promise5

What's you're best traveling tip? International or domestic

Always keep at least one change of underwear, a T shirt and a spare skirt/trousers (whatever your personal preference is) in your carry on. That way if the airline manages to lose/misroute your hold luggage you've got a change of clothes until they find the rest or give you cash to replace the missing items.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

JohnnyMarko

Third, don't fly commercial with your sky-rig

Why? I haven't had problems. If you take your rig as carry on TSA might ask what do I have there but they don't seem to care much. So far worst case has been that they swab the rig and move on.

Quite surprisingly I got more questions in Europe where I was once requested to open the rig; I just flat out told them that I can't do it and they were fine with it :S

My general rule is that I take my rig as carry on when flying to skydive destination (CA, AZ) and check it on the way home.

Once had my helmet on during the take-off as it didn't fit into overhead locker. Old lady next to me was a bit confused, though :P

My tip to the OP would be to be first to board the plane to when traveling with your rig as carry on. This should ensure that you can stow your bags and don't need to check them at the gate - which turns out to be the best way to ensure airline will lose it.

Second is to be nice to security and airline staff, no matter what. If there are delays or your luggage is lost don't chew it on the desk level people. If you treat them well they usually go extra mile to make you comfortable, be that vouchers, upgrades, lounge access and so on.

Call your credit card provider before you leave to let them know you'll be out of the country.

Make a copy of the info and photo pages of your passport in case it gets lost.

Never carry cash on a Saturday night in the train station at Las Ramblas in Barcelona. There are pick pockets. :D:D[:/]B|

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

1. Noise cancelling earbuds or headphones.
2. Your own music, movie or book.
3. Bring on your own water and snack or food so you're not waiting on flight attendant.
4. Deep breath and relax about delays or missed connections. When things go wrong that's when true adventure begins ;)

#1 is my "best" tip but the others are easy to do.

Airport Mojo:

If you're not checking a bag and already have your boarding pass (IE, got it in the mail) you can skip the check-in line, go straight to your gate and check in there. There are two sets of screens prominently placed in every airport, with arrivals and departures. It's a good idea to head to the departures one, find your flight on the board and verify the concourse and gate number haven't changed.

Knowing your airport counts for a lot. Up-to-date information also counts for a lot. Like I used to be able to move through Atlanta faster on their moving sidewalks than on their people mover. At the last time I checked at DIA, they had a separate security checkpoint on the bridge between the main hub and concourse A. Since that checkpoint got about a quarter of the traffic that the main one did, I usually went through that. That information's a bit over a decade old though.

I'd rather get on the plane last and get off it first than the other way around. Oddly it's the other way around on skydiving planes (High Pulls and Wingsuits get out last.)

All airport personnel are required to ask, upon seeing your rig, if you're planning to get out of the plane. Tell them you try to avoid exiting aircraft in a fashion that could result in you getting sucked into an engine.

Never, for any reason, travel through Heathrow in the UK. That thing makes Atlanta look well-designed. If you DO travel though Heathrow and have to leave the airport, do try to avoid getting hit by a car as you leave the airport. It seems like this is a problem there.

Leave yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, get checked in and get through security. A huge amount of the stress people undergo at the airport is self-inflicted. If you have some extra time there, use it to study their process. Once you understand how the place works, it's much easier to relax and be comfortable there.

Avoid children. They're filthy little disease carriers. I swear parents bring their children to the airport just so they can rub the grubby little things on every single surface. You're already pushing the bounds of your immune system by jamming yourself in a sardine can with 80 other random members of your species. How everyone doesn't end up with TB and/or Ebola is beyond me...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Pack light, so you don't have to check anything, and aren't worried about whether they'll let your bag on the plane. Remember that none of the people you see when you're traveling know you wore the same shirt and pair of pants yesterday, too

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

People talk about packing light and I believe in that too. However, what I believe is incredibly important is to be okay and able to do at any moment is being able to drop whatever you're carrying at any given moment, being able to run like hell if you have to and STILL be able to to get back home.

Get one of those pouches to hang around your neck to put truly valuable documents (passport, tickets, medical data, back-up credit card) and whatnot in and tuck it inside your shirt. It will not stop you from getting robbed at gun point or whatever, but baring that you'll at least get back home.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

I do not think that means what you think it means!

~ As fas a traveling...

-always travel LIGHT, that's the thing that separates a 'seasoned' traveler from a wuffo.

Only the the rarest of occasions does one really need a monster sized suitcase that needs to be checked in. I went to Spain for 6 weeks last year and took my usual carry on suitcase and backpack.

When packing the suitcase - roll socks & skivvies up and stuff them in the ONE extra pair of shoes. Roll pants up tightly, lay shirts on top of everything flat as the last thing to go in and fold them to the inside area of the whole case.

Backpack...I use one fairly large Swiss Army backpack, well made, versatile and very comfortable to use. In IT goes one complete change of clothes, a ditty bag of personal items (shaver, spare glasses, medicine, band aids, etc.

- I also have an 'el cheapo' thin nylon backpack which goes inside the bigger one....in that goes the things you will need during the flight, snacks, music, books, two bottles of water, longsleeve pullover tee etc.

When you board the aircraft, stick the big backpack & rollie suitcase in the overhead - the small one goes under your seat.;)

Wear nice clothes on the flight especially when traveling overseas...looking business gets ya better treatment than looking 'Bum'...

Loose comfortable clothing is best for long flights, and remember when sitting for long periods at altitude you feet swell...that walk to immigrating can be torture in the wrong shoes lol

Stay hydrated in the aircraft...that's why I always have and extra couple of bottles of water with me, sometimes it's easier than waiting on a FA to get you something...

At your destination you can use the smaller backpack for sightseeing day trips and the like without looking like a first time tourist hauling everything ya own everywhere.

Do some research on where you are going...try to dress & act like you belong there thus keeping a low profile and offering a lesser chance of problems with crime etc.

Quade recommends the neck thingie...I don't like those and can spot someone wearing one two miles away.

I prefer the nylon 'money belt' type thing that goes around your waist. At Walmart for under ten bucks and harder to spot. wrap all your important stuff in plastic ziplock bags to keep it dry.

If staying at a hostel or the like take that money belt with you everywhere including into the shower...

Keep in mind most anywhere you may be going will have both a tourist shopping area, and a locals shopping area with better prices...you can get whatever 'else' you may need, forgot, ran out of...at the local 'wal-mart' type store -

- you don't have to bring everything you may possibly need as if you were going to Mars. Remember travel light - it makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

http://youtu.be/L5UlxHsgD58

Situational awareness and alert knowledge of surroundings will go far in keeping one safe...it's great to talk to strangers, but don't believe everything they say.

And if you DO happen to find yourself involved in a land war in Asia...stay low & don't bunch up! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~