Dumpster

Wings container question -

The quilted backpad is pretty darned comfy, for me its a "got to have" but I like my personal rig to be really comfy. I have a few hundred jumps on not comfy rigs and I feel like I owe it to myself to chip in the little bit extra for the comfort.

Remember, get the rig you want, rather then a compromise, since if you make a compromise you'll find yourself wanting another rig before you need to buy another rig.

EDIT: I jump a Wings.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have it on my Wings and recommend it. You will be less likely to feel the reserve toggles (good packing helps here too) and Cypres control cable.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Sometimes I seriously wonder if I actually got a quilted back pad or not. I ordered and paid for it, but have no idea if what I got is what they describe.

I can't tell the difference betwen my back pad and those of any other rig out there without such an option. The only difference is I have diamond stiching as you'd expect with a quilt, but there's no padding.

I just went and felt the rig - I can feel the reserve risers, cypres, main canopy; all sorts of lumps and bumps - it really feels just like any other rig.

Could anyone post a pic? I seriously have no idea if I actually ended up with the option or not.

Still comfy on my back mind.

I can't tell the difference betwen my back pad and those of any other rig out there without such an option. The only difference is I have dimond stiching as you'd expect with a quilt, but there's no padding.

Maybe this particular rig w/o the backpad is extremely uncomfortable? It seems like many mfgs ring you out for every penny over the asking price. Wings seems to have an awful lot of options, so the base price looks good, but adding in the "options" (many of which, imo, should just be standard) can get pricey.:S Just looking at some of the things that other mfgs charge for like articulated harness, mfg own monograms, hackey, etc... makes me glad I ordered a Voodoo (which is supposed to be comfy at no extra chargeB|) . I think the new Icon even comes standard with ss hardware. :P

Just a thought.
-A

Am I one of the last alive that ordered my rig (2 years ago) without stainless, hip rings, and with wide risers and chest strap? I see plenty of main lift webs that distort when people bend over, even with fancy rings. I know there is some advantage for fit, I guess mostly when in a sit. Now the chest rings, that I really cannot understand the benefit. Webbing is quite flexible isn't it?

I am just cheap and old fashioned I guess.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Am I one of the last alive that ordered my rig (2 years ago) without stainless, hip rings, and with wide risers and chest strap?

Yes. :D

I think when things get to a certain level of popularity, they should just make them standard. Order in bulk, put certain things on every rig, it'll cost less if everything you build has those options. So, the cost increase in base price would not be as great as the current base + cost of popular options.

But, like you say, maybe these aren't as popular of options as I may thing. However, if you have a certain backpad that is more comfortable than others you use, just discontinue the latter and make the former standard. Sheesh, not many people buy a new rig hoping to be uncomfortable. B|

Angela.

Perhaps I did get it then. At least I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

The backpad I really was impressed with (on one level at least) was the new Odyssey backpad.

That had really thick gel like padding covered in that mesh which is supposed to promote aeration and prevent sweaty backs etc. Y'know the sort of padding you get on really expensive rucksacks.

Only misgiving I had with that though was the fact that I really couldn't see it lasting more than a couple of hundred jumps unless you took especially good care of it (literally - no hyperbole). By comparison to cordura it is frightfully fragile... especially considering it's in contact with the ground each and every time you pack.

He he - on the bright side, at least you'll have your replacement container in time for when your first one wears out... so long as you order it as soon as you receive the first one that is.

Just kidding - no one has to "big up" Javelin's - they're the market leader and will be for a long time.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if I actually got a quilted back pad or not. I ordered and paid for it, but have no idea if what I got is what they describe.

I can't tell the difference betwen my back pad and those of any other rig out there without such an option. The only difference is I have diamond stiching as you'd expect with a quilt, but there's no padding.

It was the opinion of the shop I ordered mine from that it really didn't make a heck of a difference on comfort, more about appearance. Since I'm used to diving with a steel plate on my back, I didn't bother.

Short of trying one with it, I may never know the difference. And ignorance is bliss!

I don't have the padding on the back of my Wings container. What makes the difference for me is the Cut-In Laterals :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I don't have the padding on the back of my Wings container. What makes the difference for me is the Cut-In Laterals :)

I was all ready to buy a new Wings container with cut in laterals, but heard this weekend that a friend is selling hers. Problem is, the cut in laterals really put pressure on her weight belt under canopy. She wears 17#, so puts the weights pretty much all the way around her belt. I ususally put some back there, but only wear 8-12 pounds.

Anyone else have a problem, or not, with weight belts and cut-in laterals, on Wings or on other containers?

I have read a few complaints in other threads about the cut-in being uncomfortable, some only noticed when under canopy. I would think this is something best tested with a demo, pretty important to get it right.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

quick and simple....get every single option you can afford and want....then....steel some extra money from the milk can....and get some other really neat options...got all the options I could have afforded...and some I didn't need were the tye dye that is about all that I didn't get. Go Figure.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Maybe this particular rig w/o the backpad is extremely uncomfortable? It seems like many mfgs ring you out for every penny over the asking price. Wings seems to have an awful lot of options, so the base price looks good, but adding in the "options" (many of which, imo, should just be standard) can get pricey.

The Wings is extremely comfortable with or without the padded backpad. Both of mine are non padded and very comfortable.

As to your second point, the whole idea of a low base price and lots of options is central to the Wings philosophy. Henri, the designer, believes that gear is too expensive generally and wanted to make the Wings affordable to people with limited budgets. That way, they are not forced to pay for options like stainless steel if they don't want them. The more options there are, the more you can tailor your rig to your personal desires and your means. If you want to load it up with options, go ahead. Remember, all it takes is money !

;););)

That had really thick gel like padding covered in that mesh which is supposed to promote aeration and prevent sweaty backs etc. Y'know the sort of padding you get on really expensive rucksacks.

Teardrops, Zeroxes and Nexts also come with this option...my new Next has it, and it's luverley...B|yet to see how long it lasts though....;)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I talked to a couple folks at the DZ, it appears the quitling may be just that, quilting with little or no addtional padding. I'll be calling the manufacturer today with some questions and will add that to the list. In the meantime I'm still playing around with the color program on the website - Good way to waste the company's money, eh?

Easy Does It

my wings just arrived about an hour ago by courier. i am hoping someone can answer a simple question for me.
is there and if so where is the reserve card kept? can you keep it on the rig? i have not recieved all my paper work from my dealer yet to read the manual but i can not see a pocket for this.
I got the quilted back pad and it does not seem to have any padding behind the stitching but i guess this will tell me if it is worth it or not when sitting on the ride to alttitude.
Also got tye die option, i am not the happiest with this but, hey it is brand new got all options....i aint complaining.
cany wait to jump this wings;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store