promise5

What's you're best traveling tip? International or domestic

This is going to be controversial...but don't drink on the plane. I travel business class a lot for work, and while getting a nice buzz in the air sounds good in theory...in reality, you usually end up at your destination tired, dehydrated, and angry at the world.

airtwardo

Quade recommends the neck thingie...I don't like those and can spot someone wearing one two miles away.

Regardless of any attempts to conceal items or attempt to "fit in" with locals, most out of towners are easily spotted a mile away and international travelers at two.

While it is NEVER a good idea to advertise "you're not from around here" by wearing out of town clothing ("Go Sports TEAM!" or "'Murica - Fuck Yeah!"), the fact is you almost certainly will look out of place no matter what you attempt to do. Anyone preying on out of towners for a living is not going to be fooled regardless of where you stash your stuff.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Quade recommends the neck thingie...I don't like those and can spot someone wearing one two miles away.

Regardless of any attempts to conceal items or attempt to "fit in" with locals, most out of towners are easily spotted a mile away and international travelers at two.

While it is NEVER a good idea to advertise "you're not from around here" by wearing out of town clothing ("Go Sports TEAM!" or "'Murica - Fuck Yeah!"), the fact is you almost certainly will look out of place no matter what you attempt to do. Anyone preying on out of towners for a living is not going to be fooled regardless of where you stash your stuff.

True to varying degrees and somewhat depending on how much effort you care to put out & where & how you're traveling.

When I really want to 'fit in' I do...often it isn't until I open my mouth that I'm 'outed' as a non-local. But then again I've traveled in Europe extensively for the past 20 years going 1/2 a dozen times annually.

..It certainly does help if you don't have the deer in the headlights lost in the ozone look - not to mention a wife that speaks 6 languages. :D

And as far as ~ Anyone preying on out of towners for a living is not going to be fooled regardless of where you stash your stuff.

~ Maybe - maybe not...I spent 4 months in Russia with a rather considerable amount of 'uncirculated US currency' on my person 24/7 back when we got the kids. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

1) Relax... Give yourself time to get to your plane, make connections etc. Make the journey part of the trip. Being stressed out AS you're getting on a plane sucks.

2) Hydrate. Airports are the only place where it's socially acceptable to drink at 7am. Don't fall into that trap - you'll feel like crap getting off.

3) Noise cancelling headphones.

4) For long flights, carry a change of socks / underwear in your carry on. Changing halfway through a flight instantly makes you feel better.

5) Don't let other passengers stress you out. I'm really bad at this - arseholes who have no thought of other people so bring fish burritos onto a 7am flight, or who put jackets flat into the overhead bin space. GRR.
Accept it. People are arseholes in public. find your zen place and don't let them wreck it for you.

You all are over thinking this flying stuff.

Trust me it's no biggie.:ph34r:

If you have to[:/]

Trying to dress for success:S.
Last time I flew I wore flip flops thru security."Have to remove your shoes":S

Staying hydrated during the flight works, unless, well let's just say that Depends:$

Efficiently packing is over rated. Most places have a wall mart, or its local equivalent.

Driving has its own set of problems, last yr we had to drive over the continental divide in a snow storm. Staying in motels[:/] to many IV meth freaks, very few ties, and who know what else. Rooms are like a bio hazard.:S

I have to fly in 2 weeks back to the Midwest for 2 weeks. I'll do fine, no baggage, only one layer of clothes, credit cards, picture ID , new cash and no cell phone.:P

Arthur Bryant BBQ, coming and going. The return flight we'll stink out the plane:D:D:D

I can hardly wait to fly twice in two weeks, see more peeps that I see in a yr, but I'll do fine. :)
I assume the DA at my destination decided not to prosecute, since I haven't received "the letter" after last yr.:) I have a push bike lined up just in case.;)

Trust me:D.

One Jump Wonder

~ Maybe - maybe not...I spent 4 months in Russia with a rather considerable amount of 'uncirculated US currency' on my 6'4"person 24/7 back when we got the kids.

Fixed it for you:P

That said, I travel quite a bit too, and haven't had any trouble.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

yoink

1) Relax... Give yourself time to get to your plane, make connections etc. Make the journey part of the trip. Being stressed out AS you're getting on a plane sucks.

I like this too. I always travel with my Kindle and enjoy my reading time, waiting at the gate.

who put jackets flat into the overhead bin space. GRR.
Accept it.

Accept it? Nope, I stuff 'em out of the way and shove my bag in. It's a baggage compartment, not a wardrobe.

2) Hydrate. Airports are the only place where it's socially acceptable to drink at 7am. Don't fall into that trap - you'll feel like crap getting off.

The complimentary alcohol on international flights is the be treated as a challenge. You only feel like crap if you stop drinking!
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

wmw999

~ Maybe - maybe not...I spent 4 months in Russia with a rather considerable amount of 'uncirculated US currency' on my 6'4"person 24/7 back when we got the kids.

Fixed it for you:P

That said, I travel quite a bit too, and haven't had any trouble.

Wendy P.

Point taken ~

I guess it doesn't really hurt that I look like an Eastern European....serial killer. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

And as far as ~ Anyone preying on out of towners for a living is not going to be fooled regardless of where you stash your stuff.

