swisschris62

Landing gear failure

riggerrob

That spoof includes a computer-generated-image of a Boeing 727 tri-jet.
Last thing I heard (???) was that Boeing 727s were banned form most North American airports because they are TOO LOUD!

Only a few airports (at least in the US) have noise restrictions. While the 727 is quite loud FedEx operated a great many of them until a few years ago when they started phasing them out for 757 airframes.

Most aircraft that have noise restrictions take off at lower than full power settings and climb as steeply as possible until certain altitudes. The airports that are concerned with noise (Santa Ana, CA is a prime example) either have curfews, use the runways deemed to have the lowest noise impact when weather permits, or both. If an aircraft violates a decibel level off the end of the runway it is recorded and the operator fined.

I think the 727 died out due to a combination of lack of efficiency and extensive maintenance costs associated with older aircraft, which is fine since they land like shit anyway.

You make several good points, however my understanding was that 727s were too loud while LANDING. To compensate for the massive amounts of drag generated by their massive leading edge flaps, they had to carry massive amounts of power on final approach. That extra power generated massive amounts of noise complaints from NIMBY neighbours.

As an aside ... airport noise complaints are not directly related to decibels. Back during the 1960s my uncle used to make sarcastic comments about his neighbours who bought houses near Dorval Airport (Montreal) THEN started complaining about airliner noise!