guineapiggie101

speeding ticket

guineapiggie101

I guess that is the best way to go with it. I'm a bit worried at how much $$ the fine will be, as well as the traffic school. But I DO want to avoid the point off my license.

Thanks for all your help. And it's been entertaining reading the speeding anecdotes on here from othersB|.

I need to pay more attention to my speed when I drive.

The fine won't be cheap.

But the cost of having a "serious" offense on your record will be worse.

Here in the US, anything 15 over posted or more is a pretty big deal. Comparable to "reckless driving." Usually a 6 point offense.

For a Commercial Driver's License holder, 2 of these sorts of offenses will result in license suspension. (Commercial privileges).

Unless the citation has some real doubt to it, you are probably best off pleading guilty, paying the fine and taking the traffic school option.
If the cop got you for real, with radar or laser or similar, fighting it is usually pretty futile.

You might go see an attorney. Pay the $20 or $50 or whatever for an initial consult, and see what he (or she) says.

And, just to be a bit picky, it's not points off your license. It's points assessed against your license.
A "clean" record has zero points on it. Each conviction adds points. You can accumulate so many points in a specific time frame (in Wisconsin, if you get 12 points in a year, you get suspended for 2 months).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This happened about 15 years ago to me.

Put my old diesel truck in the shop....got a rental car from Enterprise.

They didn't have my cheap car so they upgraded me to a Riviera.
That thing was NICE!

Driving on Hwy 290 out of Houston to Austin...flying along and popped an overpass in Prairie View.

Cop was in the tall grass and I knew that I was screwed, oh well.

I just slowed down, pulled over, got the documents and leaned against the trunk.

The cop arrives, no lights, gets out and I give him the rental agreement, insurance and my DL.

Then he said "you were going kind of fast weren't you?"

My reply was "No sir, I was hauling ass, at least 85 mph....cause I drive an old truck and the rental car company upgraded me with this thing."

He goes back to his car, checks everything via the radio and returns after about five minutes or so.

I know that it's gonna be a big ticket, damn.

This is what he said "you're the first honest SOB that I've run into in a long time, btw you were going 87 mph.....just slow it down."

No ticket!

Don't go away mad....just go away!

:D I think around 1974 or 75 four of us from Lakeland, FL were partying in Orlando. We were going home around 3AM. 1969 Chevy Kingswood station wagon. We were cruising 85-90 mph when a State Trooper pulled me over on I-4. At the time I still had an out-of-state DL. The cop asked me the usual ..where we were going, etc. The car had FL tag and the cop asked if I was working in Florida. I was. He then told us that since there was not much traffic at that time of the morning (good luck with that now!) to keep the speed down and go on home. He then handed me a card with his home address in another county, ph #, etc. He said I had x amount of time to get a FL DL and that I needed to give that card to the DMV so they could mail it to him with verification that I had done so. 1970s were a different time! I flipped that car in a heavy rainstorm about a year later. That was the day I began wearing seat belts.

PS: to the OP ...do the traffic school.

maxmadmax

This happened about 15 years ago to me.

Put my old diesel truck in the shop....got a rental car from Enterprise.

They didn't have my cheap car so they upgraded me to a Riviera.
That thing was NICE!

Driving on Hwy 290 out of Houston to Austin...flying along and popped an overpass in Prairie View.

Cop was in the tall grass and I knew that I was screwed, oh well.

I just slowed down, pulled over, got the documents and leaned against the trunk.

The cop arrives, no lights, gets out and I give him the rental agreement, insurance and my DL.

Then he said "you were going kind of fast weren't you?"

My reply was "No sir, I was hauling ass, at least 85 mph....cause I drive an old truck and the rental car company upgraded me with this thing."

He goes back to his car, checks everything via the radio and returns after about five minutes or so.

I know that it's gonna be a big ticket, damn.

This is what he said "you're the first honest SOB that I've run into in a long time, btw you were going 87 mph.....just slow it down."

No ticket!

It does depend on the cop and his attitude, and your attitude. Good job! :D

Years ago, I was late leaving home one morning for work and as soon as I got on the highway, I sped up to 80 and when one car passed by in the left lane, I moved over to caravan with it. Almost immediately, I noticed flashing lights behind me. I figured maybe he was going after the guy that passed me so I moved over to the right lane. Trooper pulled even with me and held... I looked over at him, he gave me the "come with me" finger... "aw fuck" I said... then he pulled ahead to chase the other guy down and I followed. Once he pulled over, the trooper got behind me in the median, then the other speeder started to think he was pulling ME over and started to take off but the trooper put a quick stop to that so we ended up Me, Trooper, other speeder on the shoulder in that order. He dealt with that guy first, then told me to come join him in his cruiser. I casually told him "man, I guess I need to leave home earlier" his response "there you go", and tore up the ticket he was writing and gave me a warning.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hope I'm not too late to the thread, but I used this website in the past. It gives a step by step guide on speeding tickets in California. It's very detailed and covers most scenarios. PM me if you want any further details in my experiences and what I have done.

http://www.ticketassassin.com

Also a quick note: I'm not a lawyer and not the owner of the linked website. Just trying to help and share my experience with the California speeding ticket process.

When we lived in if no the motorcycle cops used to wash their cycles in our company motor pool.

Got pulled over a couple of times for going to fast:( Gave them our drivers license
Then they would ask us where we worked:o

As soon as they found out it was the same company, were they got there free
Self service indoor cycle wash. We got a pass:)
Until one day we got caught in a speed trap. The officer apologized for writing us a ticket, explained that his Sgt was running the trap, and he didn't have any choice.[:/]

No sweat dude:D

One Jump Wonder

Traffic lawyers plea you down to a non moving violation that has a higher fine than the speeding ticket. They also charge on top of that for their services.

It's cheaper in the long run than the insurance hike, but take the traffic school deal.
I'm the kind of guy who stops the microwave at 1 second just to feel like a bomb defuser.

Shmuly

Traffic lawyers plea you down to a non moving violation that has a higher fine than the speeding ticket.

They also hypnotize you, collect your DNA and clone you. Then they use the clones to claim your estate's assets when you die.
Hey, I know a guy who knew a guy who that happened to. So that's what happens.

They also charge on top of that for their services.

The horror.

3rd post on this site and you're already a genius. Come on over and join us in Speaker's Corner. I think you'd be quite useful there.