~ Maybe - maybe not...I spent 4 months in Russia with a rather considerable amount of 'uncirculated US currency' on my person 24/7 back when we got the kids. ;)

Understand what I wrote. Just because you personally were not a target doesn't mean you fooled them into thinking you were a local. Certain people, regardless of country of origin, give off a "don't fuck with me" vibe that people who prey on others don't like to fuck with. And yes, they can easily spot that too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***And as far as ~ Anyone preying on out of towners for a living is not going to be fooled regardless of where you stash your stuff.

Understand what I wrote. Just because you personally were not a target doesn't mean you fooled them into thinking you were a local. Certain people, regardless of country of origin, give off a "don't fuck with me" vibe that people who prey on others don't like to fuck with. And yes, they can easily spot that too.

Negative vibes[:/]

Outward appearance don't mean squat. There's always someone bigger more bad or more confused than the other guy, or gal.

It just depends how bad they want what you might have.
One Jump Wonder

My proudest moment in Italy was when a local hustler, trying to hustle another American at the train station, briefly mistook me for an Italian. It lasted about 30 seconds until she realized I was an American too, and started trying to hustle me.

Everyone else in the country knew we were American from about a half mile away.

- Dan G

Krip

Outward appearance don't mean squat. There's always someone bigger more bad or more confused than the other guy, or gal.

That's not entirely true. The con artists, hustlers and pickpockets want an easy score, not a huge hassle.

They know what they are looking for and will skip over anyone who looks like they might be trouble.

Pay attention to what's going on, carry yourself well, be in reasonable shape and most of the bad guys will look for an easier victim. (most, not all)

Kinda like not having to outrun the bear.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If its your first night in Cambodia and a local invites you to get on his motorcycle to go into the city to buy hard drugs.

You should totally go!

One of the craziest nights of my life.

I also got robbed in Cambodia, but honestly I guess there is no such thing as a free blow job from a lady boy >:(

Have you seen my pants?

If it's 2am, and you find yourself in Istanbul for the first time, and two other first time "visitors" ask you in their broken Romani accent to join them for the walk downtown, where you soon find yourself in a "restaurant" surrounded by several beautiful Ukrainian women, who seem to be paying you slightly more attention than you're use to receiving...

Things may not be as they appear.

wolfriverjoe

That's not entirely true. The con artists, hustlers and pickpockets want an easy score, not a huge hassle.

They know what they are looking for and will skip over anyone who looks like they might be trouble.

Pay attention to what's going on, carry yourself well, be in reasonable shape and most of the bad guys will look for an easier victim. (most, not all)

Kinda like not having to outrun the bear.

Some peeps want to cut down the biggest tree in the forest. It adds to their status in their social group. There are some things more important than money to these peeps. Their not into it for the money.

Wrong place, wrong time, shit happens.B|

Can we agree that we disagree;)

BTW our neighbor hood den of brown bears is on the other side of our 3 ft wooden fence 15 ft from our house.
As long as we bring in the bird food at night, they leave us and our hounds alone.
When we forget and it disappears, we don't go looking for it.:ph34r:
One Jump Wonder

yoink

3) Noise cancelling headphones.

4) For long flights, carry a change of socks / underwear in your carry on. Changing halfway through a flight instantly makes you feel better.

5) Don't let other passengers stress you out. I'm really bad at this - arseholes who have no thought of other people so bring fish burritos onto a 7am flight, or who put jackets flat into the overhead bin space. GRR.
Accept it. People are arseholes in public. find your zen place and don't let them wreck it for you.

This just about covers it !!!

jclalor

If it's 2am, and you find yourself in Istanbul for the first time, and two other first time "visitors" ask you in their broken Romani accent to join them for the walk downtown, where you soon find yourself in a "restaurant" surrounded by several beautiful Ukrainian women, who seem to be paying you slightly more attention than you're use to receiving...

Things may not be as they appear.

Thats pretty much any establishment in SE asia.

I ended up paying a girl to sit and drink with me so the other whores would stop interrupting me while I was trying to get drunk.

Then I took her home for a freebie ;)
Have you seen my pants?

If you're a US citizen then you can apply for the US Global Entry card. This is something that lets you use TSA Pre-check for any domestic flight. On international flights it also means a bypass through some of the customs bs you normally deal with. I haven't tried to use the card to see if they make me unpack my rig, but that's because I'm poor and don't own one. I'm sure they let that slide with the special card, too. Search US GOES for the online application system. Makes crossing the borders by car easier too (**** San Ysidro)

Other tips include expect to come back with more than you take, avoid taking a laptop if you can, wear flip flops on the day of the flight for easier removal during the TSA check, use a passport for identification so you can keep your purse/wallet stowed during checks, and finally, on short flights go for an aisle seat so access to the lavatory is easier. On long international flights go for a window seat so you can rest without getting bumped by others for said lavatory usage.

Also, resist the temptation to bail at 10k feet over your destination :P
"I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather be a majestic eagle riding a missile across the sky with sparklers than be an old couch potato." - Jack London (paraphrased)