I've read she was extremely charitable to many causes and very close to her family and friends. I'm always sad when someone who has a truly good heart (not the on stage persona) passes on. I hope her daughter carries on some of the good works.

I expect the Joan Rivers drag queens in Key West and Atlantic City will do some sort of tribute this evening.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Lighten up, Francis.

She could be hilarious, and yeah, way off color sometimes... like the female equivalent of Gilbert Gottfried. Her jokes made me laugh, and cringe sometimes, but that's who she was.

Rest easy Joan.

Oh and by the way, I'll bet you didn't know she was Jewish. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

[Reply]Joan Rivers has made a career at throwing stones from her multimillion-dollar glass houses.

Joan Rivers has thrown stones from her glass houses. And there is not any person who has been the target of her snipes as much as herself. She never deprecated anyone as much as Joan Rivers. She as incessant in criticizing herself in a humorous way. She hit on every fucking insecurity she had (right down to her husband's suicide) and made light of it.

Most of her goofs on others were goofs on herself. When she says her face moves less than Betty White's bowel. When she mentions Liberace as proof that one need not have big boobs to be feminine. When she joked about her bathtub play toys as a kid being toasters. Or comparing her anatomy to Mick Jagger's "child bearing lips." The list goes on.

Note her age and her time. She was cracking about sex and gender roles in the 60s. And continued it.

Most of her goofs on others included goofs on her. And she attacked the shallow and touched-up world of celebrity. Nothing was off limits. She had a form of social commentary that included her perceptions of her place in the world.

She broke barriers because she made fun of those roles. A Jewish oman in the 60s poking fun at sex? Long before Lisa Lampanelli was writing for Rolling Stone, Joan Rivers was bemoaning it being so long since she had sex that she couldn't remember who tied up whom.

Disagree with her take all you want. But she was never harder on anyone than she was on herself. Turning her insecurity about her appearance into lifelong self-loathing jokes about plastic surgery.

I'll miss the old broad.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

SuFantasma

All all can say, the world is now a better place because of her.

I am having trouble UNDERSTANDING this....
the term "karma is a bitch " should not be applicable to anyones,,,,, death....
and then do you mean the world is "better "?? cause she's gone?? or because she WAS here....??

Anyway... it's too bad she's passed... She was funny as a stand-up in the Carson Ed Sullivan days and ALWAYS a perfectly pretty Woman... As times rolled on, Her way of "keeping pace " and staying in the eye of the "fans " she got a bit overboard.... Her choice to persue and repeat elective surgical procedures is something i'll never get...:| Such drastic changes to appearance, and such costly procedures... Sure in Some cases reconstructive surgeries are a GodSend.. in other cases, evidence of personal uncertainly, or the need to conform to others around you....
Not to mention $ome Big Buck$...
R I P J Rivers.. you WERE Unique...

ryoder

So you don't like comedic insults?
You must really hate Don Rickles: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz3540912889130.html

Rickles is still, hilarious. His and Joan Rivers' type of comedy was doomed by 'political correctness'. Both of them got people to laugh at themselves and not take themselves so serious. I enjoy their kind of humor.
RIP Ms. Rivers.

Chuck

Having spent about 10 days in intensive care at my mother's side while she was slowly dying on life support, my heart goes out to Melissa Rivers.

Personally I wasn't a fan of Joan's later work but she was a pioneer in the industry and paved the way for other women in show business.

SuFantasma

Here's the thing; you can not like a person's style, or comedy, or whatever. The person can even be fairly reprehensible, but unless you're talking about literally Hitler or Saddam quality evil . . . give it a day. Just 24 hours.

Geebus.

(That's not me being a moderator. That's just an old dude who has seen enough people come and go.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

SuFantasma

Plastic surgeons around the world just took a financial hit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***All all can say, the world is now a better place because of her.

She is in New York though, so her family should be able to stuff her into one of those recycling center machines and get a 5 cent deposit back.

I've heard her say before that she made fun of painful topics because laughter took away some of their ability to hurt. She has a point; laughter IS the best medicine.

She was loud and brassy and a lot of her jokes made me cringe, but I respect her for working hard in the industry for so many years and not riding on anyone's coattails. She was 81 years old and had comedy engagements booked through November, she recently wrote a book and she had a weekly show on tv that was watched by millions. Who does that at her age?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

airdvr

I laughed at this one.... where she sparred with a heckler over a joke she made about Helen Keller... :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAD-ky3TYQk
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

champu

******All all can say, the world is now a better place because of her.

She is in New York though, so her family should be able to stuff her into one of those recycling center machines and get a 5 cent deposit back.

:D:D:D

She did joke about having had so many plastic surgeries that when she died, they were gonna donate her body to Tupperware. :D

I'm pretty sure she would have LOVED my Sick and Twisted thread if she had ever looked in it. :)

Oh For Fucks sake,,,,:S its freakin entertainment...why would anyone take her stuff serious ? Andrew Dice Clay,,Rosanne Barr many others said crude rude things,,its their style of comedy,,,geeezz..they made millions cuz millions liked it...geezzzz

Have you ever heard the shit told around the DZ bon fires ? LOL,,,fools.....

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083