Nataly

How do you find a stolen motorcycle?

Long story short, on Thursday I traded my 2008 R6 against a 2012 Street Triple (carpal tunnel, blah blah). On Sunday the Triumph got stolen.

Now I have contacted the guy in charge of the cameras in the village and reported to the cops and my insurance (no, not insured against theft) but I am wondering if there is anything *I* should be doing to find it? Already been browsing online ads for parts et cetera. Gonna put a sign where it got stolen asking if anyone saw anything... (It *is* a small village and some people do keep an eye on *everything* that goes on...)

Less than half of stolen bikes are found; many are stolen and end-up going directly outside of the country and even outside of the continent. There is a good chance it's in Africa right now.

But advice would be welcome anyway.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

No help from overhear but very sad to hear. I had two race bikes stolen but was lucky to recover both of them. Questionable methods were used and some pain was inflicted. But I had a lead.

If bike theft is such an issue over there is insurance exceptionally high to cover theft? I wish you the best of luck. Was it stolen from your place?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Think positive :)
At least the bad person didn't steal your 2012.

Advise? You could check with the local cop shop and find out how serious the transportation theft problem is. If it's really bad, and you don't want to settle for a push bike either get insurance if it's affordable, or take the spark plug with you when ever you park it. :ph34r:

Hard to steal a motor bike if it wont start;)

One Jump Wonder

Krip

Advise? You could check with the local cop shop and find out how serious the transportation theft problem is. If it's really bad, and you don't want to settle for a push bike either get insurance if it's affordable, or take the spark plug with you when ever you park it. :ph34r:

You have never seen a pickup have you?

They look like this . . .:):P:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Krip

Many bike thefts are lift and go operations using a pickup or a box truck. Some even have lift cranes built to help. Or they slide the bike up a ramp using a bed mounted winch. So sort of chaining he motorcycle to a light post, it doesn't matter.

Many sport bikes become shaved numbered track bikes, most stolen bikes become parts. Use the VIN to track down the motor manufactures number if the VIN isn't stMped on the case. That helps in tracking stone parts.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ummm...yes it was the 2012. She traded the yami off and the triple got ripped off. Not much positive there.

And two people can easily throw that bike in the back of a trailer or truck. She didn't even indicate if it was hauled away or driven. She may no know. But I never assumed it was driven away as I do no know. Easy to steal a 400 lb object without driving it.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Make sure you alert the local bike shops. Give them a description and VIN, this way if they call in for a key, or new plastic (in the case of sportbikes), it may tip them off.

I used to work at a Suzuki dealer and helped recover several stolen bikes this way. "I need the VIN in order to cut a key". They give you something close, and you arrange for an officer to be around the corner when they show up.

Best of luck.

Thanks - had not thought of this.

Pretty bummed. [:/]

And yes, it was the 2012 that was stolen. Not sure if it was ridden away or hauled away. The camera footage is being looked at for any suspicious behaviour. Also I put up a poster for the local villagers to alert me if they saw anything dodgy - can't remember if I mentioned this or not.

Not holding my breath, to be honest.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

kenthediver

Hi Nats,bummer! Did you get all the keys for the bike? Any chance the original owner stole it back to re-sell? (Note, a good chance this is not the case but....)

Hmm, I was thinking exactly the same thing, Southern France on the Italian border, been there, done that,
I even had my daughters chipped>:( Nataly expand your search to Italy, Morocco, Algeria and Marseille.

Gone fishing

kenthediver

Hi Nats,bummer! Did you get all the keys for the bike? Any chance the original owner stole it back to re-sell? (Note, a good chance this is not the case but....)

Interesting thought, considering how only a few days elapsed between sale and theft.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Years ago I had sold one of my home built FXR bikes and bought a new dresser.
5 days after the guy bought my old bike, it was stolen off his patio.
Who the hell is dumb enough to leave a custom bike out in the open was my first question.
Asking the insurance investigator WTF he was asking me questions for was my second.
Yeah, they thought I stole it!
:S:D:D:D

I hate bike thieves. >:(

normiss

Who the hell is dumb enough to leave a custom bike out in the open was my first question.

I hate bike thieves. >:(

Depends where you live I guess. Bike theft is not much an issue around these parts.(That coming from a guy that has had two bikes stolen :)
Oh and... I hate all thieves!

Put an advert "Wanted to buy" in the paper, supermarket or on Ebay, for the same sort of bike..

I did that one time and the reply I got was from the thief who had my goodies.

Busted!.

Its a long shot but worth a go. Sometimes thieves can be
pretty stupid.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Well, Nat's motorcycle problem certainly makes my latest bike problem seem trivial. I came back from cycling yesterday, opened the garage door, and this caught my eye.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Well, Nat's motorcycle problem certainly makes my latest bike problem seem trivial. I came back from cycling yesterday, opened the garage door, and this caught my eye.

Of course it's all relative but still annoying to discover your tire like that [:/]
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Friend of mine had this problem. He went around to the biker bars, looking for "some parts" for his model make of bike. Didn't take long for someone to let him know of a guy that had, just the stuff. He went over the buy parts. The guy took him in the basement where low and behold his bike was in pieces. My friend then produced his leg iron and made the guy reassemble the bike.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

Friend of mine had this problem. He went around to the biker bars, looking for "some parts" for his model make of bike. Didn't take long for someone to let him know of a guy that had, just the stuff. He went over the buy parts. The guy took him in the basement where low and behold his bike was in pieces. My friend then produced his leg iron and made the guy reassemble the bike.

Justice served is a beautiful thing.

grue

My CBR600 got stolen in February of last year, I'm -still- angry about it. Cops told me it would have been stripped down or shipped out within a matter of days, didn't even bother showing up to take a report.

Ugh.

:( Sorry about this. Here the cops are obliged to take a report but the report I read when I came home is totally full of mistakes. Wrong day for the incident, wrong place where it was parked, the description for the bike didn't even include the colour... So they might as well not have taken the report at all...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